This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JSMC

anyone still strap their tanks in?
« on: February 17, 2014, 09:34:59 pm »
curious to see if folks still do this. when ye think about it  trucks travel all over the place with ibc  tanks in the back of them n  are not strapped down. i used to order chemicals in my last job and these guys were driving from  all over europe with some amount of chemicals that were jus tloaded on by forklift and that was it. IBC tanks ar enot even baffled.

Simon Mess

Re: anyone still strap their tanks in?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:38:15 pm »
Absolutely, that is what the load securing points in the back of a van are for, and if done correctly, it is perfectly safe!

bobplum

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 09:44:37 pm »
Absolutely, that is what the load securing points in the back of a van are for, and if done correctly, it is perfectly safe!
+1

Bill.upnw

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:46:35 pm »
You wouldnt want to crash with a tank strapped in, specially if youve nothing inbetween you and the tank...them strap hooks in the bk of the van are welded to panel, no way would them panels withstand 700ltr/kg...

Securing the tank to the chassis is by far the safest way

wpclean

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:14:05 pm »
Depends if you put the saving of money, over the value of your life ?

Bill.upnw

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 10:15:12 pm »
Yea, and any people you carry in the van too

Perfect Windows

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:16:21 pm »
Look at the crash at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMl-WQ5XkMI .  Time from hitting wall at 45mph to dead stop of around 70 milliseconds, so 0.07 seconds.  Acceleration = -287m/s/s.

Force = mass x acceleration so you get an effective weight of a 650L tank during that deceleration of 186 tons.  A 1000L tank would be about 287 tons.

Now the news is that that was an empty van in the video, so your full van will take more time to stop and increase the amount of the van that crumples, but the numbers are a good indication of the scale of the problem.  If your luggage hooks/straps can't take a couple of hundred tons then you're going to have a headache.

Before you all respond, I know I'm wrong and that your mate was unharmed a 200mph crash with a 2 ton bale of paper in the back secured with a bungee cord to a paper clip round the back bumper but the physics is unassailable.  I also know that you've never heard of anyone being hurt in an accident so it can't possibly happen.

Vin

8weekly

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 10:23:30 pm »
Look at the crash at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMl-WQ5XkMI .  Time from hitting wall at 45mph to dead stop of around 70 milliseconds, so 0.07 seconds.  Acceleration = -287m/s/s.

Force = mass x acceleration so you get an effective weight of a 650L tank during that deceleration of 186 tons.  A 1000L tank would be about 287 tons.

Now the news is that that was an empty van in the video, so your full van will take more time to stop and increase the amount of the van that crumples, but the numbers are a good indication of the scale of the problem.  If your luggage hooks/straps can't take a couple of hundred tons then you're going to have a headache.

Before you all respond, I know I'm wrong and that your mate was unharmed a 200mph crash with a 2 ton bale of paper in the back secured with a bungee cord to a paper clip round the back bumper but the physics is unassailable.  I also know that you've never heard of anyone being hurt in an accident so it can't possibly happen.

Vin
Would a couple of bolts stop 287 tons? And if you hit a wall at 45mph I would think the tank behind you would be the least of your problems.

Bill.upnw

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 10:27:33 pm »
8weekly,

Yes, have you never watched the crash tests demo vid they have on brodex, pure freedom ect?

Jonny 87

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:29:39 pm »
8weekly,

Yes, have you never watched the crash tests demo vid they have on brodex, pure freedom ect?

8 weekly wasn't talking about Mira tested systems.

Some people feel like just because theirs is bolted through the floor it will withstand a crash. Wrong. DIY and bolting it through the floor yourself is not much better than using the anchor points.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

ben M

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 10:29:52 pm »
You wouldnt want to crash with a tank strapped in, specially if youve nothing inbetween you and the tank...them strap hooks in the bk of the van are welded to panel, no way would them panels withstand 700ltr/kg...

Securing the tank to the chassis is by far the safest way
+1

8weekly

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 10:34:56 pm »
8weekly,

They weren't at 45 mph and they are quite different fixings to the tank frames that people on here are fitting. Wasn't the Pure Freedom tank empty?

Bill.upnw

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 10:49:30 pm »
Haha you obviously no nothing about vehicles mate, if your trying to tell me that having some straps to the ancir points in the back of the van is SAFER than having it bolted to your chassis, your an idiot and shouldnt be giving people advice

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 11:08:19 pm »
Strapped  & wedged in to limit momentum.

No more dangerous than your wives & kids going out in a fiesta or fiat 500 etc.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 11:14:48 pm »
My 1000L IBC is stuck down with blu-tac.
It's a game of three halves!

Jonny 87

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 11:37:12 pm »
Haha you obviously no nothing about vehicles mate, if your trying to tell me that having some straps to the ancir points in the back of the van is SAFER than having it bolted to your chassis, your an idiot and shouldnt be giving people advice

Hope your not talking about my post?    :'(

If you are, I think you need to re-read the post my friend. (Plus the irony of you calling someone else an idiot ???) :)

I said DIY bolted through floor is "not much" better than ratchet straps.

If you crash at any decent speed it will rip the floor of the van up. Only if the correct weight distribution plates are used underneath the vans flooring is it safe.....ish.

You get people stick a few bolts through the floor and they think they are solid.

Then there's those who drill through the chassis with out thinking about the structural integrity of the chassis itself.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Bill.upnw

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 12:00:24 am »
I dont understand how you can say having a system bolted to the chassis is "not much" safer than straps?! Lmfao you are nuts pal.

Jonny 87

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 12:13:37 am »
I dont understand how you can say having a system bolted to the chassis is "not much" safer than straps?! Lmfao you are nuts pal.

If not done properly it really isn't.

Also remember the anchor points are bolted to the chassis. :)

Doesn't matter to me anyway,
I use a high tech combination of paper clips and Pritt stick. It's never budged!

;D

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 12:51:43 am »
Not rocket science lads... ratchet straps AND bolt to the floor!  ;D

I have only ever used straps, and have been hit once from behind at 40-50mph, and the tank didnt budge.

Mike #1

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 06:21:11 am »
My flat tank is strapped in across the top to stop upwards shift in the event of an accident and has wood wedged down the sides to stop sideways shift .

Also have a double bulkhead and my tank does not move an inch . Mike