This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

roundbuilder

People who under sell are mad in my opinion.
« on: July 07, 2013, 11:03:15 am »
Im out canvassing in an area where the window cleaner is charging £6 for a semi or £8 with a conservatory.. Most people i know would charge £12-15 without the conservatory and £20 with conservatory.
This is in a nice area too. Its the difference in someone earning £100 or £250 in the day or 2k a month or 5k a month doing the same area and same work!, Or someone working twice as hard to earn the same!. £6 for a semi front and back wherever you are in the country is simply stupid.
Underpricing or not putting your prices up is business suicidal!.
Rant over!!!! :-\

tlwcs

Re: People who under sell themselfs are simply mugs.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:16:34 am »
Im out canvassing in an area where the window cleaner is charging £6 for a semi or £8 with a conservatory.. Most people i know would charge £12-15 without the conservatory and £20 with conservatory.
This is in a nice area too. Its the difference in someone earning £100 or £250 in the day or 2k a month or 5k a month doing the same area!, Or someone working twice as hard to earn the same!. £6 for a semi front and back wherever you are in the country is simply stupid.
Underpricing or not putting your prices up is business suicidal!.
Rant over!!!! :-\

Totally agree.
But I've got to ask as its been bugging me since you put it up, you build rounds within a 60 mile radius of London?
Your signature shows 60 customers for £708. giving an average of £11.80. Is that not a little low for the home counties or is it another area of the UK.
My average in the midlands is just shy of £14
Tony

roundbuilder

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 11:23:14 am »
I 9 times out of 10 only do fronts at£10 the round your refering to is what im buildning for my stepdad. He wants 10 £10 jobs a day which is what im delivering for him.
My priceing earns well over the average as can do 6/8 fronts an hour depending how compact they are.

My average is just short of £13 per house as a whole on my rounds but thats due to 90% being front only cleans which is what i targeted.

HampshireWindowCleaning

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 12:10:22 pm »
Are you getting £10 for average sized fronts then Mick, sounds a good price, might try this myself rather than quoting for whole house. Guess you can earn more an hour doing lots of fronts in a row and most people are not going to mind forking out a tenner a month.

roundbuilder

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 12:22:10 pm »
Yes much more an hour doing front only cleans, £10 min for anything. All fronts are £10 nomatter how big or small and i price accordingly for the backs. Can hit 8 fronts an hour as opposed to 3 whole houses so as long as priced correctly doing front only cleans is a win win. Plus i get home early everyday too. Max pay for minimal work just what the doctor ordered.
Rarely does a customer begrudge £10 a month for the windows, frames and seals to be done regular on the fronts.
You should defo target some work like this. You wont go wrong as long as priced £10 fronts and you target the right areas.

HampshireWindowCleaning

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:30:40 pm »
Great idea mate, by the way would you canvass as south as Romsey and surrounding villages, usually do my own but at the point now where i'm too busy to fit much canvassing in and too knackered of an evening. Nothing definite but might be interested at some point

roundbuilder

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 12:35:40 pm »
Yea id hit there for you, i have mates in brighton(straigh mates lol) so would stop off there.
Just let me know as and when mate.

HampshireWindowCleaning

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 12:37:53 pm »
Cheers, will do mate

robertphil

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 01:03:37 pm »
theres a lot of greedy folk who want high prices and get upset when they come across a windie working at a lower price.  the greedy cannot compete i have found

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 01:13:49 pm »
Greedy is subjective.

roundbuilder

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 01:16:13 pm »
Its Not greed is it?? Its maximising profit at the end of the day. If folk are fine paying £15 then why charge £6?? Its madness.

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 01:17:20 pm »
Exactly.

roundbuilder

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 01:18:28 pm »
You know if your greedy if customers keep cancaling on you and declining your price so greed would be as stupid as under charging

HampshireWindowCleaning

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 01:19:37 pm »
I find it crazy how cheap some are, I go in with high prices and still get a lot of people saying 'you're cheap' and 'that's very reasonable'  so what is the point in working for peanuts when most people expect you to be expensive.

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 01:20:22 pm »
You've got it right if you secure something in the region of 60-65% of what you price. If you secure 100% you're too cheap. Nothing to do with greed. It's about what the market forces are prepared to withstand.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 01:22:14 pm »
How do you get away with doing fronts only .
Are they terraced or difficult access.
All houses here would want back and front doing otherwise they would find someone who would?

roundbuilder

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 02:00:47 pm »
How do you get away with doing fronts only .
Are they terraced or difficult access.
All houses here would want back and front doing otherwise they would find someone who would?
Yes terrace, mainly victorian terrace. I target houses with no rear access hence a ful round of front only simple cleans.

robertphil

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 03:01:13 pm »

Archer

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 03:06:59 pm »
The main problem is new starters coming from various backgrounds setting up, and just being happy charging lower amounts compared to what some window cleaners expect.

I never price low, I am not in to gaining work and being a busy fool, I price accordingly to hopefully get the work, but do it to a high standard, safely.

It can be frustrating and annoying, but I think it will get worse.