This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Carl2009

How's business this year?
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:58:59 pm »
In spring 2011 as in previous years I had a spike of new custies. In 2012 I didn't - it was pouring and the spike came in July when we had a brief respite from the weather. This year the spring spike is much lower, in fact I've lost a few custies recently, mainly down to the recession.

Anyone noticed the same? Are you up year on year custies wise? If you lose someone what reason are they giving?

gavinb

Re: How's business this year?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 04:21:46 pm »
Crap !!!!

Despite me doing houses for £3.50 im struggling as folk are cutting back due to recession etc .
I feel as though i will be put of business at this rate any time soon .

alank

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 04:46:57 pm »
Not good, lots of people are skint.

bobplum

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 04:52:42 pm »
i have found making the second million is a lot harder than the first

DaveG

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 05:07:33 pm »
Ticking over..
You can't polish a turd

wipe clean

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 05:09:22 pm »
TOO MANY PEOPLE AT THIS GAME SINCE WFP.
IF WE WERE STILL LADDERING THERE WOULDNT BE HALF THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 05:17:07 pm »
Business is good.

Never better. We're 20% up on this time last year or thereabouts.

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 05:30:35 pm »
ive picked up 15 new regular window cleaning jobs in a week.plus had around 6-7 add on jobs booked in as well.all from word of mouth and recommendation.

im £1600 up on this time last year earnings wise.

slowly and steadily business and earnings are creeping up year on year averaging around £3,000-£4000 extra every year in the last 3 years.

commercial,large domestics and run of the mill domestics.

i have lost one or two due to losing jobs,moving,died etc but no more than usual.ive dumped a few as well.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Carl2009

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 05:50:19 pm »
Thanks guys. Seems a mixed bag.

Money-wise i'm level with last year, but am down quite a few custards. I raised prices in March - that might account for a bit. I know a few have moved; I've dumped one and lost one to the Karcher Window Vac. I've lost 3 or 4 to other windies doing them for peanuts.

I have to say I don't canvass and I don't leaflet. The only advertising I do is the van and the website.

Matt and Daz - are you actively seeking work (i.e canvassing, advertising, leafleting etc.) or is it just word of mouth and 'approached whilst working'. Also, where are you two?

Cheers

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 06:18:41 pm »
I don't canvass, unless it looks like it'll be a days work. The new van has moved mountains since i got it in the canvassing dept.

I'm in Hampshire.

However saying that I'm 20% up on this time last year, we've actually lost £2600 since the start of trading this financial year.  That figure only includes expenses actually paid out so far this year, such as deposit on van and any ongoing costs it has incurred which we didn't have this time last year, such as the system, new extreme pole, various other stuff.

Cliff perkins

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 06:30:01 pm »
Brilliant for me
Always room for improvement
But i think a business owner would always say that no matter how busy you are.
Im earning far beyond what i set out to earn when i started  ;D

Regards
Www.1stglasswindowcleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 06:40:13 pm »
most new jobs come from word of mouth and recommendation.i do leaflet and canvass sometimes if i get a new job in a new area but i usually dont get a single job!! :( ;D ;D

no website.

sign written van which brings in the odd job.

i must say though i work hard and im VERY organised and work in most weather and very rarely get behind with work.im also flexible with some customers who are struggling and offer an every other month service albeit at a slightly higher price.

i also do a very good job with smart business cards,slips,leaflets and logo d uniform.

my work is mainly based in cheshire.

best wishes

dazmond

Carl2009

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 06:53:21 pm »
Interesting isn't it, how things can be different in different areas. Down here we've sailed through the recession so far, but it is def getting tougher for people I feel. I'm not worried as i'm level with last year and in fact felt I had a bit too much work at one point, but no one likes losing work unless they are pita custies and you can't ever be complacent.

Good luck to you all as we move on through the year.

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 06:59:13 pm »
there are at least 20 windows cleaners that i know of in the areas i work.most are sole traders and 100% trad although a few are wfp with very nice vans!! ;D ;D ;D

i never worry about competition and keep ploughing my own furrough.doing the best i can for a fair price.

regards

dazmond

wfp master

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 07:02:49 pm »
beautiful. never lost a days work since march which must be a record for me.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 07:06:52 pm »
In my 8th year of increased turnover. Just picked up my biggest residential job yet and gonna call it a day now. All jobs coming in now will be to replace other existing work. I'm sure turnover might go up, but amount of actual work/jobs done won't.

Not to say I didn't lose a few, but gained more work, which is good.

So all in all I can't complain! :)

Ian101

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 07:37:39 pm »
the rate im going i may have to pay tax at some point  ;D

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 08:01:32 pm »
Had 300 window customers this time last year. Only got 125 now. Sold a load cos I was too busy with other projects. Turnover is up, profits are down due to reinvestment. It's all gravy though, I'm more than happy.

suds window service

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 08:36:26 pm »
27% growth. No canvassing at all.   I put it down to been good at the job ;D

Dean Taberner

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 09:00:05 pm »
I don't canvass, unless it looks like it'll be a days work. The new van has moved mountains since i got it in the canvassing dept.

I'm in Hampshire.

However saying that I'm 20% up on this time last year, we've actually lost £2600 since the start of trading this financial year.  That figure only includes expenses actually paid out so far this year, such as deposit on van and any ongoing costs it has incurred which we didn't have this time last year, such as the system, new extreme pole, various other stuff.

Do you like windows Matt?
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk