This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cleaning cills wfp
« on: March 09, 2006, 10:12:13 pm »
ive been getting a few complaints about 1st floor cills,not been cleaned properly . I thougt it would be a good idea to have something similar to a flipback with your wfp brush one side applicater the other it whould also be good for removing  bird poo ,any thougts

Re: cleaning cills wfp
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 03:43:12 pm »
never had a prob with cleaning the sills but i have attached a piece of green scotchbright (scratchy pad) to the side of my brush and its excellent at scrubbing off the dried on bird crap, especially if you wet it first then go back to it after doing a few other windows...

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 04:10:40 pm »
How can you clean what you can't see? ???

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 05:18:41 pm »
Mmmm.........I give up Rog, how can you clean what you can't see?  ;D ;D

Ok, seriously, of course you can't actully see the sill, but it really isn't much of a problem to clean it, particularly UPVC.
Wash the winodws and then give a light wipe with the brush.
I really don't have any problems at all with them.
You can't put the pressure on that you could if you were using your washer or a scrim, but lets face it, most of us give them a quick squeegee off or a cursery wipe with the scrim you use to mop up with.

Now some of you may well spend time burnishing every sill to a high gloss, but most  just wipe the excess water from squeegee-ing off the glass.

Doing georgian or leaded windows??
Half the time I'll bet you just give the sill a bit of a rub over with the scrim you are cleaning the window with.
Not many will wet the sill, wash it and then wipe it dry with a clean scrim, I sure as hell never did, and as Squeaks and anyone else who has ever worked for me will testify, I've always been particular about making sure sills are cleaned.
They just don't take much effort, and the same goes for WFP, by and large you'll do just as good a job as you would trad.
Though because you will have done a good job on cleaning the frames, the sills may now stand out if you haven't made the effort to get them right on  the first clean :-\

I've often thought about attaching one of those pads on to the brush at some point too....with bird poo and so on being the reason....haven't done it yet though!! :-[

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 05:47:45 pm »
never had a prob with cleaning the sills but i have attached a piece of green scotchbright (scratchy pad) to the side of my brush and its excellent at scrubbing off the dried on bird crap, especially if you wet it first then go back to it after doing a few other windows...

Hey, that's a simple but excellent idea.

Some types of bird-poo seem to be 'welded' to the glass. 

How did you attach it?  Super glue?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 05:56:03 pm »

How did you attach it? Super glue?
No, bird-poo. ;D

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 06:30:36 pm »

How did you attach it? Super glue?
No, bird-poo. ;D

You a funny guy!

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 06:38:25 pm »
Made me chuckle though  ;D
Sarah

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 06:44:36 pm »

Groan!!!

I'm trying to avoid the ladders versus WFP debate, because I think it puts many ladder users off from posting!

I wish Squeeks would take the hint!

Filllllll

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 06:45:38 pm »
After cleaning 1st floor windows one side of the house I then adjust the adjustable gooseneck so the brush is at 90 degrees to the pole & then flick the sills once each way.

So far so good & it also helps prevent rogue drips onto ground floor windows, which I then do next,one side of the house, & then the same the other side.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 06:51:11 pm »

Groan!!!

I'm trying to avoid the ladders versus WFP debate, because I think it puts many ladder users off from posting!

I wish Squeeks would take the hint!

I consider my knuckles wrapped Tosh.  I should have known better.

Was trying to lighten things up too - obviously did not work. 

Sarah

Sarah

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 07:10:15 pm »
Ah, ignore him Sarah - he's a geordie.

Oops, forgot this isn't the chat section.... ;D :-[

dai

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 09:31:31 pm »
How can you clean what you can't see? Huh
Squeaks, I'm glad I'm not washing your underwear. DAI

brett walker

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 09:39:10 pm »
Cleaning the sills with wfp worried me a bit at first but i havent had 1 complaint i just give it a quick brush and when you rinse the window it seems to just wash the sill down

Brett

Morph

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 10:23:26 pm »
I am finding that if you clean the sills as described; quick wipe with brush, rinse, brush again.
The fact is, using an applicator and scrim I used to wipe the sill dry, end of job, down the ladder.
Now, of course, the pure water drives all the dirt from under the frame onto the sill, so, more rinsing.  After a couple of cleans, easier than ever.
Quick wipe of sill with brush...squeaky clean.  In fact, cleaner than ever.

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2006, 11:55:29 am »

How did you attach it?  Super glue?
just folded it over three times and then used 3 short screws and screwed it onto the top edge.
it covers nearly the whole edge and saves you having to soak the bird crap and then come back to it. it would be better to use some washers to hold it in place better but i'll do that when the pad wears out for next time.
the brush its on is a vikan if that helps..

twt

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2006, 01:24:48 pm »
wont the screws scratch the glass? could you post a picture sorry to be a pain.

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2006, 07:43:13 pm »
wont the screws scratch the glass? could you post a picture sorry to be a pain.
am very sorry but as i've just managed to learn how to turn on a pc,posting a pic is a bit beyond me but i'll try to narrate an image!-
as you look at the top of the brush,looking down on the jets i have fixed the scotchbrite on the top edge as you're looking at it, and because it's folded over 3 times the screws are not "proud" of the scratchy.
i might be able to ask my wife to help me post a pic if this is clear as mud.....let me know

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2006, 08:13:16 pm »
here it is,

[attachment deleted by admin]

twt

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2006, 11:48:01 pm »
thanks genesis windows great idea think im gonna have to copy that.