Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dennis

Wanna Laugh?
« on: March 06, 2006, 04:15:40 pm »
I don't know if any of you have done this but I feel such a tool.  :-[

I was supposed to be working in a village this morning in the customer's new house but could not find the property on Church Road, so rang the customer who had an answerphone at the old house but no mobile. (They are moving house but not living there yet). Waited an hour no contact, so came home and brought this afternoon's small job forward.

Yes you guessed, I was in the wrong village! They sound very similar on the phone but are spelt and pronounced totally different! Anyway she has no phone in the new house and could not ring me to find out where I am and I could not ring her to check the address.

I have rejigged my work to do it tomorrow morning but as I said I feel such a tool?  ::)

ps I forgot to say it was 30 bloody miles away.  ::)

Karl Wildey

Re: Wanna Laugh?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 04:45:47 pm »
Went to a job in Loddon a few years back, and could not find the place, rang client and it was in Ludham. Add a Norfok accent and they sound the same.

Dennis

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 05:08:56 pm »
Since you are local Karl, mine was Reepham (pronounced Reefam for non-locals) and Deopham (pronounced Deefam)  :-[

gwrightson

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 05:28:27 pm »
Just goes to show you should survey first ;D  ;D  ;D
 Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Dennis

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 05:39:42 pm »
Just goes to show you should survey first ;D  ;D  ;D
 Geoff

I would locally,  but as it's the first time it's happened in 16 years, I'll take the chance.  ;D

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 07:27:36 pm »
We all do it sometimes, I have arrived at the wrong house on more than one occassion, but  I will never mix up Meentullynagarn with Ballybuinabber .

Kev Loomes

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 09:21:38 pm »
We always ask for the full postcode just to ensure that we NEVER have this problem :P

Dennis

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 09:35:16 pm »
So do I to put in the sat-nav but she didn't know it as she doesn't live there yet.  ::)  ;D
So I looked up the postcode of the road of the village I thought I was going to in the local Postal Address Book!  ;D and of course it was a house name no number  ;D
This is one of those stories where Sod and Murphy gang up to bollox up your day.  ;D

Karl Wildey

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 10:01:16 pm »
Normal of Norfolk.

stu_thomson

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 10:43:31 pm »
You say Loddon Karl, Good job you didnt end up in London ;D mind you us norfolk folk dont travel too well eh :-\
I get scared if I see signs for Suffolk ::)

stu
People say that money is not the key to happiness, but I always figured if you have enough money, you can have a key made!

Kev Loomes

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 11:03:06 pm »
If they dont give you the postcode go to here: http://www.satorisoftware.com/UK/addresscheck/AddressCheck.asp and put in as much info as poss and it will give you the postcode.Then put this in the sat nav.

If its a new place and it isnt listed on the sat nav yet, then just put the postcode in multimap: http://www.multimap.com and it will tell you exactly where to go, you can then enter the nearest road on yer sat nav, when you get near it just look at the map!  :D

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 01:14:03 am »
Happened to me completley wrong address .

Tried to work it by likley looking houses.  Clean before moving in

Found right house but Lady drove off so I thought wrong house

Searched vllage found postman well must be the one I thought it was as the owner had just moved out.

Knocked on door blokeanswers right house wife gone shopping left him in charge

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 03:53:55 pm »
Within 5 minutes from me there are four "Station Road's"

Only one still has a station..........

mark_roberts

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 04:08:23 pm »
Once I went to clean a rented house for a land lord and was told the clients where moving in and where at the property all day.

So I arrived and seen them carrying in boxes and introduced myself went into the house and cleaned the suite.

Got a call next day to ask why I had not cleaned the suite.

Long story short i cleaned the wrong house.  It should have been 4 doors up the street.  Unfortunatley the tenants in the first house didnt say anything as its wasent their house and they wernt to know.

Lesson - always look for a house number.

Mark

Robert Watson

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 05:22:12 pm »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D   Thats a beauty Mark, sounds like the sort of thing I`d do.
Don`t suppose you got paid anything?
The Kitchen Door Centre

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 06:31:10 pm »
I cleaned some rugs for a Risca customer before 2004, and a few months later she phones up to tell me hers sons going away on holiday with his children, and as a surprise would i clean his carpet.

No problem, the job was arranged, and if i phoned her at 8.45am she would drive down from her house to let me in. In Risca, i found the correct street, and drove down there until i saw the house. I phoned the women to let her know, then unloaded my equipment from my car, down the path, then down the steps to the house. I am busting for a leak, and luckily around the side of the house theres a toilet, so i use it.

30 odd minutes have gone, and no customer, so i walk up the garden path and still no sign. Looking across the road at the street sign, i notice it,s different, so i leave my stuff in the garden, jump in my car then drive back up the road to check. What i did not realise is that after the first 20 or so houses, the street alters it's name, as a pedestrian i stopped pointed out to me.

I drive back to check my stuffs okay when the customer phones up to say where am i, and that shes been waiting 25 minutes. When i get back to the house, theres a frail old lady whos 90 if shes a day, looking puzzled and bewildered at this strange looking things on her pathway. I quickly loaded up and had it away on my toes after an apology.

I got to my job 45 minutes late.

Dave