This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

windymiller

Anyone use ibc in Van?
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:54:45 am »
Does anyone use a ibc tank in their van? if so how do fasten it down in your van and also how do you baffle the tank?

was thinking of getting a 600 litre ibc tank to fit in my expert.

rg1

Re: Anyone use ibc in Van?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:45:08 pm »
You can baffle it by using land drainage pipe from b & q.

as for fastening, you would need to cage it or bolt through the floor.
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

Simon Mess

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 06:45:15 pm »
Hi Windy, is there any reason why you want an ibc rather than a tank designed to go in a van?. Unless it is due to cost (I believe ibc's are pretty cheap), there are no benefits. As you say, you will have to put baffles in, but also, because of the applications they are designed for, ibc's tend to be quite tall, so will naturally be more unstable.

Another thing you might want to look into is your weight. Is it the 1000kg version you have? (assuming it is the current shape). The reason I bring it up is because manufacturers quoted payload's seem to be about as accurate as their quoted fuel consumption!. I have a transit connect 230, which has a 900kg payload, or so they say, so I would be fine with a 500l tank, right?. One of my customers is a farmer, a big farm, and they have a weighbridge on the way in. One day I went over it with a full tank, got a bit of a shock to find it was reading 2300kg, that is only 40 less than my gvw, and I don't carry a lot of other stuff in my van!. Of course, if you have the 1200kg version you will definitely be fine with 600l, but you have been warned!.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 07:03:35 pm »
Hi windy, yes we use a 600 ltr IBC in our LDV Cub
The tank is fully secured in the back and we used 30 meters of 80mm drainage pipe as baffle its been the best tank we have ever had in a van UNLIKE so called proper tanks (wyvale is the usual choice) we get no slosh, roll or water movement at 3/4 or half full or 3/4 empty ( this is because the wyvale baffle is dfs a very poor design ) as for payload you take into account fuel the tank weight itself and driver + passengers

I'm so impressed with the IBC set-up we a going to remove the 1000 ltr set up (2 x 500 ltr tanks ) with a single 1000 IBC

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

windymiller

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:02:37 pm »
Hi, i have only just started with wfp been trad for 20 odd years.
I have a baffled flat 400 litre tank in back of van held with straps.
Just picked up a big job which will take me about 4 days to clean so was thinking a 600 litre tank may be better as i dont want to be running out of water and finishing early. I forgot about payload may need to have a re think. ::)roll

Richard60

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 09:43:35 pm »
how do you baffle the tank .( no jokes before bedtime please ) ;D

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:08:58 pm »
This stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111045923561?lpid=54&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=54&ff19=0

Just feed it into top of tank the pipe fills with water but also passes through because of perforations.  It's much more effective than a wyvale tank where water can pick up speed over or under the baffle or in each section of the tank this creates waves and water movement

The floating pipe constantly breaks up the water movement preventing to speed up and form waves and tidal movement

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 10:40:58 pm »
I don`t believe the Waydale tanks so called baffles are of any use. I believe they are more for the design of the tank to prevent the tank bulging in the middle, AS a baffle they are pretty useless. I have filled the tank with 2 liter coke bottles with the tops and bottoms cut off.I cut them so that the round bottom and tops maintain the integrity of the bottles. I used this idea in ocean going yachts 20 years ago when I used to sail cross ocean racers.