Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jim Waugh(Albright & Shiny)

spotting
« on: September 15, 2013, 09:29:57 am »
Ok here we go.
UPVC windows in good condition.
4th wash.
Technique. scrub frames first and rinse off well, Scrub glass and top seal. do it again. give top seal another rub.
Then rinse off the glass, keeping the water hitting just below the top seal..
TDS is 000ppm.

And I still get tiny great spotting… AAAArrrggghh

What am I doing wrong peeps?

andyM

Re: spotting
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 09:45:36 am »
It certainly sounds as if you are cleaning the window well enough.
Use a good flow rate so that window is getting well rinsed but be careful that the water is not bouncing off the window because of too much pressure or if your brush is too far away from the window when rinsing.
Are you being precise with where your water is going so that it is not getting sprayed into vents or onto lintel/brickwork above window?
Also is this every window that is spotting or just one particular window?
Sometimes a dodgy seal can cause spotting, usually in a vertical line down the glass.
One of the Plebs

tlwcs

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 09:53:16 am »
On the odd occasion I've had this, Ive put some ecover washing up liquid on the brush head and scrubbed all sections of the frame and glass together. Rinsed well and it has worked.
First cleans for me now (maybe only one a week) I clean every window using this method.
Tony

trippyboy

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:15:14 am »
You will never get rid of spotting, its part and parcel of wfp. New windows do not spot, older windows can, this is because the seal has perished over the years. 

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 10:18:32 am »
If you use a backpack or detergent these types of results are a possible due to the soap not been biodegradable enough or still in the brush. Did you douse your brush after the a soap clean. Backpacks not putting not enough on the glass.
Were is the spotting on the glass.

PoleKing

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 12:27:06 pm »
Could be that you're doing everything right but dust is hitting the water droplets before they evaporate.
Is it in a windy/dusty area?
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

dave0123

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 12:45:55 pm »
You will never get rid of spotting, its part and parcel of wfp. New windows do not spot, older windows can, this is because the seal has perished over the years.

I don't agree with that tbh. Spotting is very very rare if you  use your equipment properly, and i find older windows are actually easier to clean.
Dave.

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 01:11:23 pm »
Darren LAne I think you may have hit the nail on the head, Never thought of that. Im on the MEndips and we have limestone quarries throwing dust in the air 24/7 Makes a terrible mess of the cars so makes sense that the droplets would pick up crud..

Frankybadboy

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 01:42:20 pm »
Darren LAne I think you may have hit the nail on the head, Never thought of that. Im on the MEndips and we have limestone quarries throwing dust in the air 24/7 Makes a terrible mess of the cars so makes sense that the droplets would pick up crud..
you just crap,stick to your day job jim ;D ;D ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 01:56:33 pm »
Could be dirt on the very top of the frame on the openers. Are the spots in vertical runs, all over or at the bottom?

home6442

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 02:11:38 pm »
When cleaning degraded seals you need to clean and rinse then rub the brush along
the seal rubbing any water droplets off.
Then rinse again starting a few inches below the seal.
Don't have your water pressure too high as it will splash the seals again.
Any droplets left on these seals will drip down onto the glass and spot.
Hope this makes sense.

Griffus

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 02:15:17 pm »
Hi Jim, if all windows are spotting then try another TDS meter, just in case.

Have you dragged your finger down the frame? May be that they are dirtier than they look and any white residue on your finger would id this. Rubber seals could also be shot, though less likely.

Another possibility is trapped dirt in the top seal and / or vents. Loads of rinsing with the final stages avoiding the top of the frames, even the top seal, altogether.

If only a few windows are spotting  and all on the same side of the house then the earlier poster is probably right, dust hitting the window after cleaning whilst still wet. Only solution in this case is either clean on damper days or buff dry after cleaning, just do the lot with a scrimm once you're done. This shouldn't add too much time, though still a bit of a ball ache.

You could always just trad the lot.

supernova77

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 02:24:58 pm »
Ok here we go.
UPVC windows in good condition.
4th wash.
Technique. scrub frames first and rinse off well, Scrub glass and top seal. do it again. give top seal another rub.
Then rinse off the glass, keeping the water hitting just below the top seal..
TDS is 000ppm.

And I still get tiny great spotting… AAAArrrggghh

What am I doing wrong peeps?

Rinse the seal well to! Not from just below...

Andy

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 03:26:50 pm »
I have had a good look. Every water droplet on every window that didn't dry PDQ has left a V tiny grey spot.. I deffo think its the dust..  Im going to have to find a way of drying them off.

Thanks for the excellent replies.

tlwcs

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 04:41:37 pm »
Go trad.  ;D
(theres always one)

Sean Kelly

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 06:26:14 pm »

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 06:41:01 pm »
Lol

The 3 words Im thinking of end in
iss aking soles….  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

robbo333

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 07:48:37 pm »
Jim, I know this sounds like a silly idea, but why not take ten minutes to watch the window drying. Obviously pick the downstairs window that will dry the quickest. You'll get an idea if it's the water droplets, or seals leaking or whatever. If it's a good custy and worth good money then it could be ten minutes well spent. And it will answer your question.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 08:36:19 pm »
Good point well Made Robbo good idea.
This particular house was done late in the day and dried overnight.. Ill do it again monday morning  and do as you suggest watch it dry.. Im pretty sure its the quarry dust.. but as you say If I watch it dry. Ill be sure.

matthewprice

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 09:25:00 pm »
Hi I have had some houses that sound the same as you one is up a dusty side road ,I find that a brush with 4 x 2mm jets and a high flow rate and a slow rinse does a good job