This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ant stacey

ive just started out and wondering what i need D.I or RO
« on: December 28, 2013, 06:53:00 pm »
hi guys ive just started out inthe window cleaning and already come across a few houses i cant do trad. so i was thinking about getting a WFP but not sure what i need either a D.I or RO ? im in a medium to hard water area ive done abit of research but still not 100% i have seen a few people using 2 D.I vessels would this work or would RO be better?

any help would be great thanks

mufcglen

Re: ive just started out and wondering what i need D.I or RO
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:55:37 pm »
hi mate, im still new to wfp myself but first thing i was advised was to get a tds meter for around a tenner and see what ppm your water is and go from there!

ant stacey

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 06:56:57 pm »
ok awesome what PPM am i looking for roughly?

EandM

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 07:13:07 pm »
Preferably under 50 but it depends how much water you're going to be using

mufcglen

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 07:20:36 pm »
i have 75 ppm and been told i'll get away with an ro but im going to buy a di as well to be sure!

Jonny 87

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 07:31:11 pm »
With 75 ppm a ro will take your TDS to less than 010. But never below.

In my opinion you should always be cleaning with 003 or under. I can notice the difference.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

mufcglen

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 07:38:17 pm »
hi jony, yes the guy who i spoke to on ebay selling the ro im looking at buying said that and instead of the 300gpd ro i was looking at recommended one with a small di chamber to polish that final bit of water off, but im not sure it will last long but i'll only be doing about 300-500 litres a week as i start out wfp?

DG Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 07:57:33 pm »
Anything 100 or less I'd go di only.
You can set 2 di's up in series get the maximum life from your resin.
Lot less messing about and the cost is small.
As for TDS I find you can get away with it a lot higher than 3ppm if you wash correctly.

mufcglen

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 08:21:08 pm »
I was told the opposite pal, go for an ro as it will cost more in resin over time then using an ro?
I know an di will most certainly take it down to 0 whereas a ro would be there abouts but it's the cost of resin?
Now I'm confused lol

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 08:24:36 pm »
Welcome to the forum! 😎

First test your water TDS - and buy a genuine meter from the likes of daqua

If your in a soft water area then di will be fine but medium to hard 70 ppm up I would invest in an RO and a decent size 11 ltr or bigger resin bottle

How low you need to take the TDS is a matter of some debate, yes 000 could possibly give you more room for error before spotting occurs. Personally I have found no problems under 015 and as my RO takes an average 320 ppm down to 8 I no longer polish off to 000

From experience your asking for trouble from anything at 025+ esp. In the summer sun/hot weather.

I also had the odd window spot when I used nothing other than 000 - sometimes it's down to the conditions and your technique.

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Mike #1

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 07:58:12 am »
My tap water tds is a max of 75ppm and i guy i know has an RO only with 10" pre-filters and has and has not changed his filters in over 3 years .

Glendavis i would go RO only with a 10" di vessel after RO that is what i used for over 4 yrs and just changed the pre-filters every 6 months to protect RO membranes .

In all the time i used RO my tds never went above 000 ppm , So long term it is the cheapest option i would buy a 450 GPD RO . As water production can slow right down in cold weather and before you know it and your business grows you will be using 300-500 litres a day not a week .

And a lower spec RO will not suit your needs then and to filter 350 litres of water via an RO can take up to 8 hours if not longer at times . Mike

DG Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 09:26:15 am »
Depends how you want to purify your water.
 I've got a fairly low TDS so I fill the tank with tap water and then I've got twin 11 litre di's after the pump.
I just fill up and go.
It suits me and its quick.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 09:41:22 am »

In my opinion you should always be cleaning with 003 or under. I can notice the difference.

;D ;D ;D

Completely wrong, on all accounts!!

DG Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 09:56:43 am »

;D ;D ;D

Completely wrong, on all accounts!!

+1 I've cleaned much higher with good results.
We're only talking parts per million after all ;D

mufcglen

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 10:38:04 am »
 I've got a fairly low TDS so I fill the tank with tap water and then I've got twin 11 litre di's after the pump.
I just fill up and go.

hi mate,does it make a difference if pump is after or before the di's and i take it the way your doing is basically as soon as your draining the tap water from your tank its coming out pure straight to use, how often do you have to change the resin doing it this way?

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 10:47:43 am »
I just fill up and go.

hi mate,does it make a difference if pump is after or before the di's and i take it the way your doing is basically as soon as your draining the tap water from your tank its coming out pure straight to use, how often do you have to change the resin doing it this way?

I have the same set up as DG- & have done so for 10 years. In my experience it's better to have the DI's after the pump- so the pump pushes water through & not pulls it through. It will work both ways but the latter is more prone to air ingress.

My tap TDS is approx 90PPM, I use a 400ltr van mount full time & probably use 4 bags of resin a year. Zero waste, fill up anywhere, no seperate holding tank, no RO.

ant stacey

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 11:19:18 am »
hi all thanks for your replies i am still very new to all this and only looking at a backpack WFP ( thinkin about making my own) and just trying to find out whats best and cost efficient my round is only tiny atm but i want to expand and WFP will help me out alot as there is a few house and flat i havnt been able to do atm .

if anyone can offer some advice please can you email me antstacey@hotmail.com

DG Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 11:29:30 am »
I just fill up and go.

Winpo was the one who put me onto having di's after the pump. (Barnsley lads know best ;D
I'm part time with a TDS of 100 I go through a bag a year.
No waiting for RO to do its stuff just fill up and away.
If I had a high TDs then obviously I would use an ro.

mufcglen

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 12:07:25 pm »
2 more questions, what do you guys mean by zero waste?
and if i went for di route instead of ro as i like the idea of instant pure water rather than waiting, would i best going for one big di tank or two small di's, i estimate no more than 200-300 litres a day to be going on with for a while!

DG Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 12:38:26 pm »
With an ro you get waste water as it filtrates.
With a di it just goes through the di vessel and out the other side pure.