This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pokerpest

No pleasing some people
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:03:42 am »
Just a few weeks ago I slipped while WFP and hit a custys bathroom window with the edge of my brush and cracked the outside pane. Disaster! So I check there is no one in run off..................................... Well that is what I should have done but no I went and arrange straight away for a window fitter to come and measure up the broken pane and pay to have it replaced, unfortunately it was a Friday afternoon and I was informed it would take 5 working days to get the glass made. That evening I traveled back to chat with the custy and offer my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and for my clumsiness and make them aware that the wheels had been set in motion to have the broken window replaced. The custy to be fair took the news very well and seemed happy I had acted so quickly to have it rectified and I passed on my personal mobile number so we could keep in touch over the matter come Monday morning I get a text message asking me for an update on the window replacement and I remind custy it was going to be 5 working days for the glass to be made and this was only day 1 over the rest of the week I get 3-5 text messages a day for updates from the custy and then again over the weekend I get more messages which I am now ignoring. Sunday evening comes and I get a call demanding more information on the window replacement from custy so I provide him with the window fitters number and all seems well. Next evening I get a phone call from custy again ranting and raving about how long this is taking and how I have left him in danger with a broken window and how it doesn't take 3 weeks to get a window fixed I am now starting to get hot under the collar and ask when you contacted the window fitter when did he arrange to replace your window and the reply is 12 oclock tomorrow so biting my tongue I advise the custy he should calm down and wait on the window fitter but no custy wants to shout some more about how he is getting another window fitter round the next day to have a look at the job. Eventually I get custy calmed a little and I ring the window fitter for a quick check he wont be late or anything and leave it at that. Next day 12oclock window fitter rings no custy to give him access to replace window I ask him to leave a card or note asking custy to rearrange date for fitting, that evening custy rings ranting and raving about how his window was still not fixed and how I was taking the p'ss, I pointed out he had booked a time and didnt show up he said he was getting another window fitted and I would have to pay I now had took enough and told him in a not so polite way to do as he wished but I would not be paying for another window or fitter and after a bit of shouting I hung up the phone. Half an hour later the window fitter phones and said he just had a full row with the custy too who told him to put the window in a skip he didnt want it that he was getting a better window fitter who would not need him in to replace the window I told him it was up to himself if he still wanted to attempt the job and he replaced the window nearly a week later phoning me after to tell me the job was complete.

Anyone else ever come across unpleasable customers and perhaps did I go about the repair the wrong way?

Maybe I should just turn up next month like nothing happened and break another?

bobplum

Re: No pleasing some people
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 07:55:06 am »
keep a note of everything, dates, times, conversations, including the fitters information and his side of the story.
send a letter straight away to the client outlining all you have done and put on it the cost to you, ie the fitters rates, replacement glass etc and how basically the customer failed to assist you, ie not being at the agreed time

If the client tries to claim more refuse to pay

I believe under law you have a right to rectify the problem before a client can just decide to do it there way, ie more expensive way so all this information will be needed to justify not paying the difference, so if your bill is £200 and the clients £600 then you may need to contest it

jk999

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:45:15 am »
Next time speak to customer first ask them what they want to do , and dont do that customers windows again that was disrespectful  what he did to you if he can act like that towards you imagine what he will be like if you dont do his windows properly , plus he probably doesnt want you near his house anyway . He's probably slagging you off to his neighbours he's a complete dck by sounds off it

Pokerpest

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 12:24:01 am »
Thanks for the advise!

Frankybadboy

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 07:06:45 am »
cracking job :D

Pete Thompson

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 10:21:30 am »
Unbelievable!

Some people are just idiots.  They rarely get to yell at anyone and get a little power trip when the opportunity presents itself.

I think you were pretty calm and reasonable under the circumstances.

Personally I would have probably asked the customer first and given them the opportunity to decide what they wanted (ie you getting it fixed or them getting it fixed and you paying)

A window cleaner I once knew was balancing on ladders over a conservatory, when the ladders collapsed and he fell through it.  The conservatory was the old fashioned type, and it completely collapsed.  So total loss of the conservatory, and (here's the worst bit) he had no PL insurance.

The customers came running to him and although he wasn't hurt too bad they insisted he go to hospital immediately and drove him there at high speed.  Aside some scratches from all the broken glass and some scrapes he was alright.

Anyway he went back a few days later to try and see what could be done about this conservatory and the customer jut laughed and said forget about it, we'll claim on the insurance, just concentrate on getting back to full health! 

Sure enough they claimed, had a new conservatory built, and all was well.  As far as I know they are still a customer of his.

So some custies are idiots, others a gems.

Rayleigh Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 03:37:41 pm »
Unbelievable!

Some people are just idiots.  They rarely get to yell at anyone and get a little power trip when the opportunity presents itself.

I think you were pretty calm and reasonable under the circumstances.

Personally I would have probably asked the customer first and given them the opportunity to decide what they wanted (ie you getting it fixed or them getting it fixed and you paying)

A window cleaner I once knew was balancing on ladders over a conservatory, when the ladders collapsed and he fell through it.  The conservatory was the old fashioned type, and it completely collapsed.  So total loss of the conservatory, and (here's the worst bit) he had no PL insurance.

The customers came running to him and although he wasn't hurt too bad they insisted he go to hospital immediately and drove him there at high speed.  Aside some scratches from all the broken glass and some scrapes he was alright.

Anyway he went back a few days later to try and see what could be done about this conservatory and the customer jut laughed and said forget about it, we'll claim on the insurance, just concentrate on getting back to full health! 

Sure enough they claimed, had a new conservatory built, and all was well.  As far as I know they are still a customer of his.

So some custies are idiots, others a gems.

Now thats a good customer in my book

Dougaldum

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 04:01:54 pm »
My m8 broke a pane of glass Georgian 6in 4in told customer she was fine but next door neighbour got involved saying you Will get burgled now if the glass is not done on that day it was a friday window fitter could only make it Monday and she kept on going on and on about getting burgled other people should mind their own business :o

capn sparkle

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 04:22:16 pm »
My m8 broke a pane of glass Georgian 6in 4in told customer she was fine but next door neighbour got involved saying you Will get burgled now if the glass is not done on that day it was a friday window fitter could only make it Monday and she kept on going on and on about getting burgled other people should mind their own business :o

lol Would have to be Buzz Lightyear to get thro a 6 x 4in pane