Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dan Williams

Leaky Wand?
« on: March 02, 2006, 02:02:40 pm »
I have a dual spray wand from Alltec and as you already know all wands leak a bit when you stop rinsing but mine is getting worse and worse leaking more.  I know it is probably the valve but can anyone give me advice on how to solve the problem with out taking it back to Alltec.

Cheers

Bruce

Spot On cleaning

Re: Leaky Wand?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 02:13:28 pm »
 I have always had this problem. If you take the valve apart and remove the plunger, on its shaft you will see an O ring. The cheapest way is to find a supplier of these in your phone book (Industrial seals, valves etc) and buy a stack of these for pennies. Cut the old one off and lubricate the new one with a little seal grease before reasembly.

On the end of the plunger you also have a plastic seal, but these rarely fail. If you price a complete seal kit, you get a new plunger, a spring and the O ring i mentioned. For what these kits are, they are expensive to say the least and a lot of the time you don't need it all. Careful not to mark the bore when re-inserting the plunger as this will cause leaking where the trigger pushes on the top of the plunger.

Dave

Dan Williams

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 02:17:44 pm »
cheers for that dave, will do so 8)

John Rimmer Marshall & Rimmer Ltd

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 02:20:39 pm »
Hi Bruce give Alltec a ring and ask to speak to Chris tell him what the problem is
You can get a kit sent to you ie new washers spring ect to fit inside the valve,
but in my exp over the years your better off putting the extra money to getting
a new valve its a lot less hasle and when you fit it on you know it is going to be ok. One word of worning dureing a cold spell like it is at the moment do not leav
a wand in the van overnight unless you have a heater in the back, becouse
if it freazes any water that is still in the valve will expand and damage the washers, or it can evan crack the outer casing of the valve i speak from bitter exp. If in any dought about about freazing up take it in the house, hope thats been of some help.

Take Care John

Nick Johnston

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 04:21:33 pm »
Hi guys

Good advice on the heater, John. I bought a Honeywell Frostwatcher from Machine Mart for under £20. Not only does this keep my equipment from being damaged, it also keeps the windscreen free of frost.

Nick

Nick Johnston

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 04:23:05 pm »
Goodness only knows where I got "Frosthingycher" from - it should read Frostwatcher!!

Nick Johnston

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 04:27:35 pm »
Now I know it's not me. My words are being manipulated somewhere within the system. If anyone knows why, I'm dying to know.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 04:27:54 pm »
Nick ,

Unfortunately the software changes some 'swear ' words to thingy even if they are in the middle of the word.

If its the one i think it is use a zero rather than a letter.

Cheers

Doug

Kev Loomes

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 06:38:55 pm »
Pop down to your local plumbing supplier (Plumcenter etc) and ask to see their rubber O rings (normally held in a little box with loads of different sizes). Then choose the smallest ones (take a rubber O ring with you from your wand to match it up), and hey presto. Buy a dozen for pence, this way if you need to replace them if they are worn or if they freeze and split (yes happened to me on a couple of ocasions!), it's very easy to replace  ;D

p.s. I never leave my wands in the van in winter anymore! (unless I can be bothered to put the heater in it - lol).

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 08:01:48 pm »
we have a leaky wand to! but at the jet end,they are new jets but I still get dribbles and blobs when turning off,should I replace the filters in side the jets :-\
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

John Kelly

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 08:08:49 pm »
Leaks from the jets are probably still linked to the valve as mentioned ealier.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 08:10:24 am »
the valve has not long been replaced by Ashbys :-\
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

John Kelly

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 08:47:11 am »
In that case, do your jet filters have springs on them? if so the they are shot and need replacing.

Dennis

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 08:57:47 am »
A temporary fix would be to take the jet valves apart and stretch the spring slightly, that usually stops the drips.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 09:04:43 am »
yes they do have springs cheers I think I will change them,I should have done it when the jets where replaced :-\it is so anoyeing to get the drips >:(

ta for info :D
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 06:42:47 pm »
Hey We've got a windy on here! ;D
Make up for me being in their bit!
Welcome Terry.
Like WFP you must be careful about things freezing. The latest valves are about £36 each.... ouch

Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Eddie Conroy

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 09:51:00 pm »
I have replaced the internals on the K valve quite a few times. When I use the Ashby Steamate to generate steam I seem to have to do it more often. Anybody else with this problem ?
Regards
Eddie

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 10:20:19 pm »
Probably the heat is gradually breaking down the rubber of the o ring, and it maybe starts to get harder. It then is not effective at sealing as its not as flexible as it was when new.

For what they cost, change them every fortnight or even more.

I used to use Extracta hand tools, and eventually as the bore where the plunger fitted into, wore down, regular as clockwork, a new o ring, and a new spring occasionally after rusting and snapping.

Dave

gmac

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 11:05:14 pm »
Eddie,

where do you get the internals from, please, it has just happened to me this week using the  v2 steamate with the Kleenrite tool it`s not the o ring its the larger seal which is causing the tool to spray when the trigger is not pressed.

Regards,

Gary

Eddie Conroy

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 11:41:48 pm »
Gary
I wasn't that brave to look around and try and source the kit. I bought it from Ashbys. (both for the k valve on the main wand and the p valve on the stair tool.
Regards
Eddie