Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Archer

Re: People who under sell themselfs are simply mugs.
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2013, 05:09:31 pm »

Dazmond and mick Kent,

Obviously none of us are mugs, we are just there basically providing a service, to hopefully earn us a living, and to enjoy the things that go with it.

The important thing for anyone is to accept what we are wanting from going out to work, then we can decide which direction we want to move in.

I can only speak regarding window cleaners around the north, of which there are possibly a lot more than down south per population, just my opinion, which in turn can drive prices down dependant on areas.

Mick, not for one minute would you get compact work up north like the areas in which you command your prices.

We all have goals, and want to hit them, but gotta be realistic

roundbuilder

« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2013, 05:20:42 pm »
Ok maybe i should have said down south then. My bad.
However i still feel im right with my way of thinking. I dont think i charge high at all as most accept my price, i just know i wouldnt be charging £6 when others are charging £12/15.
This was t meant to be north vs south prices. I just find it crazy that people in my area charge lower than what i did 10 years ago.

Archer

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2013, 05:28:22 pm »

Yes,

That's sounds about right, that's because possibly some people have come out of low paid jobs, and because they don't have to climb ladders to clean higher level windows, they jump on the bandwaggon

8weekly

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2013, 05:31:18 pm »

Yes,

That's sounds about right, that's because possibly some people have come out of low paid jobs, and because they don't have to climb ladders to clean higher level windows, they jump on the bandwaggon
That makes no sense. It is the guys on ladders that tend to b cheap around here. The ones using wfp charge more because they have overheads.

Jim Waugh(Albright & Shiny)

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2013, 05:42:30 pm »
I think you are missing Micks point..

Why would you not seek out the top rate that the market will allow for your labours..

Its simple maths. charging half the money means twice the work for the same return..

Ian101

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2013, 05:50:37 pm »
i thought i was charging top dollar last 2 years however started charging even higher in last 6 months and still getting the jobs ........ only problem now is my origional work looks underpriced  ::)roll

starting putting up houses with connies then doing a normal price increase.

when pricing now before i open my mouth with price i stop myself for a split second and stick 2 or 3 quid on top of what i was going to say  ;)

Archer

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2013, 06:16:28 pm »

8weekly,

I was saying because some people are scared of heights or climbing ladders ,they can now use wfp to clean higher level windows meaning they will work for less than what seasoned window cleaners will, pretty simple to understand

Not , doesn't make any sense

8weekly

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2013, 06:24:11 pm »

8weekly,

I was saying because some people are scared of heights or climbing ladders ,they can now use wfp to clean higher level windows meaning they will work for less than what seasoned window cleaners will, pretty simple to understand

Not , doesn't make any sense
But if the seasoned window cleaners aren't afraid why do they need more money? Around here it is the guys on ladders that are cheap. That makes sense because there are no overheads. Family saloon and ladders. I can't see how wfp guys would be cheaper because they are afraid of heights.

Archer

« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2013, 06:27:34 pm »
It happens

I wouldn't think a cow licking a bald head would make hair grow back, but it was on news years ago

Ste M

« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2013, 06:29:09 pm »
There is a fella round here, well known drinker, he has way over 500 houses and he signs on, works off ladders, gets his beer money for the day and goes the pub, he has 2 or 3 lads working with him at times an he pays them buttons and he charges on average £3 a house front an back, he has no overheads as ive never seen him with a bucket, he just wipes the dirt around.

Ive taken a fair bit of his work now and he aint bothered, never snarls at me or anything. i charge a hell of a lot more than him yet people still say yes to me, im not overly pricey but i hit what i need to hit to make my business work and its as simple as that.

