This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ashbash

changing to water fed pole. help
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:20:57 pm »
hi guys. I am thinking about  changing from trad to wfp. just after any advice you could give me on how to make the transition smooth for me and the customer. also is a trolley system or  tank the way forward. thanks ash

Jonny 87

Re: changing to water fed pole. help
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 08:27:52 pm »
Buy a 8 foot water fed pole,

Then that way you only have to climb up your ladder half way, so that will half your risk of falling.

Jobs a good un.

You dont get that kind of advice every day!
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

ashbash

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 08:35:09 pm »
zzzzzzzzz :-*

PoleKing

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 08:37:26 pm »
Your best bet is to find someone near you who is WFP and give them a day or so free labour in return for experience.
You may have to drive a few miles so you're not stepping on anyone's toes but the real world experience will be worth a thousand replies on here...
Perhaps post your location, and a request or offer of free labour...
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

wfp master

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 09:17:09 pm »
First thing TDS.??????

windiewasher

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:37:52 pm »
First thing TDS.??????
+1
also do you own a van?
how many custys do you have?
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

Griffus

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 11:57:33 pm »
Speak to your existing customers and see if they'd stick with you. There's your starting point.

Jonny 87

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 12:25:32 am »
Speak to your existing customers and see if they'd stick with you. There's your starting point.

I disagree with that one lol.

Don't discuss it. You can't put a price on safety. That's your new method, it does a great job(provided you do a good thorough job) and windows stay cleaner for longer.

Once they near that they will be fine. Well, most of them. :)
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 01:16:29 am »
Just say you had a very near miss and nearly fell off your ladder and it scared the living daylights out of you and your going to be using wfp.

Start by doing just the tops wfp and then after a few months tell your customers that you reckon wfp does a better job than trad and start doing the bottoms wfp.

As for trolley versus tank, go for either then after a while, make the decision again based on your experience.

Just buy what you can afford in terms of wfp and take it from there.

Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

mufcglen

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 09:32:03 am »
agree with all the comments above although im not yet properly up and running im too in the transition period.
firstly i did tds to see what i could use either ro or di, basically cheap ro setup takes time to fill a tank and really you'd have to go this route if your tds readings are higher than 80-90 so i been told or you will eat resin!
di is straight forward,basically a bottle filled with resin and some run two as its supposed to extend the life of the resin in the second!
once you got all this sorted, look at whether you need a van system or backpack/trolley system and which will work best for you?, then look at poles, i bought a second hand brodex and it was a bit  heavy for me and a bit big so went and spent £135 on a gardiners clx22 complete pole,brush neck and pole hose, everything needed to get going that end really and perfect height for what i'll be doing and im well chuffed with it.
next you need to practice and see how the windows turn out or find a windie who's nice enough to help you out and take you out and show you the ways of the force, im going out with a local guy when i get a mo and cant wait!
read up as much as you can pal, im not going out with the pole untill im 100% happy with the finish.
hope my advice helps, sure theyre more from more experienced guys!!!

tonycarr

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 11:17:15 am »

Don't discuss it. You can't put a price on safety. That's your new method, it does a great job(provided you do a good thorough job) and windows stay cleaner for longer.

[/quote]

hi ashbash... agree with johnny im in my 3rd month using the pole after 20yrs of trad,....just tell your customers your making the changeover to WFP, ...a better system..., i spoke to all my customers and mentioned that new H & S regulations are trying to cut down on the amount of time your on ladders, (which is true) i also mentioned it would be better for my own H & S, after 20yrs of trad me ole knees are feeling it, and also mentioned the benefits of not using ladders for them, being able to do inaccessible windows no holes in lawn etc.  i found 99% of my customers understood and were happy to give it a try. some windies draft a letter explaining the WFP system and give it to there customers which is a good idea (providing they can be bother to read it) but i didnt bother, i spoke to each one in person and explained the system and how it works telling them how good it is, which it is.

