This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

[GQC] Tim

Time for new boots, suggestions.
« on: September 13, 2013, 01:53:03 pm »
In need of some new boots as Brasher Supalight II GTX boots have been great, but have destroyed the soles. Started to get a bit damp around the toes as well now. Amazing fitment, and as light as a pair of trainers.

Need some recommendations. I want them to be as light as possible (Supalites are 1160g per pair (for size 9). Needs to be Gore-tex, and full grain leather. Sole must be more wear resistant.

andyM

Re: Time for new boots, suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:55:27 pm »
Dunno about the weight of them, but I've just ordered a pair of Gore-Tex Cold Weather Army Boots with vibram soles.
About £70 including delivery.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-EXTREME-COLD-WEATHER-GORETEX-BOOTS-EXCELLENT-QUALITY-NEW-/251257107667?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item3a801734d3
One of the Plebs

Sean Dyer

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 03:04:35 pm »
merrell intercept

all ive wore for work for 3 years , seem to go through about a pair a year , and i do a bit of ladder work still
They are good in wet unless you get caught in a real soaking , or walk through water :)
Not cheap but i like them as they are like wearing a trainer

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 06:26:41 pm »
Dunno about the weight of them, but I've just ordered a pair of Gore-Tex Cold Weather Army Boots with vibram soles.
About £70 including delivery.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-EXTREME-COLD-WEATHER-GORETEX-BOOTS-EXCELLENT-QUALITY-NEW-/251257107667?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item3a801734d3

I've seen these recommended time and again. But they look like they'd weigh a ton, and must be quite hot in anything but cold weather. I'll send them a message anyway, see how much they weigh.

merrell intercept

all ive wore for work for 3 years , seem to go through about a pair a year , and i do a bit of ladder work still
They are good in wet unless you get caught in a real soaking , or walk through water :)
Not cheap but i like them as they are like wearing a trainer

100% water proof is extremely important to me. When new I could stand in a stream with no problems.  :)

Simon Mess

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 06:39:27 pm »
Not sure why lightweight is a major factor for you?. I bought a pair of gore tex lined boots from britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk, grade 1 used, £30. Had them for about 18 months now, got through last winter just fine. Not very light, and a bit warm in the summer, but comfy, hard wearing and cheap, so ticks all my boxes!. Actually most of my 'uniform' came from the same place. Navy work trousers with RAF (blue grey) jumpers, all were cheap as chips. The trousers, like the boots, are a bit heavy, but obviously hardwearing and the jumpers are extremely cosy, so much so, it needs to be properly cold to work in them (otherwise, t-shirt and bodywarmer)

andyM

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 06:43:09 pm »
The boots I ordered yesterday arrived this afternoon after my posting.  :D
I don't know how much they weigh but to me they don't feel too heavy, certainly no heavier than my other CATERPILLAR boots.
I ordered them specifically for the winter because they are waterproof and rated for cold weather use.
I probably won't wear them all year round.
One point to note is that these boots are higher above the ankle than standard boots so they do feel different to normal boots when walking/driving etc.
But apart from that they should be good for keeping feet warm and dry during a bad winter, and they have a good sturdy sole so should provide a firm footing in snow/ice......hopefully.    
One of the Plebs

PoleKing

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 06:45:49 pm »
In need of some new boots as Brasher Supalight II GTX boots have been great, but have destroyed the soles. Started to get a bit damp around the toes as well now. Amazing fitment, and as light as a pair of trainers.

Need some recommendations. I want them to be as light as possible (Supalites are 1160g per pair (for size 9). Needs to be Gore-tex, and full grain leather. Sole must be more wear resistant.

How much we're these Tim?
Other than the soles wearing through, pretty good?

Also, I had a pair of 'waterproof' Caterpillar boots a couple of years ago.
They didn't last the week before they were soaked through.
Keep us posted on your thoughts on them?
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 06:52:54 pm »
bergaus explorer goretex boots.very light,keep your feet dry and very comfortable from day one.no sweating in the summer months.i wear these all year round.great boots. ;D
price higher/work harder!

Sean Kelly

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 07:38:51 pm »
Get a pair of lowa boots, my mate gave me a pair when he got back from afghan!! Ill Defo be buying a pair when they wear out

PoleKing

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 07:46:15 pm »
Get a pair of lowa boots, my mate gave me a pair when he got back from afghan!! Ill Defo be buying a pair when they wear out

Surely 'waterproof' isn't top of the list in Afgan though is it?
Are they any good for here in sunny blighty?

