Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Nick_Thompson

Re: Share your discoveries and inventions!
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2013, 05:38:26 pm »
Ebay mate, got something like 1000 for £4

if i sat down and wrote out all my ideas we could be here all night :D

Share them at the rate of one a day.  :)
Do quantum mechanics fix old transits?

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.

Paul H

« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2013, 07:25:56 pm »
Got a link to the aquarium heater that you use?

Deeege and Andy, I believe this is the one!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-POWERED-500W-1000W-SUBMERSIBLE-AQUARIUM-COMBINED-HEATER-THERMOSTAT-/181271061099?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item2a3498e26b

One of these 1000w heaters in a 500 litre tank of water will raise the temperature to about 26-28 ºC in 7-8 hours, at about £1 in price.

Nick - when you drop it in the tank does it touch the side? Is there a risk of melting the plastic tank? I was always put off this because I heard you had to agitate the water to heat it equally throughout the tank. Am I wrong in thinking the back half of the tank would be cold? I have a 500l tank.

Cheers

Hi Carl!

Those two black plastic surrounds either end of the heater keep it from coming into contact with the tank.

Your concerns regarding the uneven pockets of heated water are largely taken care of by convection (the warmed water will rise allowing the cold water to come into contact with the heater) while the heater is switched on, and the stirring effect of movement whilst driving around.

Of course, there will always be a propensity for the warm water to slowly make its way to the top, but the overall process is not too profound.

Are these sufficient when used over night to (hopefully) prevent pump hose reel etc.. Freezing too as well as heating water in tank for next day ?

Thanks
Paul

got one of these arrived today.

do I keep the plastic (square bits on) when I place it in the tank to keep off the tank itself?

instructions sau keep the suction pads off the heater element of part of the tube... but the above post states I can keep the plastic bits on.. will they not over heat / melt?

comments / thoughts please

thanks
paul 

windowswashed

« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2013, 08:03:30 pm »
If you go in an aquarium shop you can ask to purchase plastic casings for them to minimise damage caused by accidental knocks. Also you can buy these heaters with different lengths of electrical cable, some are only 1 metre and some are 2metres so if you have an upright tank it may pay to buy the 2 metre lengths or fit one that floats on the top of the water

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2013, 08:38:27 pm »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-POWERED-500W-1000W-SUBMERSIBLE-AQUARIUM-COMBINED-HEATER-THERMOSTAT-/181271061099?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item2a3498e26b

One of these 1000w heaters in a 500 litre tank of water will raise the temperature to about 26-28 ºC in 7-8 hours, at about £1 in price.

Nick - when you drop it in the tank does it touch the side? Is there a risk of melting the plastic tank? I was always put off this because I heard you had to agitate the water to heat it equally throughout the tank. Am I wrong in thinking the back half of the tank would be cold? I have a 500l tank.

Cheers

Hi Carl!

Those two black plastic surrounds either end of the heater keep it from coming into contact with the tank.

Your concerns regarding the uneven pockets of heated water are largely taken care of by convection (the warmed water will rise allowing the cold water to come into contact with the heater) while the heater is switched on, and the stirring effect of movement whilst driving around.

Of course, there will always be a propensity for the warm water to slowly make its way to the top, but the overall process is not too profound.

Are these sufficient when used over night to (hopefully) prevent pump hose reel etc.. Freezing too as well as heating water in tank for next day ?

Thanks
Paul

do I keep the plastic (square bits on) when I place it in the tank to keep off the tank itself?

instructions sau keep the suction pads off the heater element of part of the tube... but the above post states I can keep the plastic bits on.. will they not over heat / melt?

thanks
paul 

Hi Paul!

I've used my aquarium heater just as you see it in the picture with no problems whatsoever.

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.

Carl2009

« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2013, 09:05:06 pm »

Cheers

Hi Carl!

Thanks
Paul

thanks
paul 

Hi Paul!

I've used my aquarium heater just as you see it in the picture with no problems whatsoever.

Mine arrived today too, but is broken inside - need to return :-(

Paul H

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2013, 05:25:25 pm »

Cheers

Hi Carl!

Thanks
Paul

thanks
paul 

Hi Paul!

Yeah I just went with that ... Worked a treat ..and if you're right at £1 per day running costs .. Then all the better

Water was nice and warm and tbh .. I was well surprised how it stayed warm all day in side the tank ... Work wise hose was a dream too and thew after was defo better to work with too

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2013, 05:40:36 pm »
Yeah I just went with that ... Worked a treat ..and if you're right at £1 per day running costs .. Then all the better Water was nice and warm and tbh .. I was well surprised how it stayed warm all day in side the tank ... Work wise hose was a dream too and thew after was defo better to work with too 

Paul, you sound like a convert.  :)

Paul H

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2013, 06:13:23 pm »
Yeah I just went with that ... Worked a treat ..and if you're right at £1 per day running costs .. Then all the better Water was nice and warm and tbh .. I was well surprised how it stayed warm all day in side the tank ... Work wise hose was a dream too and thew after was defo better to work with too 

Paul, you sound like a convert.  :)

Can't say I'm disappointed .. Really surprised at the heat retention throughout the day too.. It'll work for me as my van is in the drive overnight .. Extension run from garage and plugged in no probs... Sorted

Save me worrying about going hot for the time being ..