Archer

« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2013, 06:31:20 pm »

Yep,

That will happen, people generally prefer decent window cleaners who take pride in themselves and their work,

robbo333

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2013, 06:44:48 pm »
The thing is...people are just different, think differently and have different aspirations.
Some guys are happy to charge a lower rate, make a wage, do a fair job and they are happy with their lot.
Others want to build a business; charge a premium for 'a better quality of work and service' and probably do provide a better service.
There is nothing wrong with either and both have their place. And I'm not knocking anyone.
I have lost customers to the 8 pound brigade, but that's what the customer wanted, so I just get on with it.
Set your stall out. Decide on where you want to be. Don't worry about anyone else.
I could go and buy a tiny Hyundai car for no money or a Range Rover for mega bucks. Both do the same thing!
If you're doing a good job and your customers like YOU (YOU), then let everyone else worry  ;D

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

8weekly

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2013, 06:47:45 pm »
It happens

I wouldn't think a cow licking a bald head would make hair grow back, but it was on news years ago

But you are the one trying to make a logical connection between wfp and a fear of ladders leading them to be cheaper. It maybe that wfp guys are cheaper, but it ain't cos they are afraid of ladders. More likely it is that they can do 3 houses to a ladder guy's one.

DG Cleaning

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2013, 06:51:07 pm »
There is a fella round here, well known drinker, he has way over 500 houses and he signs on, works off ladders, gets his beer money for the day and goes the pub, he has 2 or 3 lads working with him at times an he pays them buttons and he charges on average £3 a house front an back, he has no overheads as ive never seen him with a bucket, he just wipes the dirt around.

Ive taken a fair bit of his work now and he aint bothered, never snarls at me or anything. i charge a hell of a lot more than him yet people still say yes to me, im not overly pricey but i hit what i need to hit to make my business work and its as simple as that.

Most of the windies I come across are like this around here.
Very few work alone because they couldn't do enough to make a living.
One I know makes around 200 to 230 a day with one employee who makes 45% of what he earns which is half the £200 so £45 or around £60 on a good day.
They spend nothing on equipment still walking around with a round bucket etc but happy for prices to stay as they are.

roundbuilder

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2013, 07:07:35 pm »
Trad or wfp i have always priced the same so that isnt an issue in what i was saying. Would you still be happy working for the same money you was charging 10 years ago??
When i started in 2003 my average house price was £7. Now its £12 so on average goes up 50p a year.
Bare in mind 90% of my work is fronts at £10 so an average over the whole of £12 is pretty damn good.
Lowest job i do is £10 and has been since i joined this forum as a result from advice on this forum so how calm many folk still only charge £6 for a whole house.

keyser soze

« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2013, 08:32:47 pm »
if i charged an average of 32 quid a house i would be out of business . i couldn't imagine any of my custys would pay that much... mind you i am from up north .( no money town)... even the local window cleaners commute

TomCrowther

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2013, 09:02:15 pm »
My thoughts on the price debate are-
A wc can charge whatever he wants as there is no recommended price.
If someone comes to wc from a factory or other low paid work, it is more likely he will charge lower prices solely because if his background. He will work out he can charge eight quid a house and still get a lot more pay each week than on his old job. Result for him and his customers if he does a good job.
Someone who comes to wc from a "professional" background would never charge eight quid. They will price higher, again just because of their background. Result, good for him and his customers if he does a good job.
Where is the problem?
I price higher than some because I value my time.

gary999

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2013, 09:21:49 pm »
my average front is £7 lovely easy work until i read this
thread i never thought of deliberately targeting this work
with loads of victorian properties in a 2 miles radius of home,me
thinks this might change :)

roundbuilder

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2013, 09:44:22 pm »
my average front is £7 lovely easy work until i read this
thread i never thought of deliberately targeting this work
with loads of victorian properties in a 2 miles radius of home,me
thinks this might change :)
Untill 2 years ago i didnt target them either, best thing i did to my business, total bread and butter work.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2013, 10:27:07 pm »
I signed up 7 in the area where a guy was doing them for £6/8 for the whole house! I got 4 at £10 front only  3 at £15 for whole house and 1 at £35 with conservatory and wanted inside of conservatory cleaned too.
£120 for 2 hours work cleaning 7 houses all in 2 roads.
The other guy who does the whole house for between £6 and £8 so for arguments sake say £7 as a medium would have to clean 17 houses to earn the same(a whole 10 houses more)which at 3 an hour would take just short of 6 hours so basically a whole days work including driving.
Who's the mug??? It surely isnt me.
i  would say the customers are the mugs, for accepting your overpricing ;)