This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

bobplum

Design Flaw in brass swiveling elbow?
« on: January 24, 2014, 05:10:07 pm »
For the last couple of months i have had a small but persistent leak from the area of the Hose connector and the arm of the brass swivel elbow, i put it down to wear and tear on the elbow, i tried different hozelock style connectors and it still leaked.
I then purchased some Metal QR couplings from Gardiners and i then had a virtual leak free van..........then it leaked again, so absolutely convinced it was the Elbow arm i purchased a new swivel elbow..........and it still leaked......on closer inspection i noticed there was still a few mm of movement left on the QR coupling for it to close completely, on the elbow arm.so swoped the elbow arm for a straight connection on the reel .......and it doesnt leak ;D

so the moral of the story is ....size does matter, even a few mm

dave0123

Re: Design Flaw in brass swiveling elbow?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 05:13:46 pm »
Undo the the brass elbow then and change the o ring seal inside
Dave.

bobplum

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 05:17:26 pm »
i didnt think you could un do the elbow?..will look tomorrow.in my PJ,s :D
I did change the o ring on the arm of the elbow, to no avail

but dont forget i tried a new elbow and it leaked

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 06:14:56 pm »
for the elbows not to leak i think you need an additional washer to take up any slack (causes leaks)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 06:20:26 pm »
For the last couple of months i have had a small but persistent leak from the area of the Hose connector and the arm of the brass swivel elbow, i put it down to wear and tear on the elbow, i tried different hozelock style connectors and it still leaked.
I then purchased some Metal QR couplings from Gardiners and i then had a virtual leak free van..........then it leaked again, so absolutely convinced it was the Elbow arm i purchased a new swivel elbow..........and it still leaked......on closer inspection i noticed there was still a few mm of movement left on the QR coupling for it to close completely, on the elbow arm.so swoped the elbow arm for a straight connection on the reel .......and it doesnt leak ;D

Any chance of a photo of where the leak is coming from?

If it is from between the two parts of the brass fitting then it may be that the male part needs tightening with an allen key onto the body of the fitting.

DaveG

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 06:26:44 pm »
My ones have been leaking from the same area, didn't know you could tighten them up! Result  ;D
You can't polish a turd

bobplum

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 06:31:07 pm »
My ones have been leaking from the same area, didn't know you could tighten them up! Result  ;D

me neither...cant wait for the morning ;D ;D

Don Kee

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 06:49:43 pm »

me neither...cant wait for the morning ;D ;D

Same!! ;D
Why don't you have a quick google before making stupid comments?

bobplum

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 06:52:40 pm »

Any chance of a photo of where the leak is coming from?

If it is from between the two parts of the brass fitting then it may be that the male part needs tightening with an allen key onto the body of the fitting.

will let you know 6.30 sunday morning ;) ;)

david mark

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:39 am »
I replaced the o ring and they still leek I

DaveG

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 04:56:10 pm »
Me too...   ???
You can't polish a turd

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 06:46:54 pm »
If they are not leaking from the O ring, they may be leaking from the point where the male stem screws into the other brass part. If this is the case you can tighten it up with an allen key, if this does not work then undo the male part fully, wrap the thread with PTFE tape and do back up.

DaveG

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 06:52:27 pm »
Cheers Alex will try that. The allen key is tightened right up.

Should there be an O ring between the 2 parts?
You can't polish a turd

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 07:10:03 pm »
Cheers Alex will try that. The allen key is tightened right up.

Should there be an O ring between the 2 parts?

No there is not an O ring between these two parts.

DaveG

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 07:16:14 pm »
Cheers Alex
You can't polish a turd

bobplum

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 07:54:05 pm »
found part of the problem

the thread on the spindle had a little bit of it snap of last year, then with using different elbows, straight connections, plastic, metal it has slightly crossed threaded as well, but because the thread length as now been shortened its not pushing the fiber washer full up against the internal face and this allowing the water to escape thru the arm area.

I know this because today it poped off and  i ended up going to corwoods and purchasing a new reel and the elbow on the new threaded spindle works a treat