Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

davids3511

Re: People who under sell themselfs are simply mugs.
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 03:43:09 pm »
You know if your greedy if customers keep cancaling on you and declining your price so greed would be as stupid as under charging
Even then its not greed,its simply overestimating what price the area will accept.

Smudger

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 03:57:56 pm »
To call others greedy for getting a better price is just a ludite attitude that is unfortunately a British throwback of the class system where others just hate to see people succeed and be successful

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

dotty

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 04:08:40 pm »
lol so funny
p doherty

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 04:21:03 pm »
Obtaining a job at a higher price than others is a sales skill some don't possess. If you can do it good for you. Our average price is £32.00+.

Criticism of someone aiming for this and getting it is nothing more than the attitude of an idiot who obviously is inadequate in that dept of their business.

roundbuilder

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 04:25:48 pm »
The only people who disagree are the guys without the balls to price high enough or the guys who dont put there prices up. You get stuck in a rut doing work that is £5 or more out of date.
Remember i have canvassed all over the southeast from northampton to portsmouth and every area between i have been able to get good prices with good retention from happy customers as long as the window cleaners do a good job and happily accept my price.
Me and my team of canvassers have Never priced a house under £10 for the last 5 years so why are people still today only charging a silly £6 for a house is so beyond me??
Open your eyes gents its your own foot your shooting!!! In the long run it will effect things in the future by not putting your prices up for yourself and others pricing up new work.

koop

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 04:42:32 pm »
my average is £11, I charge £6 for a front which I think is a fair price.

What happens after 6 months or so is the customer thinks your too expensive and changes the clean to 8 weeks instead of 4. 

roundbuilder

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 04:43:45 pm »
I signed up 7 in the area where a guy was doing them for £6/8 for the whole house! I got 4 at £10 front only  3 at £15 for whole house and 1 at £35 with conservatory and wanted inside of conservatory cleaned too.
£120 for 2 hours work cleaning 7 houses all in 2 roads.
The other guy who does the whole house for between £6 and £8 so for arguments sake say £7 as a medium would have to clean 17 houses to earn the same(a whole 10 houses more)which at 3 an hour would take just short of 6 hours so basically a whole days work including driving.
Who's the mug??? It surely isnt me.

roundbuilder

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 04:46:05 pm »
Obtaining a job at a higher price than others is a sales skill some don't possess. If you can do it good for you. Our average price is £32.00+.

Criticism of someone aiming for this and getting it is nothing more than the attitude of an idiot who obviously is inadequate in that dept of their business.
Fair play.

roundbuilder

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2013, 04:51:25 pm »
my average is £11, I charge £6 for a front which I think is a fair price.

What happens after 6 months or so is the customer thinks your too expensive and changes the clean to 8 weeks instead of 4.
To be fair £11 average isnt bad going at all. My average is only £12 as i mainly do just fronts.
Do you not have a min charge though??if you let your customers know from day 1 min charge is £10 you would be surprised how many would accept it.
Answere to your question most of my work is 4 weekly and are happy when they see me and never queery the price! The ones who are on 8 weekly i dont charge more for like others do on her as they are the customers who cant afford it 4 weekly.

robertphil

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2013, 06:05:18 pm »
pricing as "high as the market will take" is shortsighted.  growth will be slow

8weekly

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2013, 06:06:46 pm »
I don't follow... If yo price higher than the market will take, you won't get any wok.

robertphil

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2013, 06:12:17 pm »
pricing as "high as the market will take" is shortsighted.  growth will be slow
I don't follow... If yo price higher than the market will take, you won't get any wok.
exactly . if you price high generally,you are going to get a bigger rate of cancellers . likely you will need to canvass/advertize often to keep it all going

i know 1 or 2 high pricer types personally, they stay 1 or 2 man banders because

theres not enough cream paying jobs out there to allow them to expand off the

tools .  a case study worth reading is the Earl of Elgin

8weekly

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2013, 07:08:58 pm »
exactly . if you price high generally,you are going to get a bigger rate of cancellers . likely you will need to canvass/advertize often to keep it all going

i know 1 or 2 high pricer types personally, they stay 1 or 2 man banders because

theres not enough cream paying jobs out there to allow them to expand off the

tools .  a case study worth reading is the Earl of Elgin
But if you price cheap, you will never be able to expand because there will be no profit after costs. No point in having a dozen employees returning a few percent profit. It isn't worth the stress.

Besides, alone or with staff, I have no interest in retaining customers just because I am cheap. I would rather have a turnover at the higher price, even if it does mean an ongoing marketing spend. Each to their own though.

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2013, 07:12:22 pm »

How do you equate your thinking with us, operating for 16 years, average job price over £32.00 and employ.

We have never used canvassers and dont as a rule knock. We probably have one a month cancel. Out of 200 customers thats not bad is it in the current economic climate.

robertphil

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2013, 07:17:43 pm »
well if youve been going 16 yrs and are still on the tools after that  its not moving forward is it. 

Smudger

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2013, 07:20:13 pm »
well if youve been going 16 yrs and are still on the tools after that  its not moving forward is it. 

Ouch!

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

roundbuilder

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2013, 07:28:31 pm »
See the ones without the savvy to price properly instead of underselling themselfs always shine up with a nevgative stupid post.
I hardly ever lose work maybe one job every 3 months which easily gets replaced by word of mouth and people seeing us out working, they all also accept the price.
I wouldnt want an underpriced heap of a round where my competitioon do half as much work for double the return?.
By underselling your selling yourself short.
Even me near on everyone accepts my price so maybe there is even more scope for me to get away with more who knows!!.

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2013, 07:47:38 pm »
well if youve been going 16 yrs and are still on the tools after that  its not moving forward is it.  

lol I never had any intention of coming off the tools. I like my job, I dont want to be sat on my arse worrying, I want to be out there on the coal-face so to speak.

Anyway, just try to answer the question, no need for digs, we all know why people do that, be rational, intelligent, its debate. Re-read it and answer it, its really simple.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2013, 08:18:16 pm »
Im out canvassing in an area where the window cleaner is charging £6 for a semi or £8 with a conservatory.. Most people i know would charge £12-15 without the conservatory and £20 with conservatory.
This is in a nice area too. Its the difference in someone earning £100 or £250 in the day or 2k a month or 5k a month doing the same area and same work!, Or someone working twice as hard to earn the same!. £6 for a semi front and back wherever you are in the country is simply stupid.
Underpricing or not putting your prices up is business suicidal!.
Rant over!!!! :-\

Agreed mick! And your right to rant about it. I can't help thinking its down to having no self confidence! Or maybe someone trying to build a round asap?!