Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

renewing tape on pole sections
« on: January 30, 2014, 03:01:50 pm »
what tape do you guys use?

i have some electrical insulation tape in different colours so gonna try it.

my extreme 25  tape has nearly all worn away in 7 months!with these poles id of thought they would have woven in banding instead of tape! ::)roll

tomorrow im gonna break it down.wash and flush all sections,dry off,spray with clear lacquer then renew the indicator tape ready for next weeks onslaught.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Alex Gardiner

Re: renewing tape on pole sections
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 03:12:43 pm »

my extreme 25  tape has nearly all worn away in 7 months!with these poles id of thought they would have woven in banding instead of tape! ::)roll

tomorrow im gonna break it down.wash and flush all sections,dry off,spray with clear lacquer then renew the indicator tape ready for next weeks onslaught.

regards

dazmond

PVC electrical insulation tape is exactly the right stuff for this job.

Due to the composition of the High-Modulus cloth used in these poles it is not possible (currently) to have a woven in contrast band.

It is is worth checking and replacing the tape every 3-4 months as this does help the pole to last and operate correctly.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:04:41 pm »
I have noticed that normal electrical tape seems to be too thick.

The grey tape Alex sells is spot on!

I do one loop round and it's perfect.

wfp master

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 05:01:09 pm »
I have noticed that normal electrical tape seems to be too thick.

The grey tape Alex sells is spot on!

I do one loop round and it's perfect.
wrap it round tightly & it thins the tape out.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 05:06:25 pm »
I did try that but the sodding tape kept snapping lol.

You can use normal tape but I swear Alex's is thinner.

dave0123

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 05:21:04 pm »
yeah i tried elec tape and its awkward to get the poles back together it just bunches the pvc tape up when you try push it past the clamps and make sit stiff extending etc.

I might buy some of Alex's tape then.. unless its just thin duct tape because it looks it? lol
Dave.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 05:29:18 pm »
yeah i tried elec tape and its awkward to get the poles back together it just bunches the pvc tape up when you try push it past the clamps and make sit stiff extending etc.

I might buy some of Alex's tape then.. unless its just thin duct tape because it looks it? lol

The tape on our website is PVC electrical tape and is very similar to many electrical tapes. You do need to be careful though as some brands of tape are a good bit thicker.

The important thing is to re-assemble correctly so as not to snag up the tape - to do this you will need to hold the jaws apart with something like an allen key - this video http://youtu.be/KtXwzxNetNE at 2.30 shows how to do it.

dave0123

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 05:42:58 pm »
I did that Alex held the jaws open with allen key still didn't really help much... i will have to have a look at the tape it was just the cheap stuff from tool station so i would of imagine it would be thin.
Dave.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 05:44:25 pm »
A bit of trial & error is required. How many wraps? Depends on thickness of tape, how much you stretch it etc.

It's a simple enough job to do & once you've done it, the next time will be a 5 minute job.

I usually wrap mine approx 2 to 3 layers with the tape I have & make it very tight but not pulled enough to thin the tape out. ;)

dave0123

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 05:51:01 pm »
I just followed Alex's video one complete turn and slightly more as its new ish pole.

it was a tight fit but i didn't pull and stretch the tape.. i have not done it since mind you.
Dave.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 05:54:09 pm »
I just followed Alex's video one complete turn and slightly more as its new ish pole.

it was a tight fit but i didn't pull and stretch the tape.. i have not done it since mind you.

If it doesn't at first fit then it may be needed to fit less tape and try again. Perhaps just one single wrap with no overlap.

There is also a knack to turn the pole as you slide the tape past the clamp. If there is an overlap on the tape, which often there can be, then put this in at the point where the jaws are open not on the back of the clamp as this also makes a difference.

dave0123

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 06:11:20 pm »
Thanks Alex,

will give it a go this weekend as it needs a wash and new tape anyway see how i get on.

looking at your website.. would this PTFE be ok to use on a slx pole

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000063.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2egardinerpolesystems%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fcatalogbody%2ehtml&WD=ptfe%20spray&PN=ptfe-spray-400-ml%2ehtml
Dave.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 06:19:39 pm »
Thanks Alex,

will give it a go this weekend as it needs a wash and new tape anyway see how i get on.

looking at your website.. would this PTFE be ok to use on a slx pole

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000063.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2egardinerpolesystems%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fcatalogbody%2ehtml&WD=ptfe%20spray&PN=ptfe-spray-400-ml%2ehtml

Yes this spray is exactly what I use and we recommend.

dave0123

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 06:21:27 pm »
Thanks for that.
Dave.

ben M

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 07:39:14 pm »

regards

dazmond
you should spray your poles with dry ptfe instead, much better!

ben M

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 07:46:44 pm »

The tape on our website is PVC electrical tape and is very similar to many electrical tapes. You do need to be careful though as some brands of tape are a good bit thicker.

The important thing is to re-assemble correctly so as not to snag up the tape - to do this you will need to hold the jaws apart with something like an allen key - this video http://youtu.be/KtXwzxNetNE at 2.30 shows how to do it.
with the new clamps and don't need to use an allen key! i really like these new clamps  :)

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 04:20:33 pm »
well only needed to renew the tape on the 2 top sections.cleaned and flushed out each pole section,sprayed it with clear lacquer,then i let the sections dry for a few hours,re assembled then sprayed with PTFE lubricant.jobs a good un! ;D ;D

ben M

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 04:23:04 pm »
well only needed to renew the tape on the 2 top sections.cleaned and flushed out each pole section,sprayed it with clear lacquer,then i let the sections dry for a few hours,re assembled then sprayed with PTFE lubricant.jobs a good un! ;D ;D
clear lacquer + dry ptfe  :o :o
what is the point?

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 05:19:32 pm »
ben it reduces the wear on the pole plus no black hands due to the shiny finish!great tip from a guy on here!i cant remember his name! ;)