Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

I am going to cry
« on: March 07, 2006, 04:47:40 pm »
Anyone going to Colorado on holiday with a bit of room in their suitcase?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rug-Doctor-Carpet-Steam-Cleaner-Shampooer-Extractor_W0QQitemZ4443648270QQcategoryZ20611QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just look how cheap the Yanks are getting things!

HQCS (John Kastrian)

Re: I am going to cry
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 04:59:36 pm »
Just proves yet again how we are ripped off over here on just about anything we purchase.
Some suppliers will try to justify high prices by saying goods have to be imported,so how can we buy a british car abroad for thousands less than here even taking into account shipping costs?

mark_roberts

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 05:23:17 pm »
Simply demand and supply.

The 'yanks' charge on average around .15p a foot compared to us but its all relative.

Anywhy why you wanting a rug doctor anyways.

Mark

Liahona

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 05:51:48 pm »
Mark, I understand what you say about the prices being relative but no one in the states charges 15p. Even commercial get more than that. Most cleaners worth anything as we all are charge about 25p a foot but again it is relative. Still doesnt alter the fact that here in Britain we are ripped off. But this story has been gone into before so,,,, best, Dave.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 06:13:52 pm »
The seller can post the Rug Doctor Carpet Steam Cleaner Shampooer Extractor to the UK, is this worth it?  Is this machine good for a starter?

Kind regards,
Arthur

craig b

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 06:25:43 pm »
on your point fo being ripped of insurance 2005 £126.00 H.S.B.C.......2006 £2060.00 H.S.B.C NOW THATS A RIP OFF!!
that is for genral cleaning does not include outside windows...

PaulKing

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 06:52:37 pm »
What if someone bought these at £311 shipped it over Say £90, you'd be lucky they are charging £46 within the US,  To ship 4 kilos in  poster tube 4 ft long has just cost me £86

Then you did'nt  pay the VAT and Duty on it up to £15 is free over £15 is liable for both ( naughty naughty)( and it's going to be XRAY'ed because it is imported) and if caught would definatly get you inspected at somepoint in the near future, no point claim ingnorance as ingnorance is no defence!

Then did'nt change all the motors ( there are three of them VAC PUMP and BRUSH from 110V to 240 but just bought a transformer say £45 for a cheapy one

So thats 311+90+45 £446 ex vat and duty so not a white/straight machine but a very very grey import and that's if you don't get caught......

Or put "Rug Doctor wide track" into GoogleUK and click on the first link and get it in the uk in 240V spec  £424.68+vat  with the hand tool (and I did'nt look to see if it was any cheaper eleswhere)

SOThe question is are we really being ripped off as I am left wondering how the UK guy does it for that ?

Ps The machine is great for as a  hire/domestic machine but thats about all, care homes use them to keepon topof things and suck up granny wee!
not really  something you would base a business on capacity is small and therefore needs to be refiled and emptyed a lot!

Arthur you can hire one at No Frills Diy in Benton and have a go for £25 a day and try before you buy.
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 06:56:50 pm »
Thanks Paul, very informative  ;D ;D

Kind regards,
Arthur

Liahona

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 07:03:43 pm »
Paul, yes we are getting ripped off but thats another story.... In the US it costs 2 dollars a pound to send stuff from the US  to England.... Dont know why you had to spend 86 pounds. best, Dave.

PaulKing

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 07:05:47 pm »
$2 a pound who with!

therapist

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 07:14:14 pm »
Could you explain the concept of  '' being ripped off ''

rob

PaulKing

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 07:15:39 pm »
Paid that with FedEX beause i would like it in one piece insured and delivered to me,and if it arrives broken I can sign and then claim.

Rug doctor 240V and those motor weight less than 110V weights

Weight: 16.3 kg  = 35.86 pounds x $2= $71.75

So let me get this right, you can get it shiped to the UK for less than they are charging to ship it with the continental united states? are you forgetting packaging maybe?

"Postage Cost  Services Available  Delivery Time*  Available to
US $79.95  UPS Ground  1 to 6 working days  United States only "

Honestly Hats off to you!  can you get me a 40ft container shgipped at those prices I feel a spending spee coming on!

PaulKing

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 07:22:23 pm »
p.s US factory warrenty means nothing here.

The UK machine has to have a 12 month warrenty by law as it is sold in this country. And your contract is with the suppiler.

Still trying to work out where we are gettin ripped off. but obvioulsy missing by a mile?

Glides are another one like this,  you can save a few quid buying online but if they break you don't have the satisfaction of poking the suppilers eye out at CARPEX do you, unless you get on a plane  ;D

Liahona

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 07:30:51 pm »
Containers are different of course but if you are looking to move a lot of stuff then you should use pallets as they are done by size not always weight. I think but dont quote me on this that 2 dollars a pound is up to 80 lbs. Believe me on this as over the last 2 years I have sent or had sent over 100 boxes of stuff...... Oh yeah Fed Ex and UPS are about 4 times as much as the US Postal Service. .........I sent over a canoe yes a canoe that weighed 38 pounds and it cost me just under 100 dollars, the extra was because it was over a size limit, either way a little more than you were paying. Fed Ex wanted 380 dollars and UPS wanted 420, I went with the Post Office...... Last example, I sent over my truckmount with loads of other stuff, 300 feet of 2 inch hose 300 feet of 3/8 solution hose, lances, wands, sprayers and like i said loads of stuff, cant remember what it all weighed but close to 1800 pounds I am sure.... It cost me 960 dollars..... and that was it being flown here to LHR not by an actual ship........Hope this helps, best, Dave.

Liahona

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 07:38:44 pm »
Paul to give you an idea of why in England we are ripped off. Doesnt matter what my truckmount is so here goes. I bought it, had it flown here, picked it up from customs and the storage people paid all charges from start to finish and it cost me 9,320 pounds and a bit of change and that included many other goodies like i have said earlier...... Just the truckmount here is close to 16,000 pounds with out any goodies........ sliders are 5 pound each here whereas in ther US they are 2 dollars and 50 thats almost three times the price..... corner guards are twice the price here, shall I go on....  Best, Dave.

PaulKing

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 07:59:31 pm »
Who suports the warrenty on you machine?

And again I ask how you can get it shiped to the UK for less than ground shipping in the US form this seller which is the model I based my rough calculations on?

Flown a TM over at 250lbs last week and it was more expensive than that to LHR and how did you manage the customs ? as you don't mention using an agent.

Hell what ever you answer I would still buy the rug doctor with the english plug for £20 less and pay the VAT  ( which can be reclaimed if your registered)
 Think what I am trying to say is sometimes false economy comes into play, and the glides i mentioned are close to the £95UK mark or  £87 + shipping from the US. Just not enough in it to bother with the hassle

Liahona

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 08:20:37 pm »
I know the machine so wasnt concerned with the warranty, not only that how often do they go wrong with in the time limit ,anyway, also the distributor in this country off the record took on my machine.....My portable weighs 185 pounds, what tm weighs 250??? with regards the better deals the more you buy the better obviously you will be, just the small stuff isnt worth it...... For the record for what its worth I have just spoken to my lot in California and they are sending me a spotting machine, two glides and a few other goodies for a total of 120 dollars, dont know what else to say, best, Dave.

PaulKing

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2006, 08:39:01 pm »
Put me down for the same, which agent and how do you get from110v to 240V

Liahona

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 09:54:50 pm »
I dont use 240 I keep it at 110.... If you are doing commercial work in theory you arent alowed to use 240...

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2006, 09:57:46 pm »
...If you are doing commercial work in theory you arent alowed to use 240...

Why?