Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Chris - CBWC

DI vessel won't fill
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:39:23 am »
Finally finally got my van and wfp system home last night, keen to get going today but I can't get water from the ro to the vessel.  I hope the mains water pressure is ok, it seems to be, I let it run on 100% waste for a while, then started turning the valve slowly a bit at a time so water would push back into the ro and then into the vessel but nothing.  Was told that when the valve is in the right place, you should hear a rumbling like the kettle's boiling, but I don't get that at all, it's more like hissing, like air escaping from the valve itself.  The fully off is at 90 degrees to fully on, so should it be at around 40-45 degrees open to get the 60/40 waste ratio?

The waste flow does decrease but the vessel does not fill, confirmed by unclicking the connector from the ro to the vessel and I don't get wet!  There is a huge blast of air though so something is not right.

I've also spotted, at the end of the ro unit (the end almost against the side of the van unfortunately), there's a slight leak from the (maybe plastic) square stopper there - the side where only one hose goes in.  How can I stop this leak?  I can barely get to it and it doesn't look a screw, put some sealant round it?  Is this what's stopping the system from working properly?

Any help please gents?  I want to work!

[EDIT]
I unscrewed the di vessel lid and pulled it out a bit to have a look, there does appear to be water droplets on the cylinder that i took out, and so maybe the resin beads are also wet, hard to tell - does it take a long time for the di vessel to fill up the very first time?  If so, how long should I wait?  Spent over an hour watching waste water shoot down the drain, don't really want to do that again if I'm still getting nowhere.

Chris - CBWC

Re: DI vessel won't fill
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 01:31:06 pm »

OK here is my set up and the offending leak.  I disconnected the di vessel from the ro (put the connector into a bucket to watch the flow) and turned on the garden tap to try and fill the bucket.  I started with ro valve fully open and gradually closed it.  I got a slow drip out of the di connector into the bucket.  I more I closed the valve, the greater the drip from the other end of the ro unit, pictured above.  Dripping into the pink tray - this is hopefully not a permanent fixture!

I'm assuming this is my problem and logically, the ro unit needs to be fully sealed for the pressure to force the water into the di vessel and on towards the tank.  I believe the leak is coming from the orange square (stopper?) but I'm at a loss as to how to tighten or seal it.  Presumably a swan neck would crush or wreck it.  It's the right hand side of the ro i.e almost right up against the van wall so very difficult to get tools in there.  The photos are the best I could do with the lack of room.

Advice very welcome as it appears the system is useless at the moment  :(

Jonny 87

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 01:38:32 pm »
What make is the RO and who fitted it? They might beat know where a leak is coming from.

Sometimes it's actually the membrane needed to be pushed into place more firmly.

Can you take the RO housing out to see?
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 01:48:06 pm »
I don't know the make of it, a small company in West Brom fitted it and I haven't been able to get in touch with them yet.  I have been told how to take the housing off, which would be necessary should the weather get really cold, whether I actually can is another matter but I guess it's worth a shot as I'm not doing anything else!

Don Kee

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 03:03:30 pm »
When they fitted it did they check to see if it worked (just seeing if it was working and now not or it hasnt worked from the offset...?)

Do you know what your mains pressure is?
Is it a hf4 or hf5?
I take it you're not using a booster pump?
When you disconnect the D.I and just let the R.O produce onto the floor/drain does it work then?

Ideally you want to contact the people that fit it for you but it may be your pressure isnt enough....
Why don't you have a quick google before making stupid comments?

Pete Thompson

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 03:25:12 pm »
weird membrane setup, never seen one like that before.

I don't like the way none if it seems to come apart easily like the 4040.

A small leak (ie dripping rather than piddling out) should make practically no difference to the water production.

You should disconnect the INLET of the DI vessel and let your RO water flow onto the ground, to make sure it is producing.  Start with the waste-water valve fully open (so all the feed water just goes out to waste) then close it gradually, and see if any RO water comes out.  I would make it so the ratio is about 50:50 waste water to pure water.

If there is water coming out, then your problem is with the DI vessel.  DI vessels (even the monster size one you have there) don't need hardly any pressure to operate, so if you know that RO water is being produced, but stops when you connect the DI, then there's something wrong with the DI.

