Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Liahona

Re: I am going to cry
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 10:33:36 pm »
because you are only alowed to use 110 volts on a buiding site and or in a commercial building. If you are carrying out anywork in a public building you have to use 110 volts. Dont quote me on this but as far as I know if you have a machine  powered out side of a building be it a c/c machine or a drill and it is being used inside, it must also be 110 volts but again I am not too certain on that. Not only that but why would you want a machine outside in the rain with 240 volts and you on the end of it??? Best, Dave.

PaulKing

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2006, 10:37:42 pm »
So you have a Steamway (good machine) as hinted  from your other post

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=17162.0
"Steamways isnt the best of sites but does show and go through all you need to see.... and you can see my truck mount too..... best, Dave. "

Will Alltec take on the warrenty "off the record" for everyone ?

As for 110v for comercial how do you get that then from a generator or do you just step downfrom 240v using a transformer. We do a lot of work for builders who specify 110v on site, then get a bit lost when you bring out a 110v machine and say where do i plug this in!
Usually they say use a transformer from that 240v socket ! or run a line from the site office ( 500 yards away)

Once and once only got a dodgy 110 v ship to clean and guess what the yard  ran 240v mains to every deck as no one could use any power tools to work, real life and practice are sadly often miles apart.

Do you have the white sprinter with a steamway machine I saw cleaning in Gay Street one staurday in Bath back in september? If was'nt established here would love a crack of the whip in your locality.

Honestly think you should bring in some machines and sell them on this board let face it fromwhat you quote you could murder the prices we are paying. Get  quotes for a proper portables door to door and add on £100 for your trouble,just think you cold make a killing.

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

PaulKing

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 10:48:14 pm »
Sorry 110v or 240v in the rain, either is death trap unless earthed.

"the volts give you the jolts"

"the amps put out your lamps"

Lightning is millions of volts and does kill everyone.

The reason for less volts is because it cannot jump longer gaps, it is also not as good a power source,along the same cable it is exactly half as good

Last time i looked V x A = watts

therefore 240x13 =3120watts  or 110X13=1430watts
You cannot change the law of physics Jim!!!!!!!!!!!

That why some US house still have a 240 supply for tumble dryers !

Liahona

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 10:59:07 pm »
I wasnt trying to refer that 110 was any better in the rain just said it is the law to have it.......and you are exactly right with regards the dryers in the US, as 110 doesnt have the umph....... and yes it could have been me in Bath, it is an area that I service....... most generators have a switch for 110 or 240, my truckmount puts out 110 so I am legal to have lights or airmovers or whatever I need in an emergency, i.e flood jobs where it is night time and no lights on for obvious reasons, best and goodnight for now, Dave.

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2006, 11:06:36 pm »
Dave,
I would like to ask you which law (regarding voltage) you are referring to?  Can you be as specific as you can, please?
Kind regards,
Arthur

PaulKing

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2006, 11:07:42 pm »
"my truckmount puts out 110 so I am legal to have lights or airmovers or whatever I need in an emergency"

Your pullingmy leg your truckmount generate 110volts thats something i have never seen on any trukmount, a generator and one else familar with that on steamway machines?

Liahona

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2006, 06:41:05 pm »
Paul, I sent you an e-mail giving you all the info with regards the 110 volt genny. I know you have questioned it but it does exist, best, Dave.

Liahona

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2006, 07:11:46 pm »
Arthur, I am still trying to find the law and where it is written. I have found out though as long as it is a building site then all appliances must be 110 volts or less and yes these are usually plugged into a transformer of your own or the sites. With regards public buildings, once it is not a building site anymore then 240 volts can be used.....however each building has their own health and safety and have the right to enforce anyone to use 110 volts. Hope this helps for now and I will still try to find out where it is written. Who knows maybe it isnt written and it is an unwritten obvious law if that makes sense. A lot of the "dwellings" I clean enforce 110 but then I dont clean normal dwellings and these houses are a law unto themselves, unwritten of course. Best, Dave.

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2006, 09:19:35 pm »
Thanks Dave for your reply,

You should not bother finding the law, as I just wondered about it, because the whole story about using 110 volts equipment in the UK seems so strange to me.  May be this issue appears to me as an out of the ordinary story because I have never dealt with cleaning building sites…

Kind regards,
Arthur