Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lisa123

washing cloths
« on: March 04, 2006, 10:50:36 am »
Just been doing some really grotty spring cleaning.
would it be work washing the cloths and dusters in the machine with w.powder to get them all clean again to reuse?
Does it have to be hot wash, or will a quick was be ok?
I usually just soak in the sink with a bit of bleach and rinse after a few hours. But there is a lot to do.
Thanks

steve massey

Re: washing cloths
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 10:53:37 am »
We wash our cloths on 40 wash and them put them in dryer to stop them going hard when they dry

dustdees

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 10:55:21 am »
Hi Lisa,

I washing my cloths on a prewash then 95 afer every
clean, no matter how dirty they are.You can but a bit of bleach in with the wash as well if you like.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 10:55:31 am »
...would it be work washing the cloths and dusters in the machine with w.powder to get them all clean again to reuse...

That is what we do all the time, at 60 degrees.  We also wash new yellow duster in a washing machine before using them, as they absorb better after that.
Kind regards,
Arthur

lisa123

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 11:03:54 am »
thanks everyone
you know what i'll be doing all day now :) washing, drying and sorting out kit bags  ;D

I'm doing a quick spring clean for mum first though, thats if i ever get dressed today. (sadly live at mums at the mo) :)

CMS

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 11:32:29 am »
We do the same but don't put anything in with the dusters. The colour will run like hell!..............lolol

lisa123

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 11:46:05 am »
 ;D thanks for the tip Karl
I'll do the dusters in the sink i think lol

lynngc

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 11:55:29 am »
i wash the cloths @ 60 degrees & tumble.

i do put dettol through the wash aswell.

lynn ;D ;D
lynn @ gower cleaning services, swansea.

*Chris Browne

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 12:02:41 pm »
i,m lazy ::), i just go to wilkinsons and buy 10 for a quid, then throw them away.

chris ;)

lisa123

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 01:22:08 pm »
i would just keep buying them and throwing them, but i'm trying to save some dosh  ;D

Fox

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 01:25:18 pm »
I must be getting away with murder - I tell the cleaners it is their responsibility to make sure the cloths and dusters are washed!  They all do it without complaint!  :)

bevldavies

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 02:44:07 pm »
I wash all my cloths and dusters together at 60.   The colour does run from the new dusters, but hey, I don't care if I am cleaning with an odd coloured cloth!

blacksheep

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 06:07:33 pm »
I do the same as Fox and tell them if they lose them they replace them, they tend to look after their cloths and wont share them in case the other cleaner misplaces their dusters also if you have a equipement champion, who is responable for making sure all buckets and mops cleaned at end of shift, giving them responablety saves you money in equipement and chemicals

lisa123

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 06:30:39 pm »
i cant wait til i have regular staff to ask to clean their own equipment :)

Me and the other Lisa, are doing all the cleaning at the mo, so sadly we have the prep to do at the begining and end of week ourselves :(

MrsMeredith

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 09:31:19 am »
I always wash all my cleaning dusters/cloths as it is practised at the hotel i work at part time on weekends. They are washed in a very hot wash to kill any bugs and tumble dried.

Tracey.

Lesley J

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 07:18:37 pm »
my cleaners wash all their own cloths, mops etc, although I do take their vac uum cleaners in on a regular basis to have them checked over, and I go balistic if I find a Henry being used without a bag, doesnt happen very often now.
Lesley Tyrrell

Derek_Walker

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 08:14:14 pm »
I only use microfibre cloths now, so do not have any yellow dusting cloths.
I put these on a 95c wash and then tumble dry. I do use normal cloths for the brasso as it tends to stain the microfibre.

Derek

lisa123

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 09:23:24 pm »
Should it be a very hot wash then? some of you do 60 and others 95, does a 95 damage the cloths? I did notice that some say up to 50 degree wash on the label.
I want to kill germs etc, but would a 50 degree was do that?
I remember in basic food hygiene class that washing up water should be 80 degrees or something to kill the bugs.
I'm a bit confused now lol  :)

Tim Downer

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 02:50:11 pm »
Hi Lisa,

We use mainly Microfibre cloths, which we (Me......er......the wife does  ::) ) wash at 60 degrees with just a touch of washing powder......however, if they are really grubby, we wash them at 90 as per the label.
Other cloths we get in bulk, and throw them away afterwards.
Scrims are washed in the machine too at either of the wash cycles above.

Regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

Prestige1

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 09:47:10 pm »
We wash Kitchen cloths (red trim) at 90 degrees or above as you need to wash above 80 to kill all known germs, salmonella will survive up to 80. Bathroom cloths (blue) wash at 40 or above. Toilets are always cleaned with bleach spray and kitchen roll this is then flushed or binned. Mops (blue and red) washed at above 80. Regards Phil
Who Dares Wins