This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Cliff perkins

Re: poor home water pressure
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 07:39:20 pm »
Ive tried to look for the stop cock in road found 2 1 wasnt mine and the other 1 i couldnt turn.
So will contact water board as i dont even know which water meter is mine lol.
Im taking the stop cocks with the water meters are now done with a plastic key thing as i found 1 off them on a meter.

Www.1stglasswindowcleaning.co.uk

Cliff perkins

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 07:40:38 pm »
Hi,

My water pressure at home was 40psi and the Ionic vans wouldn't even fill up at this pressure. Our Pure Freedom twin RO vans would fill up, albeit quite slowly.

We fitted one of these and the pressure is now 120psi.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cbm240e-1in-multi-stage-230v-booster-pum
Did you fit this directly after the mains inlet in the house or did you fit it to the outside tap ?

Works great & not expensive.

spongebob

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 08:30:39 pm »
Cliff
I think you are saying the outside tap is 50 seconds SO quicker.
This would equate to 12 litres per minute which is still pants and combined with the really low pressure you are going to struggle. I think the water board are obliged to give you 1bar and 10lpm. They should survey for free and advise. The kitchen tap sounds like its stuffed if it took that long.
Andy

Flash..

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 08:47:10 pm »
Hi
I timed it today from kitchen sink and it was 2 minutes 20 to fill a 10 litre bucket
I timed the outside tap and that was 50 seconds to quicker.
I also found out that the bloke before had used one of then self piercing kits that you clamp onto a pipe to feed the outside tap.
Would my pressure go up much if take that off and fit proper john guest fittings.

Tried stop cock indoors fully. Unwound.
Couldnt find the stop cock outside and the 1 i did find and turn didnt do anything lol.

Call to the water board needed i think.

Those self piercing kits reduce pressure a lot, take it off put a push fit tee in with a ordinary garden tap and you will see a BIG difference, the screwfix catalogue explains the self piercing kit is no good for use with a pressure washer etc

DG Cleaning

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 08:58:31 pm »
The self piercing kits cannot reduce pressure that will stay constant.
What they will do is reduce flow.because the opening will be smaller.
I'd resolve that first and see how you go, no use fitting a boost pump without enough flow.

Cliff perkins

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 09:09:35 pm »
Thanks for help
I know its a bit of topic with house taps but if it helps any1 else in future its gotta be good.

Im going to take the self piercer tap of tomoz and fix that and also change the kitchen tap see if that improves and also ring the water board and get them out asap.

Fun and games i hope i get it sorted soon. ;D

spongebob

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 09:29:18 pm »
Cliff
The self piercing tap will flow all the water your inlet pressure and flow are giving you. It will be fine with improved mains supply. Swapping it out wont make a big difference but won't make it any worse either.

Flash..

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 10:18:40 pm »
Cliff
The self piercing tap will flow all the water your inlet pressure and flow are giving you. It will be fine with improved mains supply. Swapping it out wont make a big difference but won't make it any worse either.

It cant flow at the same rate as a 15mm copper pipe from memory the flexible hose it comes with is only about 5 or 6mm

spongebob

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 11:00:44 pm »
Flash
The pipe is nearly as big an internal pipe diameter as the copper. It's the small cutting tube that has a small bore as you say. That tap as it is would flow up to 30 litres per min with enough pressure behind it, say 3bar. The tap itself will restrict as much as the self cutting tap.

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 09:06:22 am »
"""Did you fit this directly after the mains inlet in the house or did you fit it to the outside tap ?"""

Hello Cliff,

Our pump is in the garage and we just placed the pump between the pipe after the water meter and the outside tap. The pump turns itself on when you fill up the vans automatically. When the vans are full it turns itself off automatically.

spongebob

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 03:56:07 pm »
"""Did you fit this directly after the mains inlet in the house or did you fit it to the outside tap ?"""

Hello Cliff,

Our pump is in the garage and we just placed the pump between the pipe after the water meter and the outside tap. The pump turns itself on when you fill up the vans automatically. When the vans are full it turns itself off automatically.

If you do this with any type of pump other than the salamander boost or any other similar new product the water board will have your nuts off for it.
You are not allowed to connect any old boost pump to the mains without using a stored water break tank filled by a ball valve or similar for non return/ cross contamination purposes.

The best way to get around it would be to use a double check valve outside tap a d connect it to that with a flexible hose and connector. This way it would be viewed as similar to a pressure washer although it would still struggle to work without enough water flow in your case Cliff.

Cliff perkins

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 04:21:27 pm »
Hi all
To put you all up to speed  i replaced the self tapper tap and replaced the whole lot with better fitments.all john guest and full bore isolator and fitted another tap outside.

I timed how long to fill a bucket that went down from 50 seconds to 30 seconds timed over 10 litres.

Connected it up to my 4040 ro and the psi was 20 with 1.4 bar so exactly the same as before but the flow is better.

Replaced the kitchen tap and that went from 2 mins 20 down to 50 secs again 10 litre times.

I recorded how long it would take to make 10 litres of pure water through my ro. And that was 12 minutes so at that pace would take 5 hours to make 250 litres.
It used to take me 2 hours at my last house.
All that said and done am i just better off putting the booster pump onto the outside tap and put it inside some sort of housing to protect the electrics etc.
And would it be ok using the clarke 1 mentioned.

I just think if ive got 20psi and im running it for 5 hours to get 250l im going to waste a hell of alot of water to make that if the pressure is so poor .(or am i wrong )

Regards

Cliff perkins

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2013, 04:25:43 pm »

Hello Cliff,

If you put it between the water meter and your garden tap is the pump still working when you turn on your kitchen sink and bathroom sink for example ?
Regards

Frankybadboy

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2013, 09:48:25 am »
spongebob are you a plumber by chance  ;D ;D ;D ;D

spongebob

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2013, 10:13:42 pm »
spongebob are you a plumber by chance  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Only on my days off. Lol.

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2013, 11:36:50 pm »

Hello Cliff,

If you put it between the water meter and your garden tap is the pump still working when you turn on your kitchen sink and bathroom sink for example ?
Regards

Hi,
No the pump only comes on when the outside tap is turned on.

Cliff perkins

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2013, 11:59:32 pm »
thanx still got my eye out for a decent cheap enough booster pump that will do the job ;D

Marc Whitbread

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2013, 04:09:39 pm »
I bought a booster pump that requires no down time i believe its a streamline one from wintecs cost about £250 but well worth it
http://www.wintecs.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=10401&osCsid=1q7gap713uno54sjnmb1pkju46