Sean Kelly

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 08:27:29 pm »
My feet stay dry in them all day!! Yea Defo have a look at them bud

ben M

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 08:31:18 pm »
bergaus explorer goretex boots.very light,keep your feet dry and very comfortable from day one.no sweating in the summer months.i wear these all year round.great boots. ;D
+1

roundbuilder

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 08:58:52 pm »
I just wear trainers throughout the year.
Never thought about work boots.

Sean Kelly

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 09:22:39 pm »
I started to wear trainers but I have size 13 feet and found they didn't give me much grip, then I used an old pair of my fire service boots and they Were not practical to drive in, so now I use lowa boots and havnt looked back or slipped off

PoleKing

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 09:28:32 pm »
I just wear trainers throughout the year.
Never thought about work boots.

I keep my boots in the van, drive to work in trainers, change into my boots to WFP then back into trainers to drive home or if I'm doing internals for any length if time.
If its just 10 minutes inside I use plastic overshoes. Too much faff changing into trainers just for 10 minutes.
It does feel nice at the end if the day to put trainers back on.
I'm usually driving at least half an hour home though.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 09:51:00 pm »
Not sure why lightweight is a major factor for you?. I bought a pair of gore tex lined boots from britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk, grade 1 used, £30. Had them for about 18 months now, got through last winter just fine. Not very light, and a bit warm in the summer, but comfy, hard wearing and cheap, so ticks all my boxes!. Actually most of my 'uniform' came from the same place. Navy work trousers with RAF (blue grey) jumpers, all were cheap as chips. The trousers, like the boots, are a bit heavy, but obviously hardwearing and the jumpers are extremely cosy, so much so, it needs to be properly cold to work in them (otherwise, t-shirt and bodywarmer)

Once you've used lightweight boots everything else just seems like you are wearing tanks. Just IMO of course.

Brilliant boots, think I paid £115 for them. Stayed waterproof for about a year and 10 months, and even now it has to be really very bad for it to get a bit damp on the left foot toes. The sole looks a bit worn there up the side, so that might be the problem. Part of the problem is I haven't greased them in ages. Like any leather boot maintenance is key. Perfect fit from day one, super comfortable, and like mentioned before completely water proof due to the gore-tex lining. Also very very light, so you feel more nimble and less fatiqued at the end of the day.

Thanks a lot guys, will have a look online at some of the names mentioned.

mark dew

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 10:50:07 pm »

Once you've used lightweight boots everything else just seems like you are wearing tanks. Just IMO of course.

Brilliant boots, think I paid £115 for them. Stayed waterproof for about a year and 10 months, and even now it has to be really very bad for it to get a bit damp on the left foot toes. The sole looks a bit worn there up the side, so that might be the problem. Part of the problem is I haven't greased them in ages. Like any leather boot maintenance is key. Perfect fit from day one, super comfortable, and like mentioned before completely water proof due to the gore-tex lining. Also very very light, so you feel more nimble and less fatiqued at the end of the day.

Thanks a lot guys, will have a look online at some of the names mentioned.

You're right about lightweight. It's like going from a super lite pole to an aluminium pole.
I got 7 years of dry feet from a pair of berghaus goretex walking boots, before wearing out the soles. Bought them in 2001. But I wouldn't buy them again. Too heavy and they squeaked when I walked. I didn't like the soles either. They didn't grip well on wet surfaces. Paid £100 for them.

Going through the soles in under 2 years is some going. Is that through normal wear and tear or have you really worked them?

I was having a look at the gtx boots last year was thinking of buying cos they looked like they ticked all the boxes. But were so light I wondered if the stitching would hold if hammered.

I bought some rockport goretex hiking boots in 98 for £125. They were unbelievably good. Feet temperature stayed the same in 30 degree summers to minus 15 winters. Very light, Walking in them for 24 hours solid and feet didn't smell at the end. I've looked at rockport shops and haven't found the same ones.
I hammered them daily though and the soles wore out in 3 years.

tompoole

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 11:17:56 pm »
Normally wear goretex military pro boots but have started
To use rigger boots, easy to get on and off :-)

gary999

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 01:13:16 am »
rockhoppers...100% waterproof all terrain boot designed
for clambering round the coastline whilst fishing only £50

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 06:38:36 am »
Used various boots over the last 16 years and I have found Magnum Stealth Force 6.0 with composite toe & cap to be the best.