And my budget can just about run to a £1 a day heating costs !

Carl2009

« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2013, 06:04:46 pm »
Hi Nick and Paul,

Just had my aquarium heater in for the first time last night. I had it on max (32c) and it heated the water up a bit - enough to make the hoses noticeably more pliable. What temp do you reckon your water is at after an overnight heat (and what size tank have you got)? Have you got a neon light on your heater (as it says there is a neon light in the instructions - I haven't).

The water was warmer, but nowhere near 32c in my 500l tank. I had it suspended vertically in the tank about 3 inches off the bottom - how do you have yours?

Cheers.

Dan crowther

« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2013, 07:23:26 pm »
A little tip for you fish tank heater users to help get the water up to temp quicker is to have a small circulation pump (fish tank or other) connected to the hose out of the tank and feeding back into the top of the tank. These pumps are just a few watts and cost nothing to run. Easily run off the 12v battery too. Circulation is the key to heating such a big tank in a shorter time.  :)

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2013, 07:36:42 pm »
Hi Nick and Paul,

Just had my aquarium heater in for the first time last night. I had it on max (32c) and it heated the water up a bit - enough to make the hoses noticeably more pliable. What temp do you reckon your water is at after an overnight heat (and what size tank have you got)? Have you got a neon light on your heater (as it says there is a neon light in the instructions - I haven't).

The water was warmer, but nowhere near 32c in my 500l tank. I had it suspended vertically in the tank about 3 inches off the bottom - how do you have yours?

Cheers.

Hi Carl.

My 1000w aquarium heater usually brings the 500, or so, litres of water up to about 24 to 26ºC in 8 hours. I have a second 1000w heater that I use if I require more heat for any reason.

I place the heat on the bottom of the tank with the two plstic surrounds you see in the pictures preventing any direct contact with the tank.

And, yes, my heater has a red light to indicate that the power is on, and that the thermostat hasn't intervened.

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2013, 07:42:37 pm »
A little tip for you fish tank heater users to help get the water up to temp quicker is to have a small circulation pump (fish tank or other) connected to the hose out of the tank and feeding back into the top of the tank. These pumps are just a few watts and cost nothing to run. Easily run off the 12v battery too. Circulation is the key to heating such a big tank in a shorter time.  :)

Thanks for the tip whostolemyhair, are you an ichthyologist?

Carl2009

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2013, 10:22:42 pm »

If I do this I might as well add a shipwreck and some guppies and be done with it.  :)

Carl2009

« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2013, 10:23:33 pm »
Hi Nick and Paul,

Cheers.

Hi Carl.

My 1000w aquarium heater usually brings the 500, or so, litres of water up to about 24 to 26ºC in 8 hours. I have a second 1000w heater that I use if I require more heat for any reason.

I place the heat on the bottom of the tank with the two plstic surrounds you see in the pictures preventing any direct contact with the tank.

And, yes, my heater has a red light to indicate that the power is on, and that the thermostat hasn't intervened.

Cheers Nick. What size tank have you got?

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2013, 11:24:55 pm »
Hi Nick and Paul,

Cheers.

Hi Carl.

Twin 500 litres, Carl.

Carl2009

« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2013, 04:53:12 am »
Hi Nick and Paul,

Cheers.

Hi Carl.

Twin 500 litres, Carl.

So 1 aquarium heater per tank?

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2013, 06:48:10 am »
So 1 aquarium heater per tank?

Yes, if I'm going to need alot of water, but usually I'll isolate one tank via a flow control tap and use either one or two heaters (one, more often than not) in a single 500 litre body of water. If I start to run out of water during the latter part of the day, I'll open the tap and work with the cold at a time in the day when important.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2014, 10:47:23 am »
 I came across this today, not used it in ages, but it did work.

I drilled two small holes and fitted a pair of fan jets and then the t piece. This is a Gardiner Scraper and the fan jets. It pops in between the socket and stock. I made this for solar panel rinsing, to get more flow. But its a cheap gizmo for any cleaning, over the top rinsing or just plain fun water fights.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2014, 06:15:51 pm »
Just followed that Ebay link - it's expired.  Google search only found up to 300w heaters.  Anyone know if the 1000w are still available and where to get them?

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2014, 07:12:04 pm »
I keep supa glue and insulation tape to seal joints splits etc.