i personally didn`t mention that it can take a couple of cleans to bring windows up to scratch.....im of the opinion that if the customer is paying for there windows to be cleaned...(then they want them cleaned, i know i would)...but thats just me, just mention that if they are unhappy with the clean you can re-do for free

my first time round with the pole i took quite a lot of time, (longer than i would of traditionally) doing the frames especially the tops giving the black sills under the top frames a good scrub as well as obviously the glass and plenty of rinsing, AGAIN PLENTY OF RINSING i probably washed each window twice, some three times the last time just brushing upto an inch or 2 below the top frame, my workload permitted me to spend a lot of time doing first clean doing only 3 days a week, i appreciate that many windies wouldn't be able to spend as much time perhaps due to a larger workload

i dont claim to be an expert this being only my 3rd month with the pole, but how iv done it has worked for me, and most importantly my customers, iv received excellent feedback, even had a couple of phone calls tell me how good the system is     

my last time doing trad i tried to clean as much of the tops of the frames as possible

as far as trolley or tank goes, i think you have to look at your own round and to see how accessible it is, i initially purchased both a trolley and a  tank, but have since sold the trolley and purchased a backpack for those awkward bits.

as far as purifying your own water, have you considered purchasing it for now? it`ll save you having to spend more money on setup for now. i purchase my pure water locally from either my brother in law, or a local WFP supplier £8 for 400litres, you can put a message on here for any local cleaners, many of which will be happy to supply you.

hope this helps
tony       

T & J Window Cleaning services

DG Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 06:13:56 pm »
Agree with the above comments.
You will perhaps lose a handful of customers.
I did.
But if anyone asked I took the time to explain the changeover and it was very successful.
The vast majority didn't ask.
I picked up more better priced work than I lost through using the pole just through walkups. ;D

Jonny 87

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 08:20:36 pm »
Agree with the above comments.
You will perhaps lose a handful of customers.
I did.
But if anyone asked I took the time to explain the changeover and it was very successful.
The vast majority didn't ask.
I picked up more better priced work than I lost through using the pole just through walkups. ;D

I was the same. It looks a lot more professional to a lot of people. They feel comfortable coming up to you and asking to quote.

chez

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 09:21:33 pm »
Hey good choice!
My tip, make sure that on your last clean before you go wfp take a cloth and wipe the top of the frame on the upstairs window. It will save you a lot of dirty runs and complaints after the first clean. That's what I did and it worked a treat.
Cheers and I hope it goes well.

tom20001

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 09:25:43 am »

I disagree with that one lol.

+1

tom20001

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 09:32:02 am »
i switched over 3 weeks ago

uve a van mounted tank and im di only, if ur ppm less than 100 i think it makes sense to go down di route

i didnt bother just doing tops i do everything wfp! so far im not much quicker than i was trad however its safer and over time with more confidence il speed up dramatically

i got a gardiners slx 27 and to be honest had i anything shorter id be caught out on a few windows above extensions etc

oh yeah and remember how tired u wud be after a days work trad, imo id cut that in half after a day of wfp

its a win win and if ur doing system diy there are some great videos posted on youtube from a few of the guys here

with their advice i done a diy system over xmas and its perfect

dai

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 12:18:11 pm »
When I went WFP I blamed the EEC, stupid health and safety legislation, and my insurance company no longer covering me for working off ladders. As soon as you blame the EEC you will win most of them over no problem. I have been looking at the window cleaning stuff on ebay today, it is a minefield for the unwary. Some equipment is well over the top on price. I made my own sack truck based trolley system years ago, It's undergone a few minor tweaks and adjustments since then and has served me well and is still my main system. The one great thing about the DIY route is that you learn much quicker, you can usually put your finger on any problems that may arise in the future. My system carries 2 x 25 liter containers and has a 30 meter hose reel mounted on the trolley, Surflow pump, and digital varistream, in fact everything you would have on van mounted system. It allows me to use my Passat and ramped trailer, so only one vehicle expense. The trolley system allows access to places I couldn't get to with a van unless I had a 200 meter hose.
I can see the trolley system make a big come back as parking issues increase. With kids growing up but not leaving home, it's not unusual to have four cars in a household. It's horses for courses but a van mounted system wouldn't suit my round. Good luck Dai