This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

scott mcdougall

water filtering
« on: December 28, 2013, 02:20:54 pm »
hi just joined today and need advice,,
I use brodex system and water filters on way out no prob at all.
but now im doing a lot of big buildings and using my resin up realy fast which is normal.
I thought if I could filter water before it gets in tank it would make resin last longer as water more pure going through my resin chamber.
I bought a streamline water filter system has 2 chambers first sediment filter then into carbon filter then into my tank but no change to water
its 0.22 out ov tap and after new streamline its still 0.22,
should this system make my water any purer.or does it just take sand/stone/lime general crap out ...

thanks for any advice

scott

chez

Re: water filtering
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 02:45:50 pm »
Hi Scott and welcome.
I use the Brodex system. 650ltr . The reason why you mainly use filters are to protect  the r/o membrane as the chlorine in the water will kill the membrane. It's sounds as tho you have very low tap tds 22, and as far as I am aware the filters won't lower your tds at all. Only takes out bigger solids in the water. It is only r/o or resin which lowers your tds. So you are pretty much going to go through the resin more quickly than say someone using an r/o to bring it down to practically 0 with such low tap tds.
How much resin are you using every few months? If you swapped to r/o you maybe able to dispense with resin altogether. Then cheaper in the long run.
Cheers chez

dave0123

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 03:26:43 pm »
If you have a tap TDS of 22 i would say your very lucky.

I wouldn't even bother buying a RO there really is no point, just use double DI system (two resin canisters)
Dave.

Carl2009

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 03:33:27 pm »
Welcome!

You don't say if you have an RO unit (and I don't know Brodex system as i'm a Pure Freedom bloke). If you do one thing you could do is get a booster pump to take your tap pressure from 2bar-ish up to around 8. My out of tap tds is low at 80-100-ish; with a booster pump after the RO but before resin it's 1 or 2, certainly sub 5.

A post tap TDS of 22 sounds low to me and resin should last a while I'd have thought, but lads with a resin-only (no RO) system would know better than me how many litres it would take to exhaust it at TDS 22.

Good luck.

scott mcdougall

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 04:04:51 pm »
my resin use to last bout 3 months
but now prob a month or so then need to change it
and 0.22 is pretty low anyway so maybe just have to stick with it.
its not r/o sytem bye way,
could I run it through another one ov these small chambers with with diff type ov resin in or is that pointless realy
just looked on ebay and same sort chamber as 2 iv bought with inline cartridge and just put resin in with it (think) is only cheap and easy add on to what iv fitted.
do you think this would extend life ov main resin by using cartridge and resin before goes in tank then
sorry to sound thick but im new to all this stuff

thanks scott

SeanK

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 06:04:46 pm »
What is the tds of your water when you change the resin?
At the minute Im working with a tds of 4ppm with no problems.

Jonny 87

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 07:21:43 pm »
How much water do you use a day/week?

Get yourself a 1000l static tank in your garden, hooked up to pure freedom 450gpd ro with a shutoff.

add a booster pump if your water pressure is too low.

With 022 water you will not need any resin at all.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

scott mcdougall

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 08:41:05 pm »
my water tds reading is 0 on way out...
o.22 in tank

Jonny 87

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 08:59:48 pm »
Still need to know how much water you use per day?
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

scott mcdougall

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 09:52:06 pm »
prob 500ltr or so at guess m8

Jonny 87

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 10:07:31 pm »
So could you not get a static ro set up at home, then use a submersible pump to pump 500 litres of water of pure into your van in a morning. Then that will be you set for the day with 500 litres of pure.

Then keep a DI vessel in the van incase you get caught short and need to fill up?

That's how id do it anyway. Will be much cheaper on resin costs etc.

Mike #1

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 07:39:01 am »
First off mate depends on your budget and if you have the space to have a 500 ltr static tank at home .

To be straight forward if you only have say £150 to spend and go to www.daqua.co.uk  click on window cleaning supplies then DI vessels get a 15.4 complete di vessel filled with resin for £121.82 inc vat & delivery .

Then have a double DI set up in the back of your van after your pump this will ensure your resin lasts twice as long . Mike