This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Neil Gornall

Shutting water off
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:53:50 pm »
For years my water production has been in my garage which is joined to my house so I have always switched the water on and off manually with no issues.
Now however I have a unit I need to automate it. A simple ballcock in the tank is not enough as that just stops the flow of pure and turns off the pump, but the water still flows through the pump and out to waste.
I need somehow to stop the flow before the pump. any ideas how I would do that?

dannymack

Re: Shutting water off
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:06:20 pm »
Neil I've got the electronic solenoid cut off switch where the cut out hangs in the tank as soon as the water fills and touches it cuts off water supply and booster pump. Mine runs off the water mains in garage to. 👳👳👳 🌲🌲🌲

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 05:47:57 pm »
I'm sure Vin won't mind me putting this photo up.

Water goes into the valve as normal (horizontal fitting) and out of the vertical fitting to the r/o. I think he got the fittings from a local hydraulics retailer.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 07:17:47 pm »

Water goes into the valve as normal (horizontal fitting) and out of the vertical fitting to the r/o. I think he got the fittings from a local hydraulics retailer.

Brilliant, and so simple :)

Can some bright spark invent a way of controlling the booster pump from this set up?

PoleKing

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 12:00:46 am »

Brilliant, and so simple :)

Can some bright spark invent a way of controlling the booster pump from this set up?

If you use the method that Danny (and myself) use, the power can be shut off to a booster pump
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 12:16:02 am »
You need a float switch, and also a solenoid valve.
The solenoid valve needs to be of the type that is normally closed, and only opens when powered.

Have it so that the solenoid switch is connected in series with the float switch.  Fit the float switch at the level you want the tap to stop filling.

Now, have your input water from the mains water supply go through the solenoid first, then to the feed the system to fill the tank.

When the water level reaches the float switch, it breaks the connection, the solenoid valve closes, and the water feed is stopped.

You can also connect your booster pump (if you have one) through the float switch too so that it switches off when the water level is full.

That's how I would do it anyway.

Neil Gornall

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 08:33:52 am »
Thanks Guys. Some good ideas there.

robert mitchell

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 11:28:56 am »
You can use the float valve in the picture to stop the water flow and a pressure switch to stop the pump .

Even better would be a flow switch , similar to the switch that fires a boiler up when you turn on the tap .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Neil Gornall

Re: Shutting water off New
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 07:16:03 pm »
This weekend I moved all the water production over to our new unit. I decided to use the simplest method to turn of the flow so used the ballcock idea put up by Spruce. Thanks for that.

Just one word of caution for anyone else using it. Make sure you get one with the correct internals or do as I had to and get a replacement.
The cone shaped valve that came supplied is far to small on a standard ballcock, it restricted the flow so much the pump kept shutting off. As soon as I replaced it for the red one (largest) it works great.