Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ste M

Re: cancel cancel
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 11:14:35 pm »
where you off to Daz?

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 11:22:47 pm »
off to bulgaria ste!4 star hotel all inclusive with  girlfriend and two 14 year old girls!the girls have got their own big family suite with flatscreen tv,en suite and balcony just like us!

then when i get back ive another 4 star hotel booked in lancaster for 2 nights for my mates wedding! :D :D
price higher/work harder!

Ste M

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 11:24:30 pm »
Enjoy mate, good to get away an destress a bit, nice time of year to do it as well. im off to Lapland in 12 weeks with the wife and our two boys, cant wait

wfp master

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 07:59:44 am »
i dont understand you guys that are well established with  pretty full on workloads? ???

dont you get a steady drip of new work through word of mouth and recommendation?

ive hardly canvassed or leafleted for years!!im always picking up a steady stream of new jobs without even trying and there are over 20 other window cleaners working my areas.
+1 never canvassed or door knocked. I get steady flow of new customers a month from recoms & word of mouth & people seeing me working.I can pick the ones I want to clean & leave the ones I dont want. Or dump a old tricky customer for a easy clean new customer.keeps things balanced. ;)

windiewasher

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 08:26:00 am »
I get a steady flow of new customers on a weekly basis but i have taken someone on so pushing for a lot more work and aim for a second van on the road for next year.
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

dazmond

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 08:55:12 am »
good luck windiewasher im sure you will be successful!just keep banging those doors! ;) :)
price higher/work harder!

Perfect Windows

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 10:06:21 am »
With leaflets I generally get 0.5% to 1%.  Lately it's been more like 1%.  However, it's fair to say that the amount that I drop is too small a sample to form proper conclusions.  If I dropped them in the quantities that Lee Pryor does, I imagine I would have similar results (about 0.33%).  I probably drop around 200 - 500 a week while working or on my way home from work.  I don't have the resources to employ others to do it.

This is the core of the problem with people quoting hit rates. If you drop 3,000 leaflets you might expect 12-15 calls.  In our experience, only about a quarter of those will call within the week of the leaflet going out, so it might be three calls you were expecting in week one.  That's a minute, completely theoretical number and will vary wildly.  So you might get six calls, you might get none.  Then you'll be on here posting about it.

We've door-dropped a third of a million leaflets in total since we started (I totalled it recently when we were asked by someone - I'd not looked at the total before) and our hit rate has been pretty constant over that lot at around one in 225.  That's been week-in, week-out from March to September every year.  It might sound inefficient but it's by far the cheapest way of gaining customers that we've found.  (I don't consider time spent canvassing to be free - it's time I'd rather spend with my son playing footy or helping my daughter with her homework or with the wife, etc, etc... so I value it pretty highly; other people have different opinions - fair enough, but it's not free)

Vin

roundbuilder

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 10:26:03 am »
With leaflets I generally get 0.5% to 1%.  Lately it's been more like 1%.  However, it's fair to say that the amount that I drop is too small a sample to form proper conclusions.  If I dropped them in the quantities that Lee Pryor does, I imagine I would have similar results (about 0.33%).  I probably drop around 200 - 500 a week while working or on my way home from work.  I don't have the resources to employ others to do it.

This is the core of the problem with people quoting hit rates. If you drop 3,000 leaflets you might expect 12-15 calls.  In our experience, only about a quarter of those will call within the week of the leaflet going out, so it might be three calls you were expecting in week one.  That's a minute, completely theoretical number and will vary wildly.  So you might get six calls, you might get none.  Then you'll be on here posting about it.

We've door-dropped a third of a million leaflets in total since we started (I totalled it recently when we were asked by someone - I'd not looked at the total before) and our hit rate has been pretty constant over that lot at around one in 225.  That's been week-in, week-out from March to September every year.  It might sound inefficient but it's by far the cheapest way of gaining customers that we've found.  (I don't consider time spent canvassing to be free - it's time I'd rather spend with my son playing footy or helping my daughter with her homework or with the wife, etc, etc... so I value it pretty highly; other people have different opinions - fair enough, but it's not free)

Vin
time spent canvassing to be free - it's time I'd rather spend with my son playing footy or helping my daughter with her homework or with the wife, etc, etc... so I value it pretty highly; other people have different opinions - fair enough, but it's not free)

Vin

Thats a stupid way to look at it though As weather cleaning windows/collecting/leafletting/canvassing it all comes under work does it not?
Maybe it costs time instead of money with canvassing but in all fairness how will 2/4 extra hours a week knocking on doors effect your schedules with family/kids etc??? I take my daughter to school every morning And pick her up every afternoon whilst getting all my days work done as its all fully compact from door knocking. if work was scattared from leaflets id be home much later and be more knackared so the few hours a week i canvass long term is better than spread out leafleted custom that you would have to spend money on getting them printed and then also delivered.
for a compact round canvass.
For a spread out round leaflet.
Or both methods for the best of both worlds.
For better than all 3 simply target sold boards.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 10:55:24 am »
As it's stupid, I'd better just stop responding then.

Vin

8weekly

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 02:55:55 pm »
Although Vin is obviously stupid, I take exactly the same view. I have no idea how many leaflets I have had delivered, but that's because I'm not sad like Vin, but I pay someone to work 5-10 hours a week for me delivering leaflets. Every week I pick up 3 or more customers from this. I am nearly at the point where I am ready to take on an assistant and will at that point step up the hours spent leafleting.

I used to leaflet myself, but I no longer have the time so I pay someone to do it. Like Vin, I would rather spend my spare time with my family/friends.

paul ette

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 03:51:39 pm »
my leaflets say "dirty windows? need a window cleaner?" brief description on services contact details and a pic of a squeege and water fed pole on a blue water background, a6 size, is this enough? would a5 be better?

paul

8weekly

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2013, 04:33:44 pm »
my leaflets say "dirty windows? need a window cleaner?" brief description on services contact details and a pic of a squeege and water fed pole on a blue water background, a6 size, is this enough? would a5 be better?

paul
Mine just say window cleaning service then alist of services. I don't think it matters to be honest. My early home printed ones did no worse than my designed ones.

robbo333

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 05:52:59 pm »
Paul, give us your email and i'll send you a copy of mine. It's not brilliant but I get a pretty good response from it. It may help or not.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

home6442

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2013, 08:10:36 pm »
Paul for whatever reason in some areas leaflets don't work I dropped 10k when starting out
and got nothing.
I was left with three choices either keep on leafleting, canvass or quit.
Like a lot of people I hate door knocking and would do anything else before doing it but
the fact is its now your only option.
I agree with Mick Kent its the best way to get a compact round quickly.
I was that nervous when canvassing that I looked and sounded like a gibbering fool. :-[
I think a lot of people give me the work as they felt sorry for me.
Go for it.

PoleKing

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2013, 08:13:04 pm »
Paul for whatever reason in some areas leaflets don't work I dropped 10k when starting out
and got nothing.
I was left with three choices either keep on leafleting, canvass or quit.
Like a lot of people I hate door knocking and would do anything else before doing it but
the fact is its now your only option.
I agree with Mick Kent its the best way to get a compact round quickly.
I was that nervous when canvassing that I looked and sounded like a gibbering fool. :-[
I think a lot of people give me the work as they felt sorry for me.
Go for it.

End of the day, it doesn't matter why they took you on. It just matters that they did take you on.
Perhaps some reading your thread will be emboldened to go for it.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.