One a side note, it's odd that the RO water goes straight into the DI vessel.  Not how I would have done it.  I would have had RO water go into the tank, then have the water go through DI on the way out to the pole.  That way even if the water in the tank has been standing a while and the TDS has crept up, the water still gets a final DI treatment just before it goes to the pole, making sure its always 0 TDS when you're using it.  This also has the advantage that you can even fill up the tank with normal tap water in an emergency, and just use DI.  But still, it should work ok the way you have it.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 03:59:39 pm »
That membrane housing looks to me as though it's 'either end in' - the end caps are interchangeable so both have two threaded holes.  At the inlet end the centre (product) outlet is not used, so the orange thingy is a threaded bung to close the hole.  Take it out and put some ptfe on the threads, then screw it back in.

Next as Pete says you need to check that it is actually producing pure.  Unclick the inlet on the DI cylinder and let the pipe hang down on the road.  Keep closing the waste valve till water comes through this pipe.  As there's no resistance beyond the waste valve, water will naturally flow to this outlet rather than to the strong resistance of the membrane - it could take almost until the waste valve is closed before there is enough pressure to force water through the membrane.  If you can shut the valve off to the point where there is no waste coming but still no product even after waiting about 15 minutes then there is a problem with the membrane - refer back to supplier.

Once you get pure coming out, measure the pure/waste ratio and adjust the waste valve as necessary - (run pure into one container and waste into another bigger container - when the pure container is full take both pipes out of the containers.  Discard the pure and pour the waste from the waste container into the pure container - see how many time you can fill the pure container, this will give you the pure/waste ratio).

Once you've established there is pure being produced, re-attach the DI - it will take some time to fill but there shouldn't be any back pressure - check the pipe from the outlet side to the tank is clear, and the tank fitting itself.

HTH

Ian

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 04:38:30 pm »
I'll try and answer you all in one go!

When they fitted it did they check to see if it worked (just seeing if it was working and now not or it hasnt worked from the offset...?)

Sadly no.  It was only after they'd spent 6 hours fitting and were taking me through the whole set up and with me asking questions that they realised they had no tap, hose etc to test it.

Do you know what your mains pressure is?

No, how do I find this out?  Buy an expensive gadget? !!  I don't think it's a poor water flow by any means.  Would shortening the length of the hose from garden tap to van help?  Pressure is lost over distance I believe so maybe that would help - I just use a standard garden hose to connect garden tap to van port.

[quote auth
or=Don Kee link=topic=181642.msg1544566#msg1544566 date=1390921410]
Is it a hf4 or hf5?
I take it you're not using a booster pump?
[/quote]

I don't know what hf4 or hf5 is so presume no.  Booster pump from mains to van?  No, I thought the pressure was good enough to not need one - I can video it if necessary, might be easier to troubleshoot that way.

When you disconnect the D.I and just let the R.O produce onto the floor/drain does it work then?

Ideally you want to contact the people that fit it for you but it may be your pressure isnt enough....

In my second post I did just this.  I was hoping to get a soaking when I disconnected the DI but no.  I then slowly closed the waste tap to gauge and got a consistent drip, followed by an intermittent drip, but it was obvious that the more I closed the waste tap, the more the leak in the opposite end of the ro dripped (the end with the stopper).

I've rang them a few times without answer, and have left a message though I can usually only get hold of him towards the end of the day.  Still a bit concerned though.

I don't like the way none if it seems to come apart easily like the 4040.

A small leak (ie dripping rather than piddling out) should make practically no difference to the water production.

You should disconnect the INLET of the DI vessel and let your RO water flow onto the ground, to make sure it is producing.  Start with the waste-water valve fully open (so all the feed water just goes out to waste) then close it gradually, and see if any RO water comes out.  I would make it so the ratio is about 50:50 waste water to pure water.

If there is water coming out, then your problem is with the DI vessel.  DI vessels (even the monster size one you have there) don't need hardly any pressure to operate, so if you know that RO water is being produced, but stops when you connect the DI, then there's something wrong with the DI.

The 4040 there is attached to the frame with a couple of brackets.  I'd have to undo those first then I can use an allen key on the 3 pipes to remove the membrane - this only just occurred to me as a way I could get at the leak on the right side doh!  It's quite tight up against the ply, can't get my head in there, or tools to tighten it, or the camera to photo it!

I did disconnect the di earlier to test what pure I was getting out of the 4040 - yes it's a small leak but it increases as I close the waste tap, meaning pressure within the ro is lost, pressure that should be used to push the water to the di vessel - if I understand this correctly, my logic may be flawed though...

