Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Mess

Mineral deposit remover
« on: September 11, 2013, 04:46:48 pm »
Hi, does anyone have experience of using mineral deposit remover?. I bought some ages ago, but was a bit wary of using it, especially on newer houses which may have one of those insulating films on the glass. The instructions on the bottle says to use it with fine wire wool, this did nothing to ease my reluctance to use it!. But I am noticing mineral deposit on quite a lot of customers houses, so was thinking that maybe I should stop being a wuss and get on with it!. Any comments, hints, and brand recommendations gratefully received!.

PAUL ERITH

Re: Mineral deposit remover
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:55:29 pm »
Unger Rub out from WCW  ;)

Paul

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 05:52:05 pm »
Don`t use anything on a film on the glass they are just to soft and will scratch. The easiest way to clean is a product call Dr muscle at many super market, its in the isle were the T V marketing is found.It is an abrasive so will damage any film.There is fantastic stuff in the U S I have been trying to import, but the H and S in the U K have  problem with it.We are to dumb to use it they say.

Simon Mess

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 06:09:39 pm »
Hi Smithie, this may seem a stupid question, but how can I tell whether or not the window I question has one of these films on it?.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 06:57:13 pm »
Do a test in a bottom corner or try to scratch in a corner with a blade.These films are mostly on commercial buildings and reflect light like a mirror also the owner would know if they have paid for the process. But don`t do anything if the customer has not requested the markes removed.They are normally applied s a sunscreen or filter. Some do have them on conservatory roof panels  as far as I know they are impregnated into the glass at manufacturing level.

Simon Mess

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:35:31 pm »
Thanks for that Smithie :)

mike1986

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:45:34 pm »
Don`t use anything on a film on the glass they are just to soft and will scratch. The easiest way to clean is a product call Dr muscle at many super market, its in the isle were the T V marketing is found.It is an abrasive so will damage any film.There is fantastic stuff in the U S I have been trying to import, but the H and S in the U K have  problem with it.We are to dumb to use it they say.

Just to clarify I think smithie means doktor power...just i case you struggled to find it. They sell it in asda for about a fiver.
I also use this and find it to be excellent!

Simon Mess

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 06:36:16 pm »
Cheers Mike, will have a look for that :)

Mike @ Facelift

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 10:35:28 am »
Hi Guys,

The popular MDR (mineral deposit remover) is now an end of line product (has been for a few months)

There are a couple of alternatives now available - as mentioned, Unger Rub out or Titan A1 Hardwater Stain Remover.

Always best to use a solution with poses the least risk to surfaces and/or people coming into contact with those surfaces afterwards.... in other words check the MSDS sheets before deciding.... You will be surprised what some chemicals contain, particularly those off the shelf of supermarkets and similar.

Hope this helps (and does not count as tasteless product promotion  ;) )
Thanks

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 11:18:24 am »
Mike its strange I was first to Bring Doc power to this foru but get confused with the name.. My memory fails me at time, sorry chaps. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 11:45:19 pm »
Hi Simon, we supply a natural cleaning and polishing paste which is excellent for removing mineral deposits from glass surfaces, it comes in a 400grm tub just use a damp terry microfiber cloth rub it across the paste in the tub and proceed to scrub the mineral deposits to remove them safely, we have solved many problems for leisure centre managers who have constant problems with mineral deposits on their glass panels and stainless steel frames around swimming pools as the paste works safely on both surfaces, I will be happy to send you a sample kit with full instructions on how to remove mineral deposits safely from any glass surface and you might post your results. if this is of interest just send me an email with your details.

rosskesava

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 12:47:02 am »
Personally, I have yet to use a mineral deposit remover that actually does the job.

Many companies claim theirs does the job but having tried almost everyone on the market.....

Tadgh O Shea (what a great name) - what's the name of what you sell?
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 01:28:05 am »
Yes I know where you are coming from, we spent four years looking for a product that would remove mineral deposits safely, eventually we found a chemist in Sweden who produces a natural cleaning and polishing paste that's safe and effective for this purpose plus other problems such as removing black ingrained soils from white UPVC window frames we sell it under our brand  Jsk natural cleaning and polishing paste there are so many other uses for this product but it is a game changer when it comes to removing mineral deposits.

Spruce

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 07:58:28 am »
Yes I know where you are coming from, we spent four years looking for a product that would remove mineral deposits safely, eventually we found a chemist in Sweden who produces a natural cleaning and polishing paste that's safe and effective for this purpose plus other problems such as removing black ingrained soils from white UPVC window frames we sell it under our brand  Jsk natural cleaning and polishing paste there are so many other uses for this product but it is a game changer when it comes to removing mineral deposits.

Hi Tadgh,

Does your email work as your website is under construction?

Thanks
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Dave Willis

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 08:30:48 am »
Trouble I've found is that many 'safe' products are crap. ie. oil flow (hopeless) and off the shelf sticker remover from B&Q. I tried to find surgical spirit for sticker removal but that seems to be dissapearing.
I've used Kilrock on glass as an effective limescale remover but it's pretty unpleasant stuff. Viakal works pretty well on mild deposits too. I've seen guys using Harpic on glass but I would imagine that stuff would be bordering on dangerous.

charlie2

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 09:05:53 am »
try  CRYSTAL CLEAR - 550 good stuff never had a problem with it. you can go on you tube and see it working.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 04:46:11 pm »

Hi Tadgh,

Does your email work as your website is under construction?

Thanks
Yes our email is working fine.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 04:53:26 pm »
Trouble I've found is that many 'safe' products are crap. ie. oil flow (hopeless) and off the shelf sticker remover from B&Q. I tried to find surgical spirit for sticker removal but that seems to be dissapearing.
I've used Kilrock on glass as an effective limescale remover but it's pretty unpleasant stuff. Viakal works pretty well on mild deposits too. I've seen guys using Harpic on glass but I would imagine that stuff would be bordering on dangerous.
Hi Dave, i suppose that is where we differ i think most traditional harsh cleaning chemicals are crap as some of them cause detrimental damage to clients surfaces from continuous use, hence the reason we promote safe and effective cleaning solutions.

trevor perry

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 07:42:10 pm »
try  CRYSTAL CLEAR - 550 good stuff never had a problem with it. you can go on you tube and see it working.
+1
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

rosskesava

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 08:26:45 pm »

I'd forgotten about that stuff.

I used that quite successfully once on windows that had no drip line (or what ever it's called) above the windows and years of rain had run down the walls and straight over the glass.

Only problem is it's very expensive if you have a lot of glass to do.

Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.