This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

atoddyone

dog ear
« on: March 11, 2006, 11:14:00 am »
hi all could one some plz tell me how to dog ear is it to the rubber or away form it is there any one who as a pic so as i see how it done menny thanx in advance
tony :-[

Roy Harding

Re: dog ear
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 01:11:42 pm »
Here you go.

Roy

Ian_Giles

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 01:17:43 pm »
Well done Roy, ;)
I had just taken some pics myself and was going to do the same thing lol.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

atoddyone

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 04:33:41 pm »
thank you vv much ill try that out on some of my old ones as not try this out be for
so menny thanx to ya mat good pic  ;) ;) :)

sunshine windows

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 08:58:59 am »
Did this with my 10" channel last week. It's bloody fantastic. Saved me loads of time on detailing.

Thanks loads guys.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

P.S. Someone on a different post said not to bother dog earing smaller channels. I've cut one down to around 4-5" for smaller panes. Why would it not be as effective on a smaller channel.

Sunshine

To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Ian_Giles

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 09:14:02 am »
I've done it on my smaller channels too, but to be honest it doesn't make a lot of difference.
On longer channels, dog earing helps to negate any 'flex' in the channel, thereby keeping pressure on the ends of the channel and in so doing reducing the amount of detailing required.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

bernlyn

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:24:32 pm »
great tip

just bookmarking this page
if i dont succeed i will try again and again

Adam Boss

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 05:50:23 pm »
Just wears the tips of the rubber quicker, so not worth it IMO and if your good with a squeegee then why do it ?
Regards
Adam
EST: 1988

brightnclean

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 06:50:07 pm »
YAY a "proper" window cleaning topic at last!!   :D

Thats a great illustration of how to dog-ear a channel. I am gonna open up a real can of worms here and say that without trad skills you can't be a proper window cleaner  :P

Don't get me wrong I think WFP is great but you need to be a good all rounder to take advantage of all the work avaialable a lot of which can't be done with WFP.   E.G. Insides etc.

I gotta laugh at not dog earing coz it wears the rubbers out faster. Some days I do a full day on the squeegee and always turn the rubber around in the chnnel half way through the day to give a new edge to work with. Even with hard rubbers if you do more than a day you will leave very small lines across the glass where the rubber has been nicked. You maybe cant see them from outside but when the sun shines through the window they will be there. It amazes me sometimes how much penny pinching goes on  :o

bernlyn

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 06:54:52 pm »
brightnclean

please look at my posting of rubbers and let me know what you think

thanks bern

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 07:05:59 pm »

Thats a great illustration of how to dog-ear a channel. I am gonna open up a real can of worms here and say that without trad skills you can't be a proper window cleaner  :P

Don't get me wrong I think WFP is great but you need to be a good all rounder to take advantage of all the work avaialable a lot of which can't be done with WFP.   E.G. Insides etc.

I gotta laugh at not dog earing coz it wears the rubbers out faster. Some days I do a full day on the squeegee and always turn the rubber around in the chnnel half way through the day to give a new edge to work with. Even with hard rubbers if you do more than a day you will leave very small lines across the glass where the rubber has been nicked. You maybe cant see them from outside but when the sun shines through the window they will be there. It amazes me sometimes how much penny pinching goes on  :o

Sorry to bring you down but this post was made in the days when people still went up ladders   ;D  .  Check the dates a few posts back and you will see that the thread is from the Middle Ages.

jikwan

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 07:10:40 pm »
i dogear all my blades
do you guys find fanning dogears any less effective?
Zen is the art of seeing everything.....noticing nothing

bernlyn

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 07:15:06 pm »
BUT surely there are still people that go up ladders still today

brightnclean

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 07:18:03 pm »

Sorry to bring you down but this post was made in the days when people still went up ladders   ;D  .  Check the dates a few posts back and you will see that the thread is from the Middle Ages.

LOL  ;D  And there was me gettin all excited about proper window cleaning  DUH!!!

brightnclean

Re: dog ear New
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 07:26:37 pm »
not the kind you are thinking  ;D

i was looking to buy some 12" rubbers but some of the sites only has them in long lenghts 36" and so on. so the question is do you buy these and cut them to size which will be cheaper as i would get 3 from 36" for £0.54 each or do you just buy 3 at 12" and they are £0 .70 each

also which rubbers would you buy i see that a few w/c use pulex soft

thanks bern

Bern.. if that's the post you are referring to I would buy the
36"lengths and cut them to size. You can get proper rubber cutters.

Pulex soft is a good type to use for a relatively new window cleaner like yourself. If you use the squeegee all day long make sure you turn the rubber round half way through the day to give yourself a new edge to work with. Especially with soft rubbers. Use a new rubber every day.. OMG I just worked that out...  that would cost you a whole £2.70 a week Noooooooo  dont do it!!!  ;D  ;D

I will have a quick look around for you to try and find you a decent rubber cutter online.

Here ya go:  http://www.soapnational.co.uk/acatalog/New_Products.html

They have one there and a decent deal on a pack of 10 x 36 inch soft rubbers.   :)