This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Carl2009

Solar panel cleaning - low risk after all?
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:15:51 am »
Solar panel cleaning may well be low risk after all. Just ask Solar Steve: http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=181151.20

MNWC

Re: Solar panel cleaning - low risk after all?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 04:23:31 pm »
For gods sake ! Why dont you just get on with your job and let Steve get on with his.

Ive had a fair bit of work off Steve as have a few others on here and he is a genuine nice guy.

This is playground stuff !

Carl2009

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 05:24:49 pm »
For gods sake ! Why dont you just get on with your job and let Steve get on with his.

Ive had a fair bit of work off Steve as have a few others on here and he is a genuine nice guy.

I'm sure he's lovely and I'd share a pint with him - that's irrelevant to the point I'm making. I'm just saying after repeatedly telling people they are a H & S issue unless treated like an angry Rottweiler, i.e. with respect he is happy enough to clean them as per the video - without any PPE and with an aluminium pole. Many lads are confused as to the real risks of cleaning panels; some argued the risks were low - Steve was always happy enough to point out that there is a risk of electric shock.

As a result of Steve's many posts i'm sure some lads have been dissuaded from cleaning panels as a result and after seeing the vid and tracing the time of Steve's comments I'm now suspicious that his motive may have been to suppress the enthusiasm of others to enter the market, benefitting him.

I wish him well and hope his business strengthens, but I wanted to air what I feel is a fair point.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 11:17:29 pm »

Yay!  ;D An ally at last! Thanks Marcus.  :)

By the way Carl, it is no coincidence that Marcus, who has bought into ideas instead of questioning them is one of the guys who has and who is set to further benefit from the work we are trying to do. It may be wise for others to follow his lead...

charlie2

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 01:30:02 pm »
 No ste I'm with you on this.
 Onward and up
Regards chris

Philip Osborne

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 08:30:52 pm »
Steve's an honest and genuine guy, whatever he says is what he honestly understands the situation to be at the time, if that changes as his knowledge increases that is only natural.

My question to Carl is ... are you blaming Steve for you not getting off your arse and doing your own research?

Whatever Steve knows now is a result of putting in the effort to find out ... if your effort only went as far as "Ask Steve and Steve says no!" then more fool you and don't be trying to shift the blame for your own laziness onto everyone else as if everyone's in some kind of conspiracy. 

Grow up, pull your finger out, and sort yourself out!
The faster, cheaper, easier way to order quality flyers
www.weloveflyers.co.uk

Carl2009

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 09:51:51 pm »
Steve's an honest and genuine guy, whatever he says is what he honestly understands the situation to be at the time, if that changes as his knowledge increases that is only natural.

My question to Carl is ... are you blaming Steve for you not getting off your arse and doing your own research?

Whatever Steve knows now is a result of putting in the effort to find out ... if your effort only went as far as "Ask Steve and Steve says no!" then more fool you and don't be trying to shift the blame for your own laziness onto everyone else as if everyone's in some kind of conspiracy. 

Grow up, pull your finger out, and sort yourself out!

FFS. I'm almost, but not quite, beginning to regret my post. If you only knew what you were talking about Philip. Before commenting you might want to do a bit of research yourself (even Steve will back me up on this won't you mate  ;D). I did do my own research. Many emails and phone calls to manufacturers and installers, trade associations and the HSE - check my threads (I haven't the time or inclination to post the links here. If it's wet tomorrow and your stuck indoors polishing your SLX 'cos you have little else to do sit down with a packet of Hobnobs (appropriate, those biscuits for you, methinks) and have a look back at them).

I'm was just saying that early last year Steve was saying on here how dangerous it was to clean solar panels unless you took some safety precautions (that he knew all about, but wasn't giving up (which is fair enough - his research, his intellectual property)), yet around that time he's on a roof cleaning in the manner shown in the video - metal pole, no PPE. My question was, 'Why? was he saying one thing yet apparently doing another'. I've been in business long enough to know that there are reason's why you might use such a tactic - one is to persuade competition cleaning solar panel's unless 'in the know' was too dangerous and therefore too much trouble. That's fair enough, but other's also have the right to question such methods, thus my thread was born.

As I said, I'm happy that Steve is successful, I wish him more of the same. Get this, I'm still a fanboy of his business. I know a good (but suspect, in my opinion) business strategy when I see one, but that in itself doesn't stop me expressing my opinions about it. If it was worth my while (it's not given my location, market research and cost-of-entry to market) i'd be cleaning solar panels big time along with windows. And if I was doing so I'd be doing it in safety, thanks to Steve, whose "If you knew what I knew" comments in threads persuaded me to do my own research.

Which is where all this started. Philip. Now go and get that packet of Hobnumptys.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 10:38:55 pm »
Lol! Sorry to break you two up!  ;D

Thank you for defending my position Philip. It is appreciated.  :)

I'm glad you are doing your research Carl. I'm sure it will pay off long-term. From the look of his profile though, I don't think Philip has an SLX to polish, he sells stationery! ;D
I appreciate this may be bias, but I don't think my business strategy is suspect. The timing, marketing and way of operating has so far been spot on. We continue to put measures in place for many aspects of the business, jot just he continuing H&S aspects.

Now I will buzz off and let you two resume your acquaintances with each other. I do believe it is your turn Philip... ;D

Carl2009

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 08:07:39 am »
I appreciate this may be bias, but I don't think my business strategy is suspect. The timing, marketing and way of operating has so far been spot on.

Perhaps suspect was the wrong word, Steve. I don't think your business strategy is suspect at all - it's clearly successful and I hope it continues to work for you.

I meant suspect in the context of your posts on here. For a long time you've been talking of the dangers of cleaning panels. What better way of improving your market share? Yet there you are in that video with no PPE. I therefore still remain unconvinced of your protestations that you learnt a lot in between you filming that first video and some of your posts on here, but we have to agree to disagree I guess.

What on earth is Philip doing on here if he sells stationery lol? Perhaps he's got a fetish for windies? I've got a mental image of Norris Cole type. Sorry Philip, no hard feelings mate  ;D

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 06:14:16 pm »
I appreciate this may be bias, but I don't think my business strategy is suspect. The timing, marketing and way of operating has so far been spot on.

Perhaps suspect was the wrong word, Steve. I don't think your business strategy is suspect at all - it's clearly successful and I hope it continues to work for you.

I meant suspect in the context of your posts on here. For a long time you've been talking of the dangers of cleaning panels. What better way of improving your market share? Yet there you are in that video with no PPE. I therefore still remain unconvinced of your protestations that you learnt a lot in between you filming that first video and some of your posts on here, but we have to agree to disagree I guess.

What on earth is Philip doing on here if he sells stationery lol? Perhaps he's got a fetish for windies? I've got a mental image of Norris Cole type. Sorry Philip, no hard feelings mate  ;D
I guess you'll find out the changes in future videos.  It's coming into season so you won't have to wait long...

Philip probably thinks that any forum where there are repeated threads enquiring about decent flyer companies is a good place for a flyer company to hang out.  What better way of improving his market share? ;)