This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Rayleigh Window Cleaning Services

Window cleaner semi - retiring
« on: January 22, 2014, 03:00:46 pm »
Hi all

Have been offered a fair bit of work from a real old gentleman window cleaner.

We have waved and said hi over the years, the other day he pulled up at a place I was cleaning to explain that after 52 years on the glass he is cutting back

and doing his bungalows near where he lives.

Now this is nice work, all close to my home and well maintained, and more important, I've been taken round by him to all the customers for an introduction

to talk any access issues and explain i'm fully wfp.

This could not have gone better, not one problem with style change of cleaning or face!

He does not want anything for the work "As I said he's a real gentleman"

But I do want to give him something, and although I'm not going to mention value of the work, I can say it will keep one of my guys busy continually on 6 weekly work.

This doesn't happen too often, usually these type of guys just stop or become unwell and the work dissolves to other windies over a period of time, so I appreciate what i've been given.

Any ideas on what to offer?

Steve

Ben wood

Re: Window cleaner semi - retiring
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 03:03:21 pm »
How about book the old boy and his wife a little break some where like Cornwall or along them lines it's going to be cheaper than buying a round.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 03:05:53 pm »
How about book the old boy and his wife a little break some where like Cornwall or along them lines it's going to be cheaper than buying a round.

Thats a cracker of an idea Woods.

DaveG

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:24:47 pm »
Good idea Ben.

If he's giving you enough work to keep one of your guys busy for 6 weeks, I would give him some cash too
You can't polish a turd

tonycarr

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 03:27:30 pm »
similar thing a few years back, old boy was moving away. we also use to say hi and wave at each other. he basically sold me some work for £200 which was 1 cleans worth. today it brings in around £500 what with price increases and add ons. and less than 2 days work

it definitely can pay to be friendly with other window cleaners

tony  
T & J Window Cleaning services

Ben wood

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:38:28 pm »
If you can find out whether he would be able to go to spain for a week and book him a week there. Not much more cost wise and he would be happy in the sun. I have always made a point of being friendly to old window cleaners and hope when the retire I get first refusal.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:45:50 pm »

Make sure you cover any expenses he might incur - travelling, kenneling for his dog (if he has one) - meals out etc.  I remember a relative of mine won a 'free' holiday in a newspaper comtetition, it cost him a fortune by the time he'd paid out for all the extras.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 03:59:59 pm »
Good point Ian.

I will make sure he is looked after expenses wise.

deeege

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 05:52:56 pm »
I had a similar situation a couple of years ago, guy takes early retirement from high paid job, builds up a local round to get him out of the house a couple mornings a week, finally decides to move away. The round was quite well priced and worth about £600 4 weekly.

He had no real idea what the value was and was prepared to move away and just give the round up so he was delighted when i offered him £500 cash! Everyone's a winner!

"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

robertphil

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 05:58:15 pm »
maybe buy him a lifetimes subscription in his daily paper

Frankybadboy

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 06:54:26 pm »
give him the 1st couple of clean money

I couldn't give him nothing and wouldn't dream of it

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 07:09:09 pm »
give him the 1st couple of clean money

I couldn't give him nothing and wouldn't dream of it

That's how I feel, going to ponder over suggestions. Will keep all posted.

Steve

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 10:29:51 am »
As promised I have settled up with the gentleman and after offering him a range of ways to say thanks, he

asked if the cash was ok, and thats what he got.

Nice thing is, he is still doing a few little bungalows to top up his pension, so we will still see each other around.

Steve

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 10:36:04 am »
As promised I have settled up with the gentleman and after offering him a range of ways to say thanks, he

asked if the cash was ok, and thats what he got.

Nice thing is, he is still doing a few little bungalows to top up his pension, so we will still see each other around.

Steve

Excellent stuff, been nice to read this, well done. ;)

PoleKing

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 10:39:34 am »
Great story to hear.
All the best to both of you.
What goes around will come around.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Johnny B

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 06:31:56 pm »
Nice story.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mufcglen

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 06:54:50 pm »
fantastic story pal, get so sick of reading of people being threatened and people going on about others nicking rounds then when i read these posts i could never get bored of reading them!
good luck pal