Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Roland S

anyone spray decking oil?
« on: June 26, 2013, 07:23:40 pm »
hi

i tried to spray some liberon decking oil today but it wasn't too succesful, it was coming out of the nozzle in two prongs rather than a nice even spray, its a top notch sprayer so it must be the nozzle i think. i'm guessing it was too viscous for the size nozzle i was using as it was a nice even spray before with water and also with white spirit? i don't like oiling decking much and thought it might speed the job up a bit, has anyone tried succesfully spraying it and if yes what nozzle did you use?

Blast Away

Re: anyone spray decking oil?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 07:26:03 pm »
That indicates a tiny piece of grit stuck in your nozzle pal. Take nozzle off and clean.

Roland S

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 07:29:49 pm »
hi

it was a new nozzle, but i did check for that, and then tried a slightly different size one but that didn;t help either, but thanks for the help anyway. also it was spraying fine with water and white spirit before and afterwards.

Len Gribble

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:44:34 pm »
Should have used paint strainers the like car sprayers use
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Roland S

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:19:43 pm »
Should have used paint strainers the like car sprayers use

hmmm didn't know about them, though there always seems to be sediment in the coloured oil which i'm guessing is the colour itself so i wouldn;t want that filtered out although my test spray today was clear oil.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 10:19:50 pm »
Roland
Try using a paint pad to do the deck oiling, but if you want to spray you are going to need a HVLP set-up and even there decking oil could be to thick, are you using solvent or water based Liberon,  I had a job earlier this (insurance claim) that had to be Liberon as they were paying for us to do the job and I found it ok to use with brushes.

Kenny83

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 11:46:27 pm »
Roland
Try using a paint pad to do the deck oiling, but if you want to spray you are going to need a HVLP set-up and even there decking oil could be to thick, are you using solvent or water based Liberon,  I had a job earlier this (insurance claim) that had to be Liberon as they were paying for us to do the job and I found it ok to use with brushes.

Hi roger, can you recommend a good oil / varnish for cedar? ive just had some machined for my new gates. I don't want to be treating them every few years though, that's why I went for a hard wood (as recommended by the guy at the counter). Is there anything out there that would be suitable mate? I don't mind paying  for the best if it means I don't have to keep re treating
Thanks
Lee
 ;D
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

Roger Oakley

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:02:07 am »
Kenny
Cedar is not a hard wood mate sorry  :-\ It's good but not classed as hard
Oiling would be the best route, either Colourtrend OTO natural glow (water based) if you want to keep the natural look of the Cedar or if you want to use a solvent based oil, you have a choice Osmo or Otawal.

If you have a look at the hard floor section and thread wood orbiter there are some before and after photos of a Cedar deck I did a couple of weeks ago, using the Colourtrend.

It will be a year on year thing maybe max 18 months with oiling,
Do you have a photo of the gates, either post here or email to me, let me just see if it is Cedar.

Kenny83

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 12:19:56 am »
Kenny
Cedar is not a hard wood mate sorry  :-\ It's good but not classed as hard
Oiling would be the best route, either Colourtrend OTO natural glow (water based) if you want to keep the natural look of the Cedar or if you want to use a solvent based oil, you have a choice Osmo or Otawal.

If you have a look at the hard floor section and thread wood orbiter there are some before and after photos of a Cedar deck I did a couple of weeks ago, using the Colourtrend.

It will be a year on year thing maybe max 18 months with oiling,
Do you have a photo of the gates, either post here or email to me, let me just see if it is Cedar.

Yes, I'll email you one tomorrow mate, i've had the frame made in steel and powder coated black, the wood will be going into the frame to finish it off so it's still in the wrapper, I did noticed that the top plank has actually gone a lot darker than the rest, due to the sun I imagine, but it's strange how it's gone darker? I would have thought the sun would have faded it?
My dad came round today to look at the wood(he will be doing most of the fitting while I make the tea  ;D) and said exactly the same as you Roger, he gave it a name, think he said it's a fern? or something like that, can't remember what he said exactly but he said it's not a hard wood too.
I hope it's decent stuff as it cost me £250 (100 to set the machine up) for 9 x meter lengths!  :-\
Thanks for your help, shall I use the email on your site?
Pressure Washing -

BDCS

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 08:48:28 am »
We use cedar beehives because you don't need to keep treating it

Kenny83

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 12:32:37 pm »
So I would be better off not treating it at all carl?
Pressure Washing -

Roger Oakley

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 12:44:03 pm »
Kenny,

All the Cedar will do is go grey over time, if you want to keep it looking at it's best and how it should do now, then yes you are going to need to clean and re-oil around 12-18 months.

Roland S

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 08:44:41 pm »
Roland

i never thought about a paint pad i might try it out. to be honest i use a 12" roller for the first coat and a block brush for the second and this is quite fast and effective, i just thought spraying might have been quicker still. i use the solvent based, from this year liberon were meant to have changed the formula to make it sprayable, but i didn't have much joy.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 09:23:52 pm »
Like most oil's Liberon have had to go water based, which doesn't spray to well, plus you really need to back brush with spraying to get an even finish.
Kevin Martin supplies the Harris pads, and at a better price then the big sheds.
Thing to remember with padding is you still need to brush the edges of the boards, if you are as anal as me with decking, but the pad will speed things up on the deck face.

Roland S

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 09:57:00 pm »
thanks for the tips roger much appreciated :)