This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Carl2009

Coastal window cleaning
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:04:35 pm »
I really reel for those lads who have a majority of work close to the seafront. Luckily I've only 2 such properties, both monthly and £20 each and retired people. I phoned one last night as usual (gate access) and he just didn't want them doing because of the forecasted storm. Got to his neighbour this morning and just as I get the reel out he too runs out and asks me to leave it.

It would be easy to bin them writing them off as messers but to be honest I can see their point - tomorrow they would be filthy again, and anyway I don't want to lose £400 a year.

How do you lads who work the seafront deal with this type of situation?

windiewasher

Re: Coastal window cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 03:37:58 pm »
Never had anyone moan or ask me not to clean them. I just crack on then get paid .Jobs a goodun.
infact done 18 houses down the seafront this morning.
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

robertphil

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 05:58:24 am »
seafront folk know that you must be regular at their windows or they will be so bad they cannot see out .  i live right on the seafront road myself and clean my own every 2 weeks .
  anybody who tries the "not this time" is a total jerk, okay have a go at being  blind you old tit cos you wont see out from now on

bobplum

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 09:36:56 am »
seafront folk know that you must be regular at their windows or they will be so bad they cannot see out .  i live right on the seafront road myself and clean my own every 2 weeks .
  anybody who tries the "not this time" is a total jerk, okay have a go at being  blind you old tit cos you wont see out from now on

i felt anger in that statement :o

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 10:29:52 am »
Although I clean several seafront properties, I only have one that the weather is an issue for, I used to clean 2 weekly for them, they now text me with a few days notice when they want them done at an agreed higher price that we are both happy with, as for the others I just check the forecast before I go clean them and try to use a bit of common sense - If its blowing a gale or chucking it down with rain that day or due to the next I will leave them until that weather has passed.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:43:41 am »
We're cleaning a hospital near to blackpool seafront tomorrow and tuesday, we clean the externals on day one and the internals on day 2. By the time we're on the internals the externals are becoming dirty again.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Majestic

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:05:34 am »
We're cleaning a hospital near to blackpool seafront tomorrow and tuesday, we clean the externals on day one and the internals on day 2. By the time we're on the internals the externals are becoming dirty again.
Is it in South Shore
I started out with nothing and Ive still got most of it left.

Majestic Window Cleaning
www.majesticwindowcleaning.co.uk

Dean Taberner

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 11:38:40 am »
I'm not too familar with Blackpool mate unless I'm there on the ale, but I think its near the south shore. Its a medical centre on whitegate drive. Do you know it?

Majestic

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 01:44:02 pm »
yes, its a big job. Is it for a Preston Building firm ,do you do more of the NHS properties for them

Majestic Window Cleaning

Dean Taberner

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 03:02:49 pm »
Do you do anything for them mate?

Majestic

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 05:04:57 pm »
yes 3 schools

Majestic Window Cleaning

david mark

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 09:28:19 am »
lost over £200 in Dec to sea front properties (not this time) but don't blame them the wind and rain did not stop for 2 weeks back end of Dec.

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 10:48:28 am »
carl seriously i would have dumped them if they didnt want them cleaning.

your still removing a months dirt off their windows.if it wasnt blowing a gale on the day your cleaning them then id insist on cracking on whether theres a storm brewing the day after.

to me you simply cant sustain your business with customers like that.

i even clean in storms half the time! ;D ;D

in the past ive had customers say "i dont want them cleaning as its forecast heavy rain later".they get dumped straight away.i never go back.
price higher/work harder!

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 04:55:34 pm »

your still removing a months dirt off their windows.if it wasnt blowing a gale on the day your cleaning them then id insist on cracking on whether theres a storm brewing the day after.

in the past ive had customers say "i dont want them cleaning as its forecast heavy rain later".they get dumped straight away.i never go back.
Dazmond, do you clean any seafront properties ?
Say you lived in one, would you be happy to pay £20 - £30 per month to a window cleaner who turned up regardless of weather conditions or an approaching storm ?

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 05:21:57 pm »
no i dont work near water unless you call the manchester ship canal "along the seafront"!! ;D ;D ;D

i wouldnt have a window cleaner as i do them myself.money for old rope!! ;D ;D ;D

so what do you suggest?have a few days off every time theres a storm forecast?your business will soon start going down the drain going off some of the awful weather we ve had at times.

ive known it to rain nearly every day for weeks on end in summer too.what do you suggest?have 3 weeks off? ::)roll ;D
price higher/work harder!

Ian101

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 05:24:38 pm »

Say you lived in one, would you be happy to pay £20 - £30 per month to a window cleaner who turned up regardless of weather conditions or an approaching storm ?

surely it would make sense to remove em from regular work list and charge higher for as and when service and find some more regular non salty seafront customers ?

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 06:23:20 pm »
no i dont work near water unless you call the manchester ship canal "along the seafront"!! ;D ;D ;D

i wouldnt have a window cleaner as i do them myself.money for old rope!! ;D ;D ;D

so what do you suggest?have a few days off every time theres a storm forecast?your business will soon start going down the drain going off some of the awful weather we ve had at times.

ive known it to rain nearly every day for weeks on end in summer too.what do you suggest?have 3 weeks off? ::)roll ;D
No Dazmond I am not suggesting that at all, but you are confusing rain with high winds on a seafront.
If you lived and worked in a seaside town you may be able to empathize a little more with what would otherwise be very good paying and loyal customers.
Of course you could just dump them, cull your round until you have no customers with seafront views, but that maybe a little silly in a seaside town.
All I am suggesting is using a little common sense as to when you clean a coastal property that is more prone to a months worth of heavily salted windows after one nights stormy weather . ( your business would soon go down the drain with countless cancellations from customers who were very unhappy about wasting their money )
On those sort of days I schedule to clean houses further inland or those that do not face directly on to the coast. Its about keeping your round flexible when it needs to be thats all.
Obviously my question as to whether you would be happy to pay a window cleaner £20 -£30 to clean your seafront homes windows the day before a storm was a purely hypothetical one. which incidentally you did not really answer  :D ;)

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 06:25:50 pm »

surely it would make sense to remove em from regular work list and charge higher for as and when service and find some more regular non salty seafront customers ?
Yes Ian agree and I do just that for several customers who now call me but at a higher rate ( my previous post , up the page )

windiewasher

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 06:31:22 pm »
In my seaside town in Lincolnshire the windows are no worse than inland.then again I live along the driest coast in the country. I must be very lucky.
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

rosskesava

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 06:46:51 pm »

No Dazmond I am not suggesting that at all, but you are confusing rain with high winds on a seafront.
If you lived and worked in a seaside town you may be able to empathize a little more with what would otherwise be very good paying and loyal customers.
Of course you could just dump them, cull your round until you have no customers with seafront views, but that maybe a little silly in a seaside town.
All I am suggesting is using a little common sense as to when you clean a coastal property that is more prone to a months worth of heavily salted windows after one nights stormy weather . ( your business would soon go down the drain with countless cancellations from customers who were very unhappy about wasting their money )
On those sort of days I schedule to clean houses further inland or those that do not face directly on to the coast. Its about keeping your round flexible when it needs to be thats all.
Obviously my question as to whether you would be happy to pay a window cleaner £20 -£30 to clean your seafront homes windows the day before a storm was a purely hypothetical one. which incidentally you did not really answer  :D ;)

+1

I couldn't agree more.

Also, the problem isn't rain, it's salt.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.