This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ste waddington

wind speed
« on: January 23, 2014, 06:17:22 pm »
Hi guys. Just wondering what your maximum wnd speed is for ladder work'  any more than 25mph a no go?

Thanks in advance

TomSE

Re: wind speed
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:51:45 pm »
Not sure about the actual speed mate I would just go by what you feel comfortable at. If you're nervous on a ladder and you can see it is a particularly windy day, by that I mean enough for people to be commenting how windy it is etc then don't do it, it will soon pass.

If you've told a customer you'll be there that day etc chances are they'll see its windy and think maybe you won't be able to come.

bobplum

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:04:54 pm »
i always use the next doors neighbours kitchen window as a guide..............if you extend the pole to clean the bedroom window and end up cleaning the neighbors kitchen window..........its probably to windy ;)

ste waddington

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 07:11:31 pm »
Spot on guys appreiate the help

Jonny 87

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:00:27 am »
i always use the next doors neighbours kitchen window as a guide..............if you extend the pole to clean the bedroom window and end up cleaning the neighbors kitchen window..........its probably to windy ;)

I like that. Lol
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

rah

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 05:20:54 am »
When I was trad, It wasn't so much the general wind that spooked me, but the gust's. Common sense need to be applied, if your struggling to carry the ladder then you should know the answer.

No point risking it if your not comfortable, a day lost can be massively more beneficial than a fall!
Life used to be full of up's and downs....now i hardly ever get up a ladder :) .

ste waddington

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:30:16 am »
Yeah agree with you guys thanks

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 08:53:35 am »
i used to climb ladders in gale force gusts sometimes.hanging off roofs,clinging onto window sills,ladders in the snow.

ive had ladders blow over while on a flat roof before now! ;D ;D ;D

i cant believe i used to do it!

im older and wiser now.

if i were you id ditch the ladder idea mate.go and work with another windy(ground floor only)work hard and save up and get a cheap wfp system to get you up and running.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

ste waddington

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 10:33:27 am »
Thanks again. Ive seen the backpacks you can get 22l. How many houses would that clean roughly. As i am onfoot

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 07:29:50 pm »

ste waddington

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 07:32:36 pm »
Really. Ha i think ill have to start driving lessons haha

Griffus

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 12:00:58 am »
I have an anemometer for use when in a cherry picker. Truth is I never use it.

You just know when it's too windy, common sense and experience are the two main factors.

Also be especially wary of random gusts and the layout of buildings as wind tunnels can be created and really catch you by surprise.

ste waddington

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 09:24:52 am »
Already noticed that bud. I live and work on walney island, nicknamed windy walney for that reason haha

wfp master

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 09:32:39 am »
i used to climb ladders in gale force gusts sometimes.hanging off roofs,clinging onto window sills,ladders in the snow.

im older and wiser now.

if i were you id ditch the ladder idea mate.go and work with another windy(ground floor only)work hard and save up and get a cheap wfp system to get you up and running.

regards

dazmond
what poles do you suggest.?

PoleKing

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 06:16:22 pm »

im older and wiser now.

regards

dazmond

Daz uses Harris poles duct taped together then puts Gardiners stickers on them.
Try Brodex poles-it's where most of us started I'd imagine.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

wfp master

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 07:14:24 pm »

im older and wiser now.

regards

dazmond

Daz uses Harris poles duct taped together then puts Gardiners stickers on them.
Try Brodex poles-it's where most of us started I'd imagine.
brodex good for propping up the washing line. :o