This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Nick_Thompson

Re: Share your discoveries and inventions!
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 10:29:40 pm »
i just like organisation m8! people say i have a ocd but thats unbelievable!

The fish tank heater does it really work??????

Oh, I see, you're referring to the state of my van, aren't you?

The 'fish tank heater' can raise the water temperature to 30ºC before the built in thermostat cuts in, and while that may not produce enough heat at the brush head for optimum first clean results, it's more that enough to keep the hose supple and the water flowing, Chanster.
Do quantum mechanics fix old transits?

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.

chanster00

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 11:57:09 pm »
once unplugged how long does it take to cool!

Jonny 87

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2013, 03:00:30 am »
i just like organisation m8! people say i have a ocd but thats unbelievable!

The fish tank heater does it really work??????

Oh, I see, you're referring to the state of my van, aren't you?

The 'fish tank heater' can raise the water temperature to 30ºC before the built in thermostat cuts in, and while that may not produce enough heat at the brush head for optimum first clean results, it's more that enough to keep the hose supple and the water flowing, Chanster.

That is a really good idea.

I have a LPG heater and I the winter I only have the water going into the reel at 30degrees c anyway. By the time it gets to the brush head it's about 15 degrees which in the winter is plenty.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2013, 08:40:11 pm »
once unplugged how long does it take to cool!

Well, if I heat one of my 500 litre tanks to, say, around 28ºC and then use 400 litres throughout the day, the 100 litres that still remains in the tank reads somewhere around 15ºC to 18ºC, depending on how cold it is outside. If you were so inclined as to negate the benefits of the lost heat from the water in the tank, that would be providing enough warmth to stop anything freezing up in the back of the van whilst on the move, I suppose you could significantly influence the loss with a little insulation.

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.

Mr.G

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2013, 10:28:48 pm »
Here's a little discovery I made - gutter support brackets make rather good pole holders!

windymiller

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2013, 10:48:57 pm »
A little discovery i made a few years back called LADDERS  ;D   you all shud give them a try  ;D

PoleKing

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2013, 10:58:19 pm »
A little discovery i made a few Many, Many, Manyyears back called LADDERS  ;D   you all shud give them a try  ;D

FTFY  ;D
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

windymiller

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2013, 11:00:15 pm »
im only 42 so cant be 50 years  :)

PoleKing

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2013, 11:35:01 pm »
im only 42 so cant be 50 years  :)

You look good for 42.
Haircut wouldn't go amiss though.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2013, 11:39:25 pm »
Here's a little discovery I made - gutter support brackets make rather good pole holders!

Nice one, Mr G! Do you find them strong enough?

A little discovery i made a few years back called LADDERS     you all shud give them a try  

;D

LWC

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2013, 11:55:15 pm »

Nice one, Mr G! Do you find them strong enough?

Yes they are

Carl2009

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 07:56:20 am »
Got a link to the aquarium heater that you use?

Deeege and Andy, I believe this is the one!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-POWERED-500W-1000W-SUBMERSIBLE-AQUARIUM-COMBINED-HEATER-THERMOSTAT-/181271061099?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item2a3498e26b

One of these 1000w heaters in a 500 litre tank of water will raise the temperature to about 26-28 ºC in 7-8 hours, at about £1 in price.

Nick - when you drop it in the tank does it touch the side? Is there a risk of melting the plastic tank? I was always put off this because I heard you had to agitate the water to heat it equally throughout the tank. Am I wrong in thinking the back half of the tank would be cold? I have a 500l tank.

Cheers

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2013, 08:51:48 am »
I have another one! An alternative method of securing your pole clamps.

After the removal of any glue remnants from the end of the pole (l use a combination of scraper blade and Emery paper), degrease it with a little alcohol (spirit, not Baileys).

Apply electrical insulation tape to the order of one and a half or more turns (you'll have to experiment a little) to the pole end.

Stand the clamp in just enough boiled water to cover the part of the clamp that houses the pole for one minute.

Dry as quickly as possible and immediately apply to the pole end with a slight twist in the direction that the tape was applied

Push the clamp all the way home by inverting the pole and pressing down on a firm surface.

As the clamp cools it will shrink to greatly enhance the permanency of the interference fit.

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2013, 09:26:04 am »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-POWERED-500W-1000W-SUBMERSIBLE-AQUARIUM-COMBINED-HEATER-THERMOSTAT-/181271061099?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item2a3498e26b

One of these 1000w heaters in a 500 litre tank of water will raise the temperature to about 26-28 ºC in 7-8 hours, at about £1 in price.

Nick - when you drop it in the tank does it touch the side? Is there a risk of melting the plastic tank? I was always put off this because I heard you had to agitate the water to heat it equally throughout the tank. Am I wrong in thinking the back half of the tank would be cold? I have a 500l tank.

Cheers

Hi Carl!

Those two black plastic surrounds either end of the heater keep it from coming into contact with the tank.

Your concerns regarding the uneven pockets of heated water are largely taken care of by convection (the warmed water will rise allowing the cold water to come into contact with the heater) while the heater is switched on, and the stirring effect of movement whilst driving around.

Of course, there will always be a propensity for the warm water to slowly make its way to the top, but the overall process is not too profound.

Carl2009

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2013, 10:09:01 am »

Cheers

Hi Carl!

Those two black plastic surrounds either end of the heater keep it from coming into contact with the tank.

Your concerns regarding the uneven pockets of heated water are largely taken care of by convection (the warmed water will rise allowing the cold water to come into contact with the heater) while the heater is switched on, and the stirring effect of movement whilst driving around.

Of course, there will always be a propensity for the warm water to slowly make its way to the top, but the overall process is not too profound.

Cheers Nick

STEVE-UK

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2013, 10:47:42 am »
Relocating the handle from factory position to location highlighted by arrow significantly speeds up reeling in

Simply drill hole where highlighted, refit handle to new location

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 02:45:56 pm »
Relocating the the handle from factory position to location highlighted by arrow significantly speeds up reeling in

Hi Steve!

I'm just wondering whether that might create a little too much torque, when in the summer, for example, you might have to contend with reeling in all 100 meters of hose with the friction that is produced over hot tarmac.

Having said that, I'm going to give it a go anyway,  just as soon as I can get to my dads and use his pillar drill.

Thanks for the tip!

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 03:25:45 pm »
An emergency flow controller bypass; complete with battery clamps, switch, fuse and female electrical connections (or, whatever they're called) for when the charge in a already knackered battery is insufficient to allow for the usual controller functions, but is still strong enough to power the pump for hours.

Carl2009

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2013, 03:38:28 pm »
Relocating the the handle from factory position to location highlighted by arrow significantly speeds up reeling in

Hi Steve!

I'm just wondering whether that might create a little too much torque, when in the summer, for example, you might have to contend with reeling in all 100 meters of hose with the friction that is produced over hot tarmac.

Having said that, I'm going to give it a go anyway,  just as soon as I can get to my dads and use his pillar drill.

Thanks for the tip!

I did this when I got my new Pure Freedom-style reel with no problems. Note that the new reel came with a plastic handle as opposed to the metal handle of the original reel. The plastic one broke quickly so when I swapped the old handle across I did as suggested here and drilled a new hole. As I say there have been no issues and it does def speed up winding in.

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2013, 03:51:41 pm »
Now, this is only for those of you who are at your wits end with grit grinding away your carbon fibre faster than you can save up to replace it.

Are you ready... dont hold back... let me have it!

Once you get used to it... no, really... as long as you always remember to retract the pole in the upright position, it works fine. But, of course,  the best thing about mastering the pole with an external hose is this...

NOTHING!