Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Chris - CBWC

Re: DI vessel won't fill
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 05:50:11 pm »

If you close the waste tap a little more than measure how many liters you are getting? but never fully close it!! if it still doesn't produce more pure water or as fast as you'd like you will need to buy a booster pump such as the one below a lot of people use these including me and there a great pump.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cbm240e-1in-multi-stage-230v-booster-pum

I'll try again tomorrow, wet enough as it is without messing around in the dark!  I'll leave it filling tonight but not overnight.  I would never fully close it, but I'm concerned that having it nearly closed (water out the waste is slow, even though I'm still not at the 60/40 waste ratio, it's more like 70/30) will ruin the membrane quickly, but maybe (hopefully) that's me being paranoid.

Thank you for the pump recommendation but there's no way I'm installing that myself!  No idea who could do that for me though - does it get installed in the van within the tank system to effectively pull the water from the mains and then push it round the tank system quicker or is it fitted in the house.  I don't have electricity in my garage, another of those things that needs sorting.

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 10:47:12 pm »
Sounds like its getting there.
I know its not much help in the immediate but a few suggestions that will make your set up a little easier to adjust and monitor.

it would be really handy to have at least one pressure gauge between the pre filters and ro (will help you keep a check on the condition of the filters and if they are getting blocked/need changing)

put an inline tds meter on the hose from pure outlet to di

as already mentioned, most prefer the di after tank and pump

change the waste valve to a metal needle one, you just won't get the fine adjustment you are going to need with that plastic tap. I even have mine set up (on vyairs recommendation) with a bypass and ball valve, so when the waste to pure ratio is set it is just a matter of opening or closing the bypass valve to flush or produce pure.

good luck with it  ;)

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 10:54:54 pm »

If you close the waste tap a little more than measure how many liters you are getting? but never fully close it!! if it still doesn't produce more pure water or as fast as you'd like you will need to buy a booster pump such as the one below a lot of people use these including me and there a great pump.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cbm240e-1in-multi-stage-230v-booster-pum
I'll try again tomorrow, wet enough as it is without messing around in the dark!  I'll leave it filling tonight but not overnight.  I would never fully close it, but I'm concerned that having it nearly closed (water out the waste is slow, even though I'm still not at the 60/40 waste ratio, it's more like 70/30) will ruin the membrane quickly, but maybe (hopefully) that's me being paranoid.

Thank you for the pump recommendation but there's no way I'm installing that myself!  No idea who could do that for me though - does it get installed in the van within the tank system to effectively pull the water from the mains and then push it round the tank system quicker or is it fitted in the house.  I don't have electricity in my garage, another of those things that needs sorting.
booster pump would have to go after mains tap outlet before it goes into van because it would need mains power or you could van mount it and run an extension lead in to your house ?
Its not as difficult as it sounds and quite straight forward but you really do need to find out what your mains pressure is like first

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 11:01:46 pm »
Try this: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p75711?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googleshopping&mkwid=jx8M2Fhy&pcrid=26799299063&gclid=CJDa1qSBorwCFUETwwodngsA_Q

It is impossible to guess the pressure of your water supply just by looking at it or putting your finger over the outlet.

Interesting that the Screwfix near to me does that exact same one, but for £15 and they put "for washing machine taps only" !  This gauge is also on Amazon (no mention of washing machines!) however I see it has a 3/4" threaded connector, my outdoor tap is 1/2" and not threaded.  I don't know of any connectors/adapters that would allow it to connect to my tap.  In order to attach my garden hose I had to get one of those adjustable mixer tap connectors, tighten it manually then click the Hozelock hose attachment to it.  Palaver.
do you have a washing machine tap in your kitchen off the mains supply ? buy a gauge and test it on that ? is it possible to change your outside tap to a threaded one ? I would not trust those mixer tap connectors , could pop off under pressure  :-\

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 09:25:07 am »
change the waste valve to a metal needle one, you just won't get the fine adjustment you are going to need with that plastic tap. I even have mine set up (on vyairs recommendation) with a bypass and ball valve, so when the waste to pure ratio is set it is just a matter of opening or closing the bypass valve to flush or produce pure.

This sounds perfect - I was going to ask if, prior to filling or topping up the tank, do you need to flush the membrane?  I ask because I disconnected the di to check the reading out of the ro and it was at 150, but gradually dropped down to 18 over a couple of minutes, so I'm thinking it does, but it's a pain having to keep turning waste tap fully open to flush, then guess as to how much to close the tap to get the right ratio, or it's back to measuring jugs and timers - not ideal for a quick top up in the morning before setting off to work.

Pressing open a bypass valve to flush then closing it to produce pure whilst keeping the original setting sounds great - which is the best one?  From Vyair?

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 12:17:55 pm »

This sounds perfect - I was going to ask if, prior to filling or topping up the tank, do you need to flush the membrane?  I ask because I disconnected the di to check the reading out of the ro and it was at 150, but gradually dropped down to 18 over a couple of minutes, so I'm thinking it does, but it's a pain having to keep turning waste tap fully open to flush, then guess as to how much to close the tap to get the right ratio, or it's back to measuring jugs and timers - not ideal for a quick top up in the morning before setting off to work.

Pressing open a bypass valve to flush then closing it to produce pure whilst keeping the original setting sounds great - which is the best one?  From Vyair?
I did it myself with parts from a local plumbing shop, although Phil at vyair (where I bought the membrane from) gave me great advice, he sells his systems with a bypass already fitted.
If you can see the attached picture, the needle valve is to the right and the bypass valve to the left is open in the flush position. I flush for 5 mins before each fill and can see the ppm drop on the inline tds meter, I then close the bypass and start making pure.  ;)

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 12:24:44 pm »
Ignore the ott copper plumbing and compression joins, you could go with push fits or jubilee clips etc., I had to go to those extremes because I am in a first floor flat and the plumbed in ro has to be 100% leak proof and fail safe for my neighbours peace of mind !

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 12:35:15 pm »
do you have a washing machine tap in your kitchen off the mains supply ? buy a gauge and test it on that ? is it possible to change your outside tap to a threaded one ? I would not trust those mixer tap connectors , could pop off under pressure  :-\

The nozzle part of the outside tap does unscrew, and this http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Hozelock-Type-Brass-Hose-Reel-Fitting---Swivel-Elbow--REEL_BRASS_SWIVEL.html screwed onto it perfectly and it's a simple click fit for the garden hose connector, one less adaptor for the water to go through.

Having put the hose reel together, put 100m of 6mm microbore on the reel and connected it to the pole hose, I now see I don't have any hose or connectors to connect the reel/microbore to the van port!  Bah!