Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mufcglen

trad window cleaning in rain method!
« on: January 05, 2014, 02:31:10 pm »
ive seen a few posts lately about some guys working in the rain, ive always been against this as im not sure if im doing a proper job or not but living in manchester it rains most of the time!
can you guys tell me your trad techniques as when ive soaped and squeegee'd i cant micro the edges as the rain keeps hitting the wiindows or i cant polish either with a scrim as it smears with spitting!

PurefectWindowCleaning

Re: trad window cleaning in rain method!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 02:54:42 pm »
Same argument really... doesnt matter if its raining you are still 'maintaining' the window and frame...

Johnny B

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 02:55:42 pm »
I am trad, and live in the south west of Ireland, where it also rains a lot. I usually stop when it rains, as most customers don't feel it's worth it. Some appreciate that I need to make a living and let me continue.

My thoughts are if the rain is light and not hitting the windows, there's no problem. If it is heavy and/or it's hitting the glass, I stop. In some instances, the job has to be done regardless. In those cases, this is what I do:

1. Wipe frames with microfibre cloth/scrim.
2. Mop and squeegee glass.
3. Carefully wipe edges and corner of glass, taking great care not to allow any part of the cloth/scrim to touch the glass anywhere else.
3a. If the frames are flush with the glass or are the old wooden type, ignore 3.
4. Wipe sill.

I use a damp cloth/scrim for the frame/sill wipe, and a clean dry one for the detailing.

hth,

John

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

bobplum

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 02:57:20 pm »
i very rarely traded in the rain
but to answer your question, i left the rubber in the squeegee slightly long so as to get into the corners and side of frames, this greatly reduced the need for detailing the edges.
also use  gg3/gg4, its a clear cleaning agent so this doesn't show up if you miss a bit on the detailing
finally i never polished the glass, just applicator, squeegee, detailing (if needed)

also do a dog ear on the end of the squeegee this will help the rubber get close to the frame

deeege

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 03:19:10 pm »
I am trad, and live in the south west of Ireland, where it also rains a lot. I usually stop when it rains, as most customers don't feel it's worth it. Some appreciate that I need to make a living and let me continue.

My thoughts are if the rain is light and not hitting the windows, there's no problem. If it is heavy and/or it's hitting the glass, I stop. In some instances, the job has to be done regardless. In those cases, this is what I do:

3. Carefully wipe edges and corner of glass, taking great care not to allow any part of the cloth/scrim to touch the glass anywhere else.
3a. If the frames are flush with the glass or are the old wooden type, ignore 3.
4. Wipe sill.

I use a damp cloth/scrim for the frame/sill wipe, and a clean dry one for the detailing.

hth,

John

Where abouts in SW Ireland are you John?

I just spent a few days in Ennis with family who live there, great place. Lots of large country properties with lots of glass.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

C o z y

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 03:21:48 pm »
Same as Johnny, but WTF are you doing polishing?  ??? Also, if you dog ear your blade, and get your fanning more exact, you can get by without detailing when working on UPVC frames and some other types of window. I've been n this game quite a while now, but you should reach a point at some time where detailing is really to a minimum mate.

Polishing, still can't imagine doing that.

P.S. just read Bob's reply. +1
No still don't understand, I must be thick

mufcglen

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 03:33:10 pm »
Cheers for comments guys, I've done the dog ears on my squeegee but still have a small bit down the sides, as regards polishing in still doing that as I don't think my technique is that great at the mo as when I'm fanning I leave a small line of water on the glass sometimes!
I've been going about 5-6 months and have just changed from unger blades to the razor blades and finding they glide on he windows easier so that's helping!

C o z y

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 03:37:29 pm »
I think I know what you mean, wait and see if those small lines dry off before you touch the glass with a cloth etc. This is usually caused by turning or altering direction too fast. Slow down your fanning a little and see if that stops it. When you've touched the glass with cloth, you should see what a mess it can leave later with the sun on the glass. Avoid wherever possible.Take a bit more time now, and later you will improve so detailing is very very minimal
No still don't understand, I must be thick

Johnny B

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 03:42:46 pm »

4. Wipe sill.

hth,

John

I just spent a few days in Ennis with family who live there, great place. Lots of large country properties with lots of glass.

I am in Tralee, Co.Kerry.
Regards,
John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

wightsurf

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 03:58:21 pm »
For me I dog ear channel
Cloth the frame just touching the glass after wetting up
Blade glass and only wipe the seal.

G Griffin

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 06:38:33 pm »
Use less water. If your applicator is soaking, then don't soap up to the edge but pre-detail. Soap the middle of the window lightly and then give it a rub around with your sill cloth. You're using your solution more effectively. This also means you get right into the corner of the window and fanning is easier.
Or straight pull the edges before fanning the window. It gets rid of a lot of the solution before you squeegee off properly.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

robertphil

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 07:57:23 pm »
fact is the majority of customers arent fussed whether its raining or not ,long as you do them right
  iv learned that any who kick up a fuss you must tell them straight its "take it or leave it ", some buckle at that point  and never say a murmur ever again

you lose a lot of money by sitting at home when its raining,looking at the sky  fretting

another issue is wearing waterproof clothing, i have 4 full sets for my workers in the van but they normally choose not to bother wearing it ,im the same . 

tom20001

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 10:30:01 pm »

[/quote]

These large country properties , anybody  have any ideas how to make them customers

I reckon canvassing not an option because people too suspicious bout people calling to their doors at these stand alone properties

tom20001

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 10:31:42 pm »
Sorry for jumping topic a little bit   :(

Johnny B

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 02:05:41 pm »

Tom, you were spot on about some people living out in the sticks being suspicious. I stopped to knock a door asking for directions a while ago, and before I could get to his front gate an old guy came out and threatened me with the Garda!)  ::)roll

John

tom20001

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 02:24:24 pm »

Tom, you were spot on about some people living out in the sticks being suspicious. I stopped to knock a door asking for directions a while ago, and before I could get to his front gate an old guy came out and threatened me with the Garda!)  ::)roll

John

lol its funny country folk way more suspicious ha ha!!!!!!!

im in dublin and loads of big houses about and just trying to get some more from these as their big houses= big payers, il try flyers initially all be it slow nd see how it goes :)

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 07:53:16 pm »
i hated tradding in the rain on ladders.horrible miserable work.more often than not id be heading off home within an hour or so.

if i do any trad work its ground floor only.if its raining i make sure i use bone dry scrims for detailing around the edges and dont soap up the window as much but most of the time if its wet i wfp everything.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!