This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Timmy Boy

Granite Work Surface
« on: March 01, 2006, 09:36:39 am »
Hi all
My folks are retiring to Spain (lucky sods!) and have bought a place with a granite kitchen worktop. Can they use any cleaning product on it or is the surface affected by high acids/alkaline or bleach products. Also will it scratch up easily if using scourers etc
I am hoping that I will be able to demonstrate the cleaning of this surface as a company training excursion (if the the tax man buys this one when I put my receipt in he'll accept anything ;D)
Cheers
Tim

MrsMeredith

Re: Granite Work Surface
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 01:22:15 pm »
Hi Tim,

I came across this info:

Regularly clean your surfaces with a damp cloth. Dry-off worktops to avoid dull patches appearing where hard water and soap residues may have been left behind during daily use. A light neutral (PH7) detergent may be safely added.

Avoid the use of abrasive cleaners or scour pads. A spray cleaner, which can be applied to surfaces to clean and maintain the surface shine

Granite, and particularly marble, are porous materials even when the surfaces and edges have been polished. The stone is treated before leaving the factory to help resist staining. Therefore be careful of acidic and spirit based products such as wine, fruits and perfume. Care should also be taken with oil based products such as olive and cooking oils as these may stain if allowed to soak into the worktop. Should spillage occur, wipe off as soon as possible.

Worktops should not be brought into contact with strong acids or chemicals including paint stripper, brush cleaner, oven cleaner, nail varnish remover, degreasant or similar products.

Granite Kitchen Worktops Maintenance

Clean up spillages on granite immediately, especially those involving oil, strongly coloured foods and drinks and acidic spillages such as vinegar.

If a stain is slighty more resistant, use of mild or neutral detergents will usually be sufficient to remove it. To avoid any staining be sure to follow these basic rules :

Do not allow any build up of salt or detergent on your granite.

Never use abrasive cleaning products such as metal pads, scouring detergents and wire wool on granite as these can effect the finish over time. Also avoid alkaline and chlorine based cleaners and do not use bleach. Granite is easily maintained without the need for such abrasive cleaners.

Do not expose granite to excessive heat, it is best to have a tripod or similar to place your pans on when taken directly from the hob.

Over a period of time, it is natural for the sheen of your granite worktops to change depending on what usage it encounters. This can be easily restored by use of a granite polishing cream

Hope that helps!

Tracey.

Timmy Boy

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 04:57:00 pm »
blimey you know your onions on granite! :) Thanks a lot

MrsMeredith

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 02:18:09 pm »
Timmyboy, i would love to hand on heart say to you that i know all thta off the top of my head,,,,,,,but i don't  :P. Its what i have printed off and put into my research files for when i clean posh kitchens! ;)

David Lauder

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 11:03:19 am »
Can I point you in the direction of www.marblecleaning.org - you will find some free downloadable information on stone care plus a forum where specific questions can be asked.

Regards