This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

andyralph

split relay
« on: February 17, 2014, 05:02:47 pm »
hi all just sorting my van out and going for two man set up can i run both leisure batterys off my split relay thanks andy

bobplum

Re: split relay
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:35:00 pm »
cant see why not....but im sure someone will correct me ;D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 05:38:03 pm »
Spruce may come along and give you all the maths, but unless you do a fair amount of driving split charges aint that great.

I drive 30 miles a day and that JUST about charges my battery.

looking at hours worth of driving = around 5 - 10 amps of power put back into battery!

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:12:22 pm »
hi all just sorting my van out and going for two man set up can i run both leisure batterys off my split relay thanks andy

Hi

Personally I would use a second 30 amp split charge relay, ie., a relay for each battery. In this case they must be intelligent type split charge relays.

Some of the more expensive split charge relays with a higher amperage rating (+- 100 amp)  with the equivalent rated supply cable and fuses will charge a bank of batteries, but for the lower end of the market, which is fine for us, I would go for two.

We use a 110 amph leisure battery and its fine to run 2 Shurflo pumps with controllers all day.

As has been said by Pure H20 Services a backup split charge relay is a good accessory to have, but you will still need to put a battery charger on each battery every couple of days depending on mileage travelled.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

robert mitchell

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 04:08:48 pm »
Spruce may come along and give you all the maths, but unless you do a fair amount of driving split charges aint that great.

looking at hours worth of driving = around 5 - 10 amps of power put back into battery!

i find this quite odd as i do between 15 and 30 miles and have never had to charge my battery , i use a car battery rather than a leisure battery though and as i understand it a car battery can take a higher charge rate .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 05:47:13 pm »
You can't compare a leisure battery and car battery.

A leisure battery will accept a max of 10amps ish an hour.

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:19:28 pm »
Can a 2 man system be run off the main van battery? Thats how we have used our 1 man with no problems

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 07:02:20 pm »

i find this quite odd as i do between 15 and 30 miles and have never had to charge my battery , i use a car battery rather than a leisure battery though and as i understand it a car battery can take a higher charge rate .

In our experience with leisure batteries, it isn't the distance you drive that matters, but rather the time it takes to drive that distance. 10miles at 60MPH will take you 10 minutes. 10 miles in stop start traffic may take more than 30 minutes. The alternator will deliver the same amperage of charge to your battery whether your engine is idling or travelling down the motorway. So logically, you battery will get a better charge if it takes you longer to get there.

I would expect that if a voltage was taken of the state of your battery's charge you may find that it isn't fully charged. A battery at 3/4 charge will accept a faster charge than one that is 85 or 90% charged. The last little bit will take a long time.

What I find interesting is that Webasto, who make fuel burning parking heaters to heat the engine and interior of your car in the winter say that if you run the parking heater for 30 minutes to warm your engine up, then you must drive the equivalent amount of time to ensure your battery stays fully charged. That's for a starter battery. A parking heater will draw around as much continous current as a Shurflo pump with a contoller.

Many cleaners manage quite well with their pump connected up to their van battery. It never worked for us on 2 different vans. The most we got was 4 days and then the battery was flat and wouldn't start the van.

Can James run 2 pumps from his van battery? I will stand up and say no, definitely not in our experience. If each pump draws 4 amps an hour and you run your pumps for 4 hours, then thats 32 amps used that day. That's a lot of charge to put back. A big commercial job will probably use more battery power as there will be less stopping. He might get away with it the first day, perhaps even the second day, but I couldn't see him getting through a third day TBH.

A car starter battery is designed to give out a large dose of power for a brief few moments to start the engine. A leisure battery is designed to release it's power much more slowly. We have found that after starting the van, it takes about 20 seconds before you hear the split charge relay kicking in. If the starter motor draws 100 amps, for 2 or 3 seconds, the battery has only lost a tenth of an amp. That's nothing.

When my leisure battery is powering 2 pumps during the day, that charger is on for most of the evening to replace that. If I didn't charge it until the next evening, then I would have to leave the charger on all night as the battery wouldn't be fully charged before I went to bed. My battery is a 110 amph leisure battery.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

robert mitchell

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 12:46:21 am »
You can't compare a leisure battery and car battery.

A leisure battery will accept a max of 10amps ish an hour.

that was exactly my point and the reason that i use a car battery , its still 100ah and copes fine with the pump draw .

never had to charge it since split relay was fitted .

a modern car battery will cope fine with running a pump or two.
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.