This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

What's your main way of rinsing and your type of brush

Off Glass rinse, Monofilament brush
44.9%
31 (44.9%)
Off Glass rinse, Flocked brush
15.9%
11 (15.9%)
On Glass rinse, Monofilament brush
29%
20 (29%)
On Glass rinse, Flocked brush
1.4%
1 (1.4%)
Just voting to see results/trad
8.7%
6 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: February 28, 2014, 09:48:56 pm

Perfect Windows

On/Off glass rinsing Mono/Flocked brush [POLL]
« on: February 14, 2014, 09:48:56 pm »
What's your MAIN combination of rinse methods and brush types if you're WFP?

Peter Fogwill

Re: On/Off glass rinsing Mono/Flocked brush [POLL]
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 11:20:19 pm »
Good to see the majority so far is on the glass rinsing as it is far better for the body.

trippyboy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:27:55 pm »
Good to see the majority so far is on the glass rinsing as it is far better for the body.
Better for the wallet too Pete lol

PoleKing

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 11:30:15 pm »

Less than 30ft-the difference is negligible.
50ft & over-no choice.
Poling at height will ruin shoulders in time no matter how you rinse.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Dave Willis

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 09:19:10 am »
If your rinsing with the brush on - then your not really rinsing anyway - just scrubbing with the water on.

Residential I always rinse off even with a mono brush. Commercial over two floors I normally rinse on.

Jonny 87

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 09:29:57 am »
If your rinsing with the brush on - then your not really rinsing anyway - just scrubbing with the water on.

Residential I always rinse off even with a mono brush. Commercial over two floors I normally rinse on.

Have you tried a flocked brush Dave? If you always rinse off then a flocked brush is great. I've converted to every pole under 25 feet having a flocked brush. The scrubbing power is fantastic.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dd

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 09:32:40 am »
IMO flocked brush scrubs much better. I do not go over 30 ft so nearly always rinse off with flocked brush.

gary999

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 09:40:17 am »
Never been keen on flocked i find they tend to retain grit
dirt crap etc whilst cleaning.

I use mono and rinse off but i only clean at low levels

Jonny 87

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 10:21:04 am »

They do Gary, but as long as you rinse off then it's never a problem. Then every few houses give the bristles a quick flick with your hand to get rid of cobwebs.

I can't recommend flocked brushes enough in this stormy weather. Makes light work of weather beaten glass.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 10:33:13 am »
I generally use a mono-filament brush for all of my regular window cleaning (maximum frequency 2 months).

I also tend to rinse off the glass for the majority of this work as it allows me to get a quick accurate rinse and visually check the glass whilst rinsing.

When working at height (+35ft) I then will rinse on the glass to save strain, but even then I like to use the tilted brush half-on half-off rinsing method if possible.

Having spent all of my working window cleaning life near the coast I have found that rinsing off the glass has consistently offered a better rinse. For those not near the coast this may not be as important.

Jonny 87

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 10:36:48 am »
I tried rinsing on the glass once on a commercial that I could see the insides of. They were terrible, all spotted.

Never again.

Dave Willis

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 10:46:23 am »
Yes I also have flocked brushes. The problem I have with them is the rinse - what happens is I rinse quickly and close to the glass. Sometimes unknown to me the flocked bristles might just trail on the glass without me feeling it or knowing it's happened. I end up with an odd trail of spots going horizontally where I've zig zagged or moved on to the next window. That's why I stopped using them.
I inspect a lot of my windows very closely when I've finished - you'd be surprised at how much dirt isn't taken off and how many spots remain.

Since the storms none of my customers windows are cleaning well enough for my standards with any brush. I certainly wouldn't be happy with the results cleaning like the second vid at the moment. I've had two complaints in seven years, one was a conservatory roof where the algae from the finials washed down the first side cleaned and the other was for smears (impossible). I'm really particular and have never produced perfection yet.  :)

In fact cleaning windows really gets me down because I don't consider the results good enough with wfp. Trad I've never mastered either to the point where the glass is perfect in low sun. Bugs the hell out of me.

