Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jettaway

Re: Do people drop you in the winter??
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2013, 10:51:00 am »
That's fair enough, I wasn't having a dig.

Can understand it is quite a tiring job

formb

« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2013, 10:54:03 am »
It makes a difference being public sector because people feel that their taxes pay your wages. This is not how I see it, I realise that you pay taxes, same as everybody else, but that is why it makes a difference.

You may well know nurses with businesses etc but you can't deny that no other public sector job would so easily accommodate, pretty much, a full time second job. It's a good number. Could I do it? No effing chance.

Would you still have a second job if they paid you 50k a year?

robert mitchell

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2013, 11:02:26 am »
The shifts are as they are because its the most efficient way of covering 24hrs every day of the year , they have looked into other shift systems over the years but none work as well.

I do like the shifts and the extra time I get with my family , thats part of why I joined .
I wouldn't call it a good number but yes I enjoy it and get a lot of satisfaction from helping people.

If it was 50 k a year I would not work part time as well .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

markymark

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2013, 11:55:29 am »
And so the arguement continues round in circles.... Long and short of it is some people want or need second or third jobs. Tax paid on both? Fine. Then get over it. Lewis Hamiltons dad had two jobs to help his son become a multi-millionaire tax exile in Switzerland, mates of mine in various jobs do two jobs to pay a mortgage or get their kids through Uni. Others work one job, come on here and say they earn £25+ an hour, (no doubt mainly cash) which leaves you to wonder if all the tax is paid that should be. At the end of the day its horses for courses, its better to keep your head down, work hard in as many of your job (s) as you have and give people a lift or advice where you can without sniping at others perceived cushy (or not) lives  ::)roll
The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not.

roundbuilder

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2013, 12:04:01 pm »
No firefighter should need to justify himself to a window cleaner about why they want to earn extra etc etc.
To me firefighters are hero's even though my mrs fancies them all  >:( i think they deserve a lot more than they get.
As said by cozy fair play to anyone wanting to earn more and do well.

As for customers dropping us in winter, i get around 50 each year say can i leave it till march which i happily do, no big issue to me as in winter i get rained off and snowed off meaning i cant do as much anyway.
Just find the positive in everything you do and your round will build beyond belief.
Best of luck.

robertphil

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2013, 12:32:34 pm »
i never knowingly take work from another window cleaner but  have happily off a fireman who was playing at being a p/t windie .
  back to the original post , when you are first starting off you have to take all sorts of sh/t such as folk not wanting you in winter or in the rain-by the time you are a couple of years in theres no need to take any nonsense -be sure to block their numbers on your phone so you dont slip up and let them back onto your round

robert mitchell

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2013, 01:07:29 pm »
Well said markymark , very sensible post .

Like I said the bit I dont get is why it only causes animosity when its a firefighter .

Especially as my second job / business means I dont need to claim a penny in benefits .

Mick most firemen are ugly , your missus prob just fancies the pretend ones on the calendars  ;D

I dont class myself as a hero , very few of us do.

Obviously you get the odd one that loves themselves too much but you get that in every job , including window cleaning.

robert mitchell

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2013, 01:09:34 pm »
Out of interest why are you happy to take work off a part time window cleaner ?

Or is it just because he is a firefighter?

Sean Kelly

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2013, 01:31:42 pm »
Or is it because he's a nob??

formb

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2013, 02:32:10 pm »
Your average window cleaner is trying to earn a crust.

Your average window cleaning fireman is trying to earn gravy.

Jus'sayin'

LWC

« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2013, 02:40:18 pm »
I havent read all the posts, cant believe some of the replies.

Im a retained fireman...go on a weeks breathing appartus course and tell us we have it easy...in fact i give you 2 days.

We dont just jump on the engine and pull the hoses out believe it or not...nevermind, you all seem to know our job inside out.

Getting into the service certainly isnt a walk in the park...and it isnt for everyone. Took me 3 years to get anywhere. Im so proud of what we do and i couldnt imagine not doing it. Get up 3 - 4 times in the middle of the night, leave family for a whole day, run out during dinner. Its hard on us and our families but thats obviously my choice isnt it.

Just cant believe the lack of respect you guys have for fireman. I believe jealously comes into play on this sometimes.

If we have it so easy...and earn easy money...why dont you do it?

robert mitchell

« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2013, 02:41:51 pm »
There are no average window  cleaners on here, they all earn £500 a day ! ;D

Its all relative , one mans crust is another mans gravy .

formb

« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2013, 02:43:51 pm »
Not for one second do I think firemen have it easy, quite the opposite. Sounds horrendous, not for me 1 bit thank you very much.

robert mitchell

« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2013, 02:47:26 pm »
I heard from a bloke in the pub that all window cleaners are on the dole and working cash only to fund there alcohol problem so that must be true.

robertphil

« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2013, 02:50:01 pm »

if they are parttime windies they are not in the game properly is how i see it .  something else is propping them up usually whether its a wife with a great income ,a rich dad , benefits ,or a secondary job .  from my own experience they lack commitment ,especially in bad weather which is often why customers ditch them

robert mitchell

« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2013, 02:50:49 pm »
It amazes me that people get slagged off for daring to work hard to provide a better life for there family.

LWC

« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2013, 02:52:27 pm »
It amazes me that people get slagged off for daring to work hard to provide a better life for there family.

Jealously.

robert mitchell

« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2013, 03:01:15 pm »

if they are parttime windies they are not in the game properly is how i see it .  something else is propping them up usually whether its a wife with a great income ,a rich dad , benefits ,or a secondary job .  from my own experience they lack commitment ,especially in bad weather which is often why customers ditch them

So the part time firefighter that just posted is not committed does a crap job because he is part time ?

And really , how dare somebody run a business window cleaning if there wife works .....the cheek of it!

If someone is doing a bad job and you get there customers that's fair business wether they are part time or full time .

robert mitchell

« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2013, 03:04:10 pm »
I dont get the jealousy ,they could have applied to join up like I did ,they chose not to.

LWC

« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2013, 03:14:42 pm »
I dont get the jealousy ,they could have applied to join up like I did ,they chose not to.

Bro they not cut out to sleep in station and pull the hose of the big red trucks