Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gwrightson

arghhhhh
« on: January 10, 2014, 05:06:58 pm »

Priced a job today, small longe   , ok minimum charge   £45 , 00   

"  Oh no, I,m not paying that   a company from Doncaster  "   (  40miles away )   are coming for   £17 50. 

ohhh well dont need them , out of interest  i looked for them  https://www.facebook.com/BurtonandSons2013/photos_stream

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

vince viola

Re: arghhhhh
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 05:33:50 pm »
I dare you to undercut the Doncaster Co.
Then turn up with a vax!

heritagecleaning

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:54:52 pm »
So after fuel for 80 miles they'll make, what, a tenner for the morning?

rich123

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 06:37:02 pm »
Forget about it.
Let them do it.
Don't drop your price, walk away.
You get these clowns in all trades unfortunately.
£45 is fair callout price for a professional carpet cleaner.
It's what I charge.
Anyone can be a busy fool. It's about making a living.

Rich  :)

B Bailey

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 06:40:49 pm »
Looks a really professional company, maybe that's why they command such high prices.

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 06:59:15 pm »
mickey mouse comes to mind  :o ::)roll
"So basically its a big vax!"

gwrightson

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 07:13:01 pm »

Rich ,
 I wouldnt even consider dropping my price , i am busy enough infact the busiest Jan i,ve had sice starting c/c .

As a side note, had a customer call for a static caravan clean , 20 miles away, carpets only, normaly i survey but quoted £120    over the phone, happy customer  so far , arranged to pick the keys up from his home  couple miles from me this morning, heres the good bit ::)roll

Got a txt last night , could he pay me a deposit and the balance at end of month  , i replied full payment upon completion , again happy so it be it  ::)roll  .
 Turned up for keys this morning as arranged , no answer   to the door knock  even though i saw them inside, waited 5 minutes knocked again and a young girl answered  age around  9yrs , " I have come for keys to caravan "
 She shouts to her dad,  "  a man here for the keys to the caravan "   he peers sheepishly around the door, " O.m just getting ready for work cant come to door"    
 Did you ask for your carpets to be cleaned in your caravan ?  
 No   not me mate !!!!  
W-NK-R  
geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 07:18:16 pm »
Geoff £45 is too low for a lounge, if it was a big lounge I guess you would charge a reasonable £65 but it would take an extra 10 minutes so you are increasing you money by 40% with only an extra 5% time taken (based on the amount of time invested in the job)

But in this case you reduced you money by 40% because the job was small so it would take 5% less time to do.

Just to confuse everybody :D :D
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

gwrightson

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 08:12:05 pm »

not confused me Mike ;D

I see the logic,  i just feel £45    Is ok for small lounge.  if every thing goes well , half hour max .

maybe i should consider upping minimum charge, not done for cpl yeARS

Geoff

rich123

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 08:40:34 pm »
Oh yes Geoff, we've all had a taste if that type if customer.
Mike, see what your saying, iv also been told £45 is to low,
but I gotta agree with Geoff, that's a reasonable price for a standard 12'x12' lounge.
Also, depends where you live, different areas can command higher or lower prices.
The art of charging is knowing what the going rate is and what people are prepared to pay.

Rich  :)

david@zap-clean

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 08:42:54 am »
<snip>  i just feel £45    Is ok for small lounge.  if every thing goes well , half hour max .

Geoff, how do you manage to do a small job in 0.5 hr? 
My quickest jobs take me 1.5 hrs, still.
David @ ZapClean
www.zap-clean.com

rich123

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 09:47:23 am »
Doubt that includes setup and packing away,
though saying that hour and a half for a small lounge,
how much kit you got?? Lol  ;)

Rich

DB

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 12:42:54 pm »
Don't forget the clock starts ticking the moment you put the keys in the van...NOT when you arrive on site.

£45 minimum charge is far too cheap

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 01:53:50 pm »
Price is what you can sell at, we're always being told the story about the best carpet cleaners going out of business because they don't charge enough price doesn't mean that you are a poor quality carpet cleaner it may mean that you are poor salesman, the best salesman can get far more than me or many others but are then able to pick and choose their customers after so long and also have enough money in the job to become the best carpet cleaners eventually because they keep re educating themselves in training because they can afford it.

Think marathon not sprint.

Shaun

Doug Holloway

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 02:50:59 pm »
Hi Guys

The way I look at this is that the £17.50 person was never going to be one of my customers so there is no loss.

What amuses me is that someone gets a ridiculously cheap quote and then rings around for something even cheaper.

Cheers

Doug

gwrightson

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 02:57:26 pm »
Doubt that includes setup and packing away,,
how much kit you got?? Lol  ;)

Rich

Either some of you guys are very slow ,  ;)    or you are completly disorganised
  It takes   2 minutes if that to pull out a suction hose and solution line and attach to a wand,  2 minutes to prespray a small lounge,   5 mins max  to aggitate with rotowash   allow another 5 minutes for the odd incindental
 Now if i cannot extract , roll up some pipe and a line on to  reel  and collect my money within  a good 15 minutes  ,  i will think about  doing some thing else.

Infact i have had this discussion with a few c/c .some on here as to how sometimes it can be embarassing  when example .   2 bed  bungalow , entrance , hall, lounge  , dining room    bath/toilet    £150 .00   can be done in a little over an hour  , providing all goes well , before the comment start appearing ;D ;)

Geoff .
ps  A TRUCKMOUNT DOES HELP   :)

gwrightson

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 03:01:21 pm »

"how much kit you got?? Lol 

Rich "

dO  you really want me to list all of it Rich,  you may take a while to read it ,

I only know one other c/c with more equipment  Mr H  .

Geoff

Doug Holloway

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 05:25:54 pm »
Hi Geoff

Do you find the rotowash the best agitator?

Cheers

Doug

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 05:44:01 pm »
Geoff, calm down calm down

Rich was talking to David not you, with  the mention of the equipment.

Take a chill pill!

A lot of old women on this  ;D

gwrightson

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 06:16:49 pm »

Carpet dog ,
i,m perfectly calm  :)  dont know why you got the impression i wasn,t.

Doug  , i use the truvox multi wash on most carpets , but yes roto wash does just have that little more bumf, the one drawback , its much heavier.

Geoff