Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

robertphil

Re: Do people drop you in the winter??
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2013, 03:53:48 pm »
Out of interest why are you happy to take work off a part time window cleaner ?

Or is it just because he is a firefighter?
if they are parttime windies they are not in the game properly is how i see it .  something else is propping them up usually whether its a wife with a great income ,a rich dad , benefits ,or a secondary job .  from my own experience they lack commitment ,especially in bad weather which is often why customers ditch them

So the part time firefighter that just posted is not committed does a crap job because he is part time ?

And really , how dare somebody run a business window cleaning if there wife works .....the cheek of it!

If someone is doing a bad job and you get there customers that's fair business wether they are part time or full time .
what i was getting at was that the code of ethics (poaching work or staff ) only applies to full time firms .  its the same in other industries

robert mitchell

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2013, 04:08:37 pm »
So what do you consider to be part time ?

20 hrs , 30 hrs ?

Or does it go on how much they earn ?

What if someone does it part time as there only income ?

If someone is doing a good job you wont  take there customers wether they are full or part time.

I have customers that have switched because there old full time window cleaner was nit doing a good job.

If he was doing a good job they wouldnt have changed.

You cant say have a code of ethics then discriminate based on the hours somebody works.

It makes no sense .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

robertphil

« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2013, 05:20:58 pm »
i believe it does make sense . heres an analogy for you , now who would you respect  the most ?

the miner who has done 40 yrs down the pit and its his last week and is just pushing a broom   , or the lad who is at the pit face hacking with an axe ,but its his first week ?

now  i too started off parttime window cleaning but  only because i didnt have a clue what i was doing+ i had no jobs , i felt i was playing at being a windie in my parttime phase , once i got the hang of it i gave it my all
  at the end of the day,we all have our opinions and its drifted off from the original post  as these threads do

robert mitchell

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2013, 05:28:42 pm »
I would respect both of them equally , they are both prepared to graft for their money.

Same as I respect anybody who is willing to do an honest days work , regardless of age , gender , race etc .

Paul H

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2013, 05:33:15 pm »
I know police officers with second jobs , and a nurse with her own business .

An nhs physio that does private customers on her days off .

What difference does it make being public sector?

I do the job im paid for to the best of my ability the same as anyone else public or private sector .

Cos they are awake and working on nightshifts .. Not doing cosy home visits a bit training then getting their head down for even 5 mins never mind a slack 5 hours ...

The army get paid 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days of year .., they take the rough with smooth and work less sometime but a lot more others .. I know I did Northern Ireland tours 6 months at a time with 5 days off ba k home ... The last 2 months we worked 12 hours on 12 hours off ... With no overtime payment in sight ..

Happy with all the fire service has to offer other than the wage ,,, but that's solved by having cushy shifts to go work a second fiddle job ...

Could. Always leave and try and seek better paid work elsewhere ..

andrewlefkas

« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2013, 05:39:27 pm »
Don't post on here much any more but as retired firefighter with 34years inner city service behind me and now a part time window cleaner I have really enjoyed reading this thread even though its not about original question!Some excellent posts from both sides and I can see why folk with only one job think it strange that a fireman might want another job .I had other jobs on and off in my time but I always appreciated so much that I had a steady wage to fall back on .We regularly attended 15 to twenty incidents through a night shift in inner city Leeds and I for one went home to bed before thinking about 2nd jobs. Through my career have been personally involved in many rescues and received two bravery awards ,not asked for but given and kind of embarrassing just for doing my job.
I have great respect for other window cleaners regularly stop for a chat  with the guys that I see around .Please accept that doing two jobs ain't easy and is most often to provide a better life for your family which is why we all work after all. Cushy it wasn't but regular pay it certainly was,loved my job and miss the crack .
 The obvious intellect of a lot of window cleaners on here has me in stitches on many occasions and Will continue to read and laugh along with you guys .
Keep it comming fellas ,apologies for even more thread drift !

robert mitchell

« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2013, 05:42:51 pm »
Yes they do , so they get paid to sleep more often than us .
Both my brothers are soldiers , im not cut out for it but I dont begrudge the perks they get, they have both done well being overseas tax free cars etc but they deserve it .

I never said I was unhappy with tbe wage , im not.

