This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Andrew1980

Being threatened.
« on: January 26, 2014, 08:05:48 pm »
Hello everyone, first post here. A little about myself, been window cleaning for about 6 months working for someone, then that has gone sour after being messed about for my wages so I decided to have a go for myself. I have 20 customers so far but have been threatened to pack in, I am not easily intimidated just don't want the aggro. Anyone come across this kind of thing before? Cheers, Andrew.

Jonny 87

Re: Being threatened.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:10:49 pm »
More details needed?

Who told you to pack in?

Do you have a window cleaning license for your area? Insurance etc.

If your licensed and all legitimate then tell the threatened where to go.

Explain your not undercutting anyone or trying to steal work.

If all else fails report it to the police.

My experience is that the ones that say "stay off my patch" are all dolers just making a quick quid to top up their brew money. So if you threaten to involve the police they soon back off.

I've been threatened to have my van burnt out before, and I stood my ground. I worked there for years with no more aggro. Then sold the work on to a bigger company than me, who are now taking over much more work from the brew brigade. Great stuff. Lol.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Don Kee

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:11:40 pm »
Come near my work and i'll bang you out..... ;D

Just joking mate. Yeah ive been told to pi55 off as it was someone elses 'patch' before, but not threatened....wasn't really that bothered either to be honest, dont think he liked it when i laughed  ;D
Screw em and crack on mate, there are no patches...
Read this forum, ask advice, very helpful place.
You'll get some good days and you'll get some crap days but keep plugging away and you'll get there. What you put in is what you get out!
Why don't you have a quick google before making stupid comments?

Stephen.C

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 08:12:28 pm »
ignore and carry on.
They only reason this happens is because they feel vulnerable.
Collect evidence if you feel threatened and then report to police. Good luck with your business.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

www.pureh2owindowcleaning.com

windiewasher

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 08:27:54 pm »
I have a great big axe in my van.anyone threatens me I can guarantee that will come out.
Don't let anybody put you off doing your job.
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 08:32:55 pm »
I have a great big axe in my van.anyone threatens me I can guarantee that will come out.

Have you been to prison before?

ben M

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 08:39:47 pm »

;D yes because he wanted to sell chineses poles  ;) ;D ;D ;D

bobplum

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 08:53:32 pm »
Hello everyone, first post here. A little about myself, been window cleaning for about 6 months working for someone, then that has gone sour after being messed about for my wages so I decided to have a go for myself. I have 20 customers so far but have been threatened to pack in, I am not easily intimidated just don't want the aggro. Anyone come across this kind of thing before? Cheers, Andrew.

buy a 3d printer and go for a magnum 45 ;D

you get this now and then one guy threatened Richard (isparkle) and was going to shoot him Richard reported it to the police and they went round and spoke to him and he admitted it :-\ he was advised and cautioned by the police
most of the time just say "ok, have a nice day" and carry on working 

G Griffin

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 09:07:17 pm »

No, he's a lumberjack..............and he's ok.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Pete Thompson

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 12:53:33 am »
Don't ever let thugs intimidate you.  If someone threatens you, tell them you will are going straight to the police, and then do exactly that.

Make sure they know that if they give you even one iota of hassle they will get a poo storm of police hassle themselves.

They'll soon back away.

(Unless they are organised criminal gangs, in which case just go work somewhere else.  Being in the right isn't much use if you're in a wheelchair)

Johnny B

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 10:46:07 am »
I've never had a problem with this really, as I believe that being reasonable usually wins the day (not always I am sure, but mostly).

About a year and a half ago, a young traveller chappie came up to me and said he was the local window cleaner.

I cheerily said to him 'That's fine. I am not about to take your customers, but I have mine and I will be continuing to do them'.

He said 'OK. You can carry on', shook my hand and walked off.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 12:41:40 pm »
I was threatened last year by a local WC.

I went to the police and they dealt with it in a manner i am happy with.  they got him in the station and he had to apologise to me in writing.  if anything else happens theyll charge him

I would recommend you do the same.

they will want to know what the threat was, was it specific e.g.  "I'll break you legs.."  or un specific e.g. "you'll regret it!"

if its specific that's illegal, if its unspecific they'll say they cant do anything, but you can ask them to record it, and what i always ask them to do is call the person and tell them you have contacted the police and complained about them.

i would not make any effort on your own to talk to the person.  leave it entirely to the police
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 03:15:40 pm »
Don't ever let thugs intimidate you.  If someone threatens you, tell them you will are going straight to the police, and then do exactly that.

Make sure they know that if they give you even one iota of hassle they will get a poo storm of police hassle themselves.

They'll soon back away.

(Unless they are organised criminal gangs, in which case just go work somewhere else.  Being in the right isn't much use if you're in a wheelchair)

Yep, the mafia and the triads have been fighting over window cleaning rounds for ages.

C o z y

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 03:18:18 pm »

They'll soon back away.

Yep, the mafia and the triads have been fighting over window cleaning rounds for ages.

Yeah, it's just as lucrative as drugs and prostitution.  ;D ;D
No still don't understand, I must be thick

8weekly

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 04:55:00 pm »

They'll soon back away.

Yeah, it's just as lucrative as drugs and prostitution.  ;D ;D
... Just a lot less fun.

s.w.c

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 09:15:49 pm »

I went to the police and they dealt with it in a manner i am happy with.  they got him in the station and he had to apologise to me in writing.  if anything else happens theyll charge him

they will want to know what the threat was, was it specific e.g.  "I'll break you legs.."  or un specific e.g. "you'll regret it!"

if its specific that's illegal, if its unspecific they'll say they cant do anything, but you can ask them to record it, and what i always ask them to do is call the person and tell them you have contacted the police and complained about them.

i would not make any effort on your own to talk to the person.  leave it entirely to the police

that fine advice but it would depend on where you are in the counrty and could be lack of police there being cut back, we lost our three local station and everything is dealt with 12 miles away, all you are likely to get is a community officer,

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 11:29:00 am »

that fine advice but it would depend on where you are in the counrty and could be lack of police there being cut back, we lost our three local station and everything is dealt with 12 miles away, all you are likely to get is a community officer,

wouldnt really matter to me weho i got whether full police or community officer working for the police.  so long as they handled it the right way.  if it's recorded on their system that's the main point really
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Pete Thompson

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 04:38:08 pm »
Make a citizens arrest!

s.w.c

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:48 pm »
Well I wouldnt have much faith in the system, to me police aint got time or resource's to deal with it around here, there too busy dealing with the idiot crime gangs,

I know more than they do and know the law both sides, I retierd of the doors 6 years ago after a 15 year stint, myself I would deal with it in my own manner, but then we all our different, you have to deal with it in a way thats right for you,

im surprised there is still the odd numpty out there trying to push his luck