This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike George

Hand care
« on: March 01, 2006, 03:35:34 pm »
OK so I'm a wuss, but the water and cold wind make my hands all dry and cracked. I find a dab of E45 cream before each house helps (but leave it a few minutes before climbing the ladder!).

What does anybody else use?
Don't recognise people?
Mike's face blindness blog

KJG

Re: Hand care
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 05:44:54 pm »
I wear black 'marigolds' for everything, bar leather & scrim work, all year round. More of a cleanliness issue than anything else. Wasn't keen going home to kids with tramps p|ss and flem etc on my hands from doing shop doorways.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 06:03:33 pm »
I've got extremely sensitive skin, the big softy I am, and have ended up at the doctors two occasions with hands that looked like prunes.

There's various barrier creams you can buy.  Boots do one; just keep re-applying it.  But it didn't work for me.

There's also a spray that claims to act like a 'second skin', but it's about £20 for a small can - Handguard I think it's called; didn't work for me either!

Handguard:

http://homepages.acenet.co.za/handguard/Why%20Handguard.html

In the end I opted for a water-proof glove.

After trying lots of different gloves I find a cotton inner (from Boots) and a 'marigold' is the best.

However, I've just bought Wor Lass a pair of Seal Skinz and she thinks they're great.  100% waterproof, warm and provides good manual dexterity.

Link here to Sealskinz and Unger gloves:

http://www.soapnational.co.uk/acatalog/Gloves.html

I may get a pair of sealskinz, but cotton inners and marigolds are fine for me.  It's just a little bit of a pain putting on two sets of gloves!

PS.

If you opt for the 'marigold option', buy three lots of cotton inners, so that you can change them when they get wet from your sweat and wash them with your scrims.

Also Unger Gloves are okay (neoprene), but wear out easily with heavy duty use.  I've heard them described as 'disposable gloves' here. 

Dick

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 07:54:40 pm »
For dry/chapped/cracked hands I use" Lotil Cream" available over the counter from boots and probably other chemists as well. It "rubs" in well and doesn't leave a greasy feel.
Cheers
Dick

rosskesava

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 07:57:06 pm »
I've have the same problem in winter which I really notice when I pick up a microwipe.

I was using Unger neopreme gloves which are ok but that green velcro strip?

Then I bough a quite expensive £70 pair of diver gloves which were better but lasted about 2 weeks.

Now I use Seal Skinz like Lord Tosh's Wor Lass does. I find them great and they are properly waterproof.

I also use a waterproof barrier cream if it's to warm for gloves but I seem to have to keep using before every other job.

wightsurf

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 08:08:43 pm »
Try this from boots , I messed my hands up from spraying acid on Glass house's
(i'm a comercial crop worker i  had to clean this glass in turn around rip out of old crop) BIO OIL contains purcellin oil. Helps me alot. Also might sound common sence but keep your hands dry tape your sleves to your gloves
stop water getting in.and change your gloves three or four times a day,don't throw the gloves just let them dry out then reuse them.

Try it Regards

Martin

WavieDavie

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 06:05:23 pm »
Go for Neutrogena hand cream, it's designed for trawlermen and it's great. it looks pricey but you don't need to use much at all.

I discovered it years ago reading a woman's magazine waiting in A+E. Sssshhh!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 06:53:02 pm »
Go for Neutrogena hand cream, it's designed for trawlermen and it's great. it looks pricey but you don't need to use much at all.

I discovered it years ago reading a woman's magazine waiting in A+E. Sssshhh!

Hubby has tried all prescribed and over the counter creams and WavieDavie's is the best so far.

Not cheap at £5 a small tube but last ages as you only need a small amount.

Men using Hand Cream - what is this world coming to eh !!!   ;)

Sarah
Sarah

Ken

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 07:03:09 pm »
Teisen Hand and Udder cream. Brilliant!
Used Neutragena in the past but this stuff walks all over it

dai

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 09:07:01 pm »
Even wearing gloves My skin cracks round my nails. It hurts like hell too.
I use germolene Nuskin, It's like a clear nail varnish. Paint over the cracks and forget about them. Brilliant stuff. DAI

craig jwc

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 10:36:24 pm »
I use a Nivea hand cream in the morning and wear Sealskin gloves when working.
When i have finished, got home and showered etc i use Neutrogena Hand cream "Norwegian Formula"

Finding this works well for me

Mike George

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 06:39:55 am »
Thanks for all the advice.

I don't like wearing gloves so I'll try some of the cream suggestions first.
Don't recognise people?

alan_t

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 12:55:00 pm »
i bought a pair of the unger neoprene gloves just before the winter started.
i only wore them once for 5 minutes.
i could'nt handle wearing them.

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 01:28:21 pm »
i bought a pair of the unger neoprene gloves just before the winter started.
i only wore them once for 5 minutes.
I wore mine for about 10 mins ... they fell apart after that :P

sunshine windows

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 03:35:25 pm »
I use Wilkinson's Baby Nappy Rash cream in the mornings to give my skin a waterproof coating, then put my Unger Neoprene gloves on and away to work i go. (Must try a pair of those Sealskinz though cause Unger are pretty pants).

When i get home apply lots of Nivea soft hand cream. After about 5 mins it's soaked in nicely and doesn't leave your skin feeling too greasy, unlike some other hand creams i've tried.

Sunshine
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Mike George

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2006, 05:24:17 am »
I've been using the Neutrogena for the past week and my hands are much better - I can now hold a microfibre without it getting hooked up on my rough skin!
Don't recognise people?