We dont sleep all night every night , we take the rough with the smooth as well.

Could you explain why a second job is a fiddle for a fireman but not for anyone else?

Or is your moronic post just designed to try and wind me up?

C o z y

« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2013, 06:12:38 pm »
Just out of interest, do firemen who clean windows show their helmets to pretty customers?  ;)
No still don't understand, I must be thick

markymark

« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2013, 06:15:24 pm »
Now IF I didn't know any better I could swear I can hear the sound of a troll or two...  ;D Or if not, is the wildly off thread muttering now become "all firebobbies sleep at work and have a doddle of a job"? Which I assume the arguement follows that it makes them lazy. Then surely having a second job is the antithesis of laziness. I couldnt do their job, nor could I be a squaddie, although having mates who have done both jobs during I've found during beery chats its apparant  they know the score and that both jobs have an element of being a sit-off at certain times. Just like the job of putting wet stuff on glass and taking it off again (or not if you're wfp) or cleaing soffits for nice wads of cash. Whether its part-time, full-time or whatever it is horses for courses. If a job is so easy and well paid we'd all be mugs not to sign up for it. I mean, if they sleep all night, play darts and snooker and save hunnies what have got their toes stuck in the bath tap I'll sign up for that. How hard can it be?  ;)

In answer to the long forgotten op, while you start up you've gotta take the p.i.t.a custies that mess around but the moment you find you don't need 'em, dump them. Don't even waste your time telling them why as it isn't worth the grief. Winter always gives way to spring and the chance to cherry pick better work from anyone who doesnt do a good enough job, or has no idea how to be polite and customer orientated. Cleaning aint rocket science, get it right and stay on the good side of custies and you wont go far wrong.
The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not.

Dominic Carnell

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2013, 06:19:02 pm »
What if a window cleaner wants a part time job as a fireman?

Sean Kelly

« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2013, 06:23:46 pm »

Then fair play to them, it's a good life

robert mitchell

« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2013, 06:30:37 pm »
Just out of interest, do firemen who clean windows show their helmets to pretty customers?  ;)

Only if they ask nicely  ;D

Sean Kelly

« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2013, 06:42:01 pm »

I like to find them hot and leave them wet,

Paul H

« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2013, 06:52:17 pm »

I like to find them hot and leave them wet,

Maybe it's that fireman who clean windows are helmets as the quote above suggests ...

AuRavelling79

« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2013, 07:32:28 pm »
Shovelling all that coal must be hard work.
It's a game of three halves!

LWC

« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2013, 07:40:34 pm »

Then fair play to them, it's a good life

I am, its not part time tho we give more hours than full timers  ;D

DaveG

« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2013, 08:44:33 pm »
Sean, I'm also in Poole.. What areas do you cover?

I might be able to pass the odd job on to you, if interested?
You can't polish a turd

Sean Kelly

« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2013, 10:17:21 pm »
Hi dave yea that would be great can you email me seank1989@googlemail.com

I cover Poole, Hamworthy, parkstone, Bournemouth

robert mitchell

« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2013, 10:25:44 pm »
I have always passed jobs on to vin in the past , i get a fair few enquiries from that side of southampton but to far for me to go .

have always just told them to ring perfect windows and bigged them up as he offered to help me when i started by letting me work a day with him for training.
i never took the offer in the end but was still a nice offer .

However im thinking after his earlier posts that he wouldn't have offered if he knew i was a firefighter.

wont be passing anymore his way .

Shame because i really respected him before this.

PoleKing

« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2013, 10:34:53 pm »
I have always passed jobs on to vin in the past , i get a fair few enquiries from that side of southampton but to far for me to go .

have always just told them to ring perfect windows and bigged them up as he offered to help me when i started by letting me work a day with him for training.
i never took the offer in the end but was still a nice offer .

However im thinking after his earlier posts that he wouldn't have offered if he knew i was a firefighter.

wont be passing anymore his way .

Shame because i really respected him before this.

Go for a beer together.
It's easy to get vitriolic over text.
And sometimes (though I doubt it in this thread) things get misconstrued online.
He did offer to help you to start with.
A f2f may clear your beef up.
Try & think positively, he may be a top bloke who you both could benefit from having a relationship with
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.