Smurf

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 10:55:32 am »
I don't live by the coast so I tend to rinse on the glass on tops using a mono-filament brush.
Ground floor work I can to do it either way depending how awkward the job is.

For me the only time I would use a fully flocked brush is maybe on conservatory roofs, guttering, fascia, soffits etc.

Jonny 87

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 10:59:36 am »
Yes I also have flocked brushes. The problem I have with them is the rinse - what happens is I rinse quickly and close to the glass. Sometimes unknown to me the flocked bristles might just trail on the glass without me feeling it or knowing it's happened. I end up with an odd trail of spots going horizontally where I've zig zagged or moved on to the next window. That's why I stopped using them.
I inspect a lot of my windows very closely when I've finished - you'd be surprised at how much dirt isn't taken off and how many spots remain.

Since the storms none of my customers windows are cleaning well enough for my standards with any brush. I certainly wouldn't be happy with the results cleaning like the second vid at the moment. I've had two complaints in seven years, one was a conservatory roof where the algae from the finials washed down the first side cleaned and the other was for smears (impossible). I'm really particular and have never produced perfection yet.  :)

In fact cleaning windows really gets me down because I don't consider the results good enough with wfp. Trad I've never mastered either to the point where the glass is perfect in low sun. Bugs the hell out of me.

2 complaints in 7 years says otherwise!

Think your being too hard on yourself. Remember that most customers don't stick there nose to the glass like we do looking for spots.

I'm the same as you and I'm very critical of myself. I never get complaints, but sometimes I notice little spots that I'm not happy with.

The customers always are happy though.

gary999

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 11:07:00 am »

They do Gary, but as long as you rinse off then it's never a problem. Then every few houses give the bristles a quick flick with your hand to get rid of cobwebs.

I can't recommend flocked brushes enough in this stormy weather. Makes light work of weather beaten glass.

sorry matey just dont like them,far happier with mono,if you ave crap
from cleaning one window unless you physically remove from a flagged
brush it just gets transfered to next window.

Never get that problem with mono,i also only use a single jet
lots of pressure and accuracy all helps me clean relatively quickly

Jonny 87

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 11:09:06 am »
Single jet? As in one jet in your brush?

gary999

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 03:04:55 pm »
i only use one jet in the brush works a treat,cons fascia cleans
etc i use both jets

robbo333

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 03:11:50 pm »
My weapon of choice is the medium radius sill brush and rinsing off the glass.
I also use a flocked 0 degree brush for leaded and again rinsing off the glass.
Great results for both.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Smudger

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 07:03:15 pm »
I generally use a mono-filament brush for all of my regular window cleaning (maximum frequency 2 months).

I also tend to rinse off the glass for the majority of this work as it allows me to get a quick accurate rinse and visually check the glass whilst rinsing.

When working at height (+35ft) I then will rinse on the glass to save strain, but even then I like to use the tilted brush half-on half-off rinsing method if possible.

Having spent all of my working window cleaning life near the coast I have found that rinsing off the glass has consistently offered a better rinse. For those not near the coast this may not be as important.

Without sounding a brown noser, we are pretty much identical to Alex
Only difference I know of is we use fan jets so lift off is minimal and ringing is quick very rarely get a problem

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Perfect Windows

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 05:06:48 pm »
Thanks to all the people who have voted and posted.

We rinse brush on with mono (radius sill brush).

I really, really like the feel and cleaning power of flocked brushes but I hate the idea of going back to brush off rinsing.  I was hoping the poll might dig up several people rinsing brush on with flocked brushes who were happy with the result but it looks like that isn't happening to many people.

I'm going to give my own windows a go with flocked brush on tomorrow and look at the results.  I'd love it if it worked.  I know it's not meant to but then I was told that rinsing brush on could never work, full stop, so I don't prejudge results any more.  The windows are minging after recent storms so it should be a fair test.

So, thanks again for the votes and comments.

Vin