That membrane housing looks to me as though it's 'either end in' - the end caps are interchangeable so both have two threaded holes.  At the inlet end the centre (product) outlet is not used, so the orange thingy is a threaded bung to close the hole.  Take it out and put some ptfe on the threads, then screw it back in.

Next as Pete says you need to check that it is actually producing pure.  Unclick the inlet on the DI cylinder and let the pipe hang down on the road.  Keep closing the waste valve till water comes through this pipe.  As there's no resistance beyond the waste valve, water will naturally flow to this outlet rather than to the strong resistance of the membrane - it could take almost until the waste valve is closed before there is enough pressure to force water through the membrane.  If you can shut the valve off to the point where there is no waste coming but still no product even after waiting about 15 minutes then there is a problem with the membrane - refer back to supplier.

Once you get pure coming out, measure the pure/waste ratio and adjust the waste valve as necessary - (run pure into one container and waste into another bigger container - when the pure container is full take both pipes out of the containers.  Discard the pure and pour the waste from the waste container into the pure container - see how many time you can fill the pure container, this will give you the pure/waste ratio).

Once you've established there is pure being produced, re-attach the DI - it will take some time to fill but there shouldn't be any back pressure - check the pipe from the outlet side to the tank is clear, and the tank fitting itself.

They were using plenty of PTFE during the install, I'd be surprised if they forgot it on the orange stopper but I guess it happens and would be a simpler explanation for the leak.  I didn't realise the 4040 was interchangeable - someone else has suggested it has been installed incorrectly/the wrong way round and that I should remove the 4040 and membrane and start again, but it does have two holes at either end and not knowing about the membrane, I don't know if it's possible to get it the wrong way round.

You put "there's no resistance beyond the waste valve, water will naturally flow to this outlet rather than to the strong resistance of the membrane" but in my test earlier today (I think I put this above, sorry for repeating!), closing the waste tap increases the pressure in the 4040 and instead of pushing more water to the di vessel, the leak at the inlet end of the 4040 increased somewhat, so if I block this, perhaps all the pressure would force the water to the di, rather than wasting some on the leak.

I disagreeumption is probably incorrect in that I thought, to get a 60/40 waste ratio, I would only need to close the waste tap maybe half of the way, but I see now it's more about balancing the water pressure itself than getting a certain degree of open/closed - maybe I didn't give it a proper chance earlier but the leak put me right off!  It may be that I need it more closed than not, or even nearly closed.  I shall get buckets ready for the test tomorrow.

One final thing - I have spotted that some of the bends in the hoses/pipes are a little tight, very slightly kinked - a problem?  They're also cable tied in places and seemingly a little too tightly as they seem a bit pinched.  Would both these cause problems or is the hose rigid/big enough that it won't matter?

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 06:13:06 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3q0XTy1x6Q

Took a video before it got dark, don't know how to embed it in the post though.  The drop in pressure between the garden tap and the end of the hose is very noticeable.  I'll cut it right down tomorrow.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 11:24:04 pm »
Try this: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p75711?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googleshopping&mkwid=jx8M2Fhy&pcrid=26799299063&gclid=CJDa1qSBorwCFUETwwodngsA_Q

It is impossible to guess the pressure of your water supply just by looking at it or putting your finger over the outlet.

dave0123

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:47:08 pm »
Your housing membrane thats the big white thing looks similar to the standard stainless steel ones which i use they both have 2 ports on either end.

You blank one end off this is obviously to seal it and then the input on the same side.. then the other end the middle hole or port will be pure.. the one nearest the edge will be waste.... HOWEVER if the fitters have put the membrane in the wrong way round that will cause probablems your having by sounds of it.. the membrane will have a brine or seal on one end! and that will be your inlet side which could have been put in the wrong way.

The people who fitted it are they wfp suppliers? or just people you know?
Dave.

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 12:13:27 pm »
Are they not interchangeable so that you can't put it in the wrong way round?

Today I tightened the stopper and the leak stopped.  I closed the waste tap gradually and started getting water into the tank, woohoo!  A trickle, but it's a start.

So the next step is to judge the waste ratio.  On disconnecting the di vessel, nothing was coming out, which leads me to think there's a stop valve in there to prevent water flow when it's not connected.  No good for this test.  So, can I still measure the waste ratio by unscrewing the lid to the tank and catching the water in a jug that's flowing through there?

On my last test it was about 4.5:1 which is, what, 82/18?  I closed the tap a bit more, which reduced the waste flow but didn't seem to increase the trickle into the tank!

