This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Roy Harding

What a cracker
« on: February 18, 2014, 06:18:16 pm »
I clean this house and some of the panels of glass cost around £40,000 to replace. Cleaned it today and it was like this on one side.

As I said what a cracker  ;D

Roy

Simon Mess

Re: What a cracker
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 06:58:57 pm »
Hope that wasn't you  :o ;D

Roy Harding

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:08:36 pm »
Nah its on the inside. :o

Simon Mess

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:11:27 pm »
Hmm......., kid having a tantrum?, mum and dad having a fight?........... ;D

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 08:07:47 am »
Hi Roy,

Do they know what caused it?

The reason for asking is that my son had the same thing happen with his french doors, but with his it was the outside pane.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

bobplum

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 08:08:53 am »
sometimes its a pressure point on the glass

Roy Harding

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 08:18:24 am »
Hi Spruce

They said it just exploded.

Roy

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 08:26:06 am »
You could have a point there Bob.

A well known double glazing company fitted the replacement glass panel and they didn't know what caused the break.

It seem to start from a point and spread out like Roy's photo. There was nothing inside the glass and nothing on the floor outside.

We had a Renault 12 back in the 1982 when we lived in Africa and we got hit by a stone when we were travelling to the coast on holiday. There was no damage to the windscreen but when we got to the car the next morning the whole screen was shattered just like that.

I think it was the regulation back then that all windscreens had to be made of armour glass but I think that changed later to what they use today, laminated safety glass.

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 08:28:46 am »
Hi Spruce

Roy

Hi Roy

Thanks for that, because it would appear as though the same thing happened to theirs. It happened overnight, no excessive cold or wind etc.

TomCrowther

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 02:13:30 pm »
They can go ping anytime.

Craig downey

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 04:50:28 pm »
I have cause a few of these!! Strimmer love to fire small stone, normally towards the biggest window on the house!  :'(

Perfect Windows

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 05:11:09 pm »
Hi Spruce

Roy

I bet you're glad you weren't cleaning them at the time they decided to pop.

One of my earliest cleans, a glazed unit just popped just before I arrived.  I thought it was a lucky escape as they would otherwise have been convinced it was me.

Vin

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 06:43:35 pm »
Hi Spruce

Roy

One of my earliest cleans, a glazed unit just popped just before I arrived.  I thought it was a lucky escape as they would otherwise have been convinced it was me.

Vin

Hi Vin

I think as newbies we all had situations that arose that caught us off guard. I can remember a house we did traditionally for a few years when we first started. We then changed over to wfp and had done them maybe half a dozen times.

I was just about to put the brush up to the bathroom window when I noticed the opener window had a crack right across it. The owner wasn't in and I truely had to stop and give this some more thought as to what to do. It was a window with some coloured leaded patterns on it.

As I had already done the windows in front of the house, I decided I would clean the backs but wouldn't clean the bathroom window. I put a ticket through the door and noted my observation and told her that I hadn't cleaned that window.

I popped back in the afternoon and she hadn't even noticed it was cracked which made me feel as though it could be down to me. She got the glasing company in to replace it and they told her that she was just unlucky. They felt the window had be cracked for a few weeks due to a slight bit of moisture between the glass, that thankfully  let me off the hook.

We cleaned the house for many years after that until she died about 18 months ago. We continued to clean the windows until the beneficiaries to her estate sold the house. The new owners are quite happy to live with filthy windows.

Roy Harding

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 06:46:24 pm »
Hi Spruce

Roy

Vin

I swapped to a insurance company that covers the glass that you are working on because of this house. Some of the glass will cost £43,000 to replace, and I would of had to sell my house to pay for it.

Roy

PoleKing

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 07:43:58 pm »
Hi Spruce

Roy

Vin

I swapped to a insurance company that covers the glass that you are working on because of this house. Some of the glass will cost £43,000 to replace, and I would of had to sell my house to pay for it.

Roy

You should get oop narth. You could buy a house for that.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 08:23:48 pm »
Hi Spruce

Roy

Vin

Roy

I think that was a good decision.