Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

kempy

Advice
« on: January 02, 2014, 04:43:29 pm »
Hi I'm a Wfp window cleaner , but I do a little bit of carpet cleaning , friends and family , only about one job a month .
So as you can tell , pretty much a novice .

Did this  carpet today , normal everyday type carpet , and I removed the wine stain very easily but only made the other type fade a little .

The spill is Amoxyicillin - kids medicine - bright Yellow colour , I did think I'd struggle to remove it .
I use a Rug Doctor - I know , it's only a average machine , like I said I'm only a novice.
I used a PROCHEM double clean crystals
And initial attack was a product called SHIFT - by craftex

Any advice welcomed as I'd like to go back there and remove it if possible

Cheers Dave

Simon Gerrard

Re: Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 05:02:25 pm »
Kiddies medicine is usually very easy to remove. I wouldn't have used a product like Shift for this and the fact that you have may have made matter worse, not better. Using a Rug Doctor doesn't help either as you would probably have got a lot better result if you'd used a hand tool and simply flushed the majority of the stain out with plain water then see what you are left with and deal with it accordingly.

Simon

kempy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 05:51:32 pm »
Like I said I'm no expert .
The stain has been there about a year ,

Any other advice welcome

Neil Jones

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 06:00:47 pm »
What is a normal everyday type of carpet?

I would consider upgrading your rug doctor ASAP if you want to build the carpet cleaning side of your business. Twin vac 135psi pump as a minimum.

You could do with flushing the stain out with a hand tool and them testing various spotter to see if you get transfer on to a white terry towel.

Without knowing anymore I would think the stain is permanent or you are looking at advanced stain removal due to what you've used already and the colour.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 06:07:51 pm »

Any other advice welcome
Go on a training course before you do some serious damage and get rid of the RD, or stick to window cleaning.

Simon

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 06:13:09 pm »
my advice is don't tell your customers your "no expert"...

kempy

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 06:16:14 pm »
Oh dear , I only wanted some honest advice , and like I said I'm one expert .
Oh well
Cheers anyway

kempy

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 06:18:29 pm »
I'm no expert , should of said .

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 06:47:40 pm »
Kempy,
You asked for some honest advice and got it. Sorry if it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Simon

kempy

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 06:52:54 pm »
Advice was what I wanted , the response was a little bit harsh .

Oh well -google etc and ring someone .

Anyway , thanks Dave .

Craigp

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 07:49:15 pm »
Yellow stains are always a bad sign, tell them before you start it's unlikely to come out.

As long as they are told before they are ok with it.

Jonny 87

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 08:02:02 pm »

Any other advice welcome
Go on a training course before you do some serious damage and get rid of the RD, or stick to window cleaning.

Simon

Wow.

I thought it was just the window cleaning section that was full of aggressive posters.

We all have to start somewhere in whatever field we are in. Wether you've been in a course or not, you encounter problems that you aren't sure how to deal with.

Telling someone to "stick to window cleaning"...........oh dear.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 08:11:51 pm »
Aggressive? Just being truthful and... he did ask!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 08:34:21 pm »
These are harsh replies but let's look at what information we have got

1. A yellow medicine
2. An average carpet

There's just not enough to give a 'just' answer, ideally a cleaner should be testing with a ph meter going in with double clean with a ph of 9.8 isn't the way my training was taught to me, as said by simon a clear water rinse would be better then you 'possibly' would go down the oxidisation route but that is based on limited supplied knowledge by yourself.

High ph is great at cutting through grime but ideally you should start at neutral, if you do want to be more successful at stain removal you need more knowledge at fibre identification and learn which products are made for what if you are going to charge people for your service.

Shaun

jim mca

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 08:41:15 pm »
Jonny

The advice Simon has given is the best advice carpet cleaning is not rocket science but does require a little knowledge that is best learned on a training course as for using a rug doctor probably goes down the same on here as cleaning windows with one of those little squeegees from a pound shop

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 08:52:17 pm »
Or using an crumpled up pair of grandmas knickers to clean windows and then ask, 'why are they all streaky?' ;D

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 08:56:22 pm »
My reply wasn't harsh.

You expect to go into customers houses to work on their £300, £500, £1000+ carpets without seeing yourself as an expert speaks volumes.

See this is the problem with carpet cleaning. A lot of people think its a quick run over with any old crap machine. Its bad when the customers think that but its even worse when the carpet cleaner himself thinks the same.

kempy

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 10:34:38 pm »
Nevermind , I got the red wine stain out and many others , and the customer was very happy and grateful .
Overall the carpets come up well
Yes I'm not a professional , and yes I probably require a £2500 machine and a course .

But I thought I'd ask for advice - that's all .

Imagine if I ask for advice on what machine to buy etc . Dread to think .

I did say prior to cleaning that the yellow Amoxyicillin -kids medicine may not come out -simple . And common sense I used .

Anyway , I did get some advice from the above
Kind regards
Dave

wynne jones

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 06:31:48 pm »
Carpet cleaners for some reason get upset when they spend a lot of money on kit, training and marketing and then some guy with no clue about carpets gets the job. Could it be that it's because he's in their face every month that he gets it by any chance?
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

kempy

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 04:44:17 pm »
This customer isn't on my window cleaning rounds , there about a 30 mile drive away , friends of the family .
That's all , wasn't pinching work etc .