I can keep testing but if measuring the water trickling into the tank is not as effective a way of measuring the waste ratio as disconnecting the di vessel then this is a fruitless experiment!

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 01:02:32 pm »
Thanks Gordon, yes the di does have an in arrow (->) and it is correctly attached.

It doesn't have an inline TDS but I do have a handheld one.  It gets it down from 324 to 3-4 (I filled a small jug from the water going into the tank) so I opened the waste tap slightly hoping this would lower the PPM further.  I agree the metal needle would be more accurate - trying to move the plastic you have to exert a certain amount of pressure and then it jumps, so small increments are very tricky.

The ro was flushed for around 30 minutes yesterday when I had my first attempt (which took several hours!) and was flushed again for maybe 10 minutes today just in case I needed to flush it.

Water is going into the tank, just not very quickly, though I don't think anyone's gushes in?  Someone has suggested fitting a booster to increase the pressure and speed things but I wouldn't know where to get one from, what to get, where to fit it, or how!  Happy to learn though as it's all part of the process.

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 01:53:33 pm »
OK I'm concerned that, for the water to be 3-4ppm into the tank, that it's way too high going into the di vessel (the di vessel gets it down to 3-4ppm) and that the resin will be gone very very quickly.

Measuring the waste output, it's at around 250 (from my tap it's 324) - so it goes from the tap, through the two pre-filters, straight through the ro and out to waste: 324 down to 250.

I have just opened the waste tap all the way and disconnected the di. I could not remove the orange connector at all, and yes I unscrewed the extra bit first. I couldn't pull it off, it wouldn't budge even a little bit - worrying as everything wears and breaks in time, I guess I'll have to crack it with pliers then fit my own when it does go.

Fortunately I have a separate connector that I could fit to the orange connector to allow the water flow, was a bit dirty though so cleaned it but a bit of gunge still came out, unless that was from the system?  I suppose it might have affected the TDS reading but I did several readings to check, and once the water was clear again, no bits floating.  Anyway on measuring the waste it was on around 250ppm, and that's after going through the two pre-filters, straight through the ro and down the drain.

On measuring the disconnected di pipe, i.e. what would go into the di if it WAS connected, it started on around 17-18 then jumped to 22-23.

So...in order to get this down further, do I keep flushing the ro i.e. 100% open and keep measuring the waste output ppm? I know I'm in a very hard water area.  I only initially flushed the ro for around 30 minutes but should it have been flushed for hours and hours in order to get the chemicals out?

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCliTRlcHIA is, obviously, the pure water into my tank - is this way too slow and therefore I need a booster pump?  I know some people fill their tanks up overnight so presumably they have a slow flow too, I just want to gauge where my flow is on the scale of slow to fast.

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 03:35:38 pm »
OK, my initial observations:

Having tested the tap water, I then tested the water out of the ro and into the di - it started at 140, then steadily dropped down to 12 where it remained constant.  I'm thinking there was still contaminants from the tap water on the TDS meter - there is a plastic guard around the metal prongs so I can't dry them before getting another measurement from a different water source so there is a measure of inaccuracy and it's necessary to wait for the contaminants to clear and for the ppm level to stabilise before accepting the reading.

So, 12ppm going into the di, 000ppm into the tank and I was getting 1 litre of pure into the di every 90 seconds compared to around 5 litres of waste (so 83/17 waste).  I closed the waste a tap a bit more, it stayed at 12ppm and it stayed at 000pm into the tank.

With it all connected up again and water flowing into the tank, I guess my next step is to close the waste tap a bit more, measure how long it takes to get a litre of water into the tank, and then measure how much waste I get from the same time.

I've asked this before I think, but will the rate into the di be the same as the rate into the tank?  Or thereabouts?  Rather than keep disconnecting the di to measure the flow rate, it's a lot easier for me to measure the flow rate into the tank.  I'm sure I'm not the only one whose system goes ro -> di -> tank rather than ro -> tank -> di

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 03:48:26 pm »
sorry I deleted my post maybe whilst you were replying, because I thought I was asking a silly question regards to the di hoses being connected the right way round !  :D

Anyway, by the looks of your last video it is filling the tank pretty much the same rate my 4040 ro does, no real worries there. It takes me 3 hours or so to make approx 600 liters ( I do not use a booster pump )

My tap tds is lower than yours, about 260, my ro before di produces a tds of approx 15 (was 12 in summer when water temp was warmer)
I am sure I have read somewhere before that an average rejection rate of dissolved solids from an ro should be somewhere between 90 - 95 % , going on your figures it sounds like its working as it should.
You really need to know what the pressure is like from your mains supply if you wish to speed up the production further and lower the tds then a booster pump may be necessary.

Back to the video, was that with the di connected ? if not is it slower when it is ?

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 03:51:43 pm »
I've asked this before I think, but will the rate into the di be the same as the rate into the tank?  Or thereabouts?  Rather than keep disconnecting the di to measure the flow rate, it's a lot easier for me to measure the flow rate into the tank.  I'm sure I'm not the only one whose system goes ro -> di -> tank rather than ro -> tank -> di
Yes it should, the di vessel should not offer any resistance to the flow of water.

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 04:01:38 pm »
Yes the di is connected in the video.

By my calculations, filling a 500L tank at 1 litre every 90 seconds will take 12.5 hours to fill :(  Please tell me my maths is wrong!!  500L x 90 seconds per litre is a total of 45000 seconds = 750 minutes = 12.5 hours

I closed the waste tap a little more, ppm into tank remained at 0, flow rate into tank remained at 1 litre every 90 seconds (I'll be measuring flow rate into tank from now on, can't be doing with connecting and disconnecting the di, especially with the water still flowing, it's wet enough with all the rain without covering myself in pure as well!) but the waste is down to 3 litres every 90 seconds.  I find this very odd as surely the flow into the tank should've increased however the first "1 litre in 90 seconds" measurement was from the ro to the di, the second "1 litre in 90 seconds" was water into the tank from the di so maybe the two aren't comparable.

My Gardiner TDS meter seems erratic though I suspect quickly measuring different water supplies would mean contaminants are still on the measuring prongs - I can't dry it or wipe it as there's a plastic guard in the way.

I'm in Surrey if anyone can come over and help!

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 04:34:42 pm »
Try this: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p75711?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googleshopping&mkwid=jx8M2Fhy&pcrid=26799299063&gclid=CJDa1qSBorwCFUETwwodngsA_Q

It is impossible to guess the pressure of your water supply just by looking at it or putting your finger over the outlet.

Interesting that the Screwfix near to me does that exact same one, but for £15 and they put "for washing machine taps only" !  This gauge is also on Amazon (no mention of washing machines!) however I see it has a 3/4" threaded connector, my outdoor tap is 1/2" and not threaded.  I don't know of any connectors/adapters that would allow it to connect to my tap.  In order to attach my garden hose I had to get one of those adjustable mixer tap connectors, tighten it manually then click the Hozelock hose attachment to it.  Palaver.

dave0123

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 05:30:13 pm »
Are they not interchangeable so that you can't put it in the wrong way round?

Its obviously in the right way because you have it working. But for future reference the membrane that goes in your white housing one side is a water inlet feed and it has a seal on that end (large o ring) so what ever end that goes in last or first that will be your water inlet from the tap so technically it goes in one way only.

Yes the di is connected in the video.

By my calculations, filling a 500L tank at 1 litre every 90 seconds will take 12.5 hours to fill Sad  Please tell me my maths is wrong!!  500L x 90 seconds per litre is a total of 45000 seconds = 750 minutes = 12.5 hours

I closed the waste tap a little more, ppm into tank remained at 0, flow rate into tank remained at 1 litre every 90 seconds (I'll be measuring flow rate into tank from now on, can't be doing with connecting and disconnecting the di, especially with the water still flowing, it's wet enough with all the rain without covering myself in pure as well!) but the waste is down to 3 litres every 90 seconds.  I find this very odd as surely the flow into the tank should've increased however the first "1 litre in 90 seconds" measurement was from the ro to the di, the second "1 litre in 90 seconds" was water into the tank from the di so maybe the two aren't comparable.

My Gardiner TDS meter seems erratic though I suspect quickly measuring different water supplies would mean contaminants are still on the measuring prongs - I can't dry it or wipe it as there's a plastic guard in the way.

I'm in Surrey if anyone can come over and help!

If you close the waste tap a little more than measure how many liters you are getting? but never fully close it!! if it still doesn't produce more pure water or as fast as you'd like you will need to buy a booster pump such as the one below a lot of people use these including me and there a great pump.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cbm240e-1in-multi-stage-230v-booster-pum
Dave.