Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike #1

Re: Meet our second franchisee
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 07:19:22 am »
So i take it you have no idea who Ian Lancaster is then ?  . Mike

luther1

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 08:41:01 am »
Yeah, more window cleaners are needed.  Nothing like driving prices down.

Don't come near me.  Go near Nottingham or somewhere.  Great Yarmouth etc.

I've had enquiries from all over the country.  Could be coming to a town near you in a few years...

Vin

LOL, Paul Smith used to come out with that line when 'building' 'Powerclene', eight years ago on the other cleaning forum (can't remember its name - that's gone down the pan as well).

Doesn't hurt to wish you luck, mate, but this ain't 2005 anymore, things have changed.

He's taking the mickey,just for those that need a smilie put on the end of things

Geoff

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 08:54:23 am »
You won't be saying that in five years' time.

Smilies or not.

:)

Spruce

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 09:05:05 am »
I've always been impressed with Vin positive attitude, especially in these uncertain financial times (which aren't his making.)

I'm sure that Vin will work with his Franchise business partner and his enthusiam will rub off on Jake. He will also be a good motivator when those 'dips' come along.

I've watched Vin grow his business, employ an assistant, fight off the negative and sometimes rude remarks by a couple of members on this forum, and suceed.

I raise my hat and bow my head in recognition of your accomplishments sir.

When I first came here 20 years ago I considered window cleaning but drifted into the motor trade. 9 years ago we started cleaning windows, initially trad and shortly after wfp.
For me it was a major learning curve - I had plenty of business to business experience in customer service, but had never been self employed.

Oh, if only we had this concept 20 years ago, then this is something I would have seriously considered. Yes it has a cost, but then you have an up and running business which is a major benefit.

Unfortunately (for me but probably fortunately for him ;) ), I have never met him, but, I see him as a person who is passionate about providing an excellent customer service and earning a good return for that, while managing to efficiently run his business displaying a professional image to his customers and potential customers.

In my experience we don't always see a mixture of all 3 of these qualities in a window cleaner. If they are money driven then they don't always see the need to provide a good service. Others may not be good at managing their business, although proudly do a good job.

I wish them both the best.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

tlwcs

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 09:10:36 am »
I've always been impressed with Vin positive attitude, especially in these uncertain financial times (which aren't his making.)

I'm sure that Vin will work with his Franchise business partner and his enthusiam will rub off on Jake. He will also be a good motivator when those 'dips' come along.

I've watched Vin grow his business, employ an assistant, fight off the negative and sometimes rude remarks by a couple of members on this forum, and suceed.

I raise my hat and bow my head in recognition of your accomplishments sir.

When I first came here 20 years ago I considered window cleaning but drifted into the motor trade. 9 years ago we started cleaning windows, initially trad and shortly after wfp.
For me it was a major learning curve - I had plenty of business to business experience in customer service, but had never been self employed.

Oh, if only we had this concept 20 years ago, then this is something I would have seriously considered. Yes it has a cost, but then you have an up and running business which is a major benefit.

Unfortunately (for me but probably fortunately for him ;) ), I have never met him, but, I see him as a person who is passionate about providing an excellent customer service and earning a good return for that, while managing to efficiently run his business displaying a professional image to his customers and potential customers.

In my experience we don't always see a mixture of all 3 of these qualities in a window cleaner. If they are money driven then they don't always see the need to provide a good service. Others may not be good at managing their business, although proudly do a good job.

I wish them both the best.

I really could not have put that any better myself, thanks Spurce.
Keep at it Vin, and well done.
Tony

Spruce

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 09:36:41 am »
Hi Tony

This is why I was sad for a newbie on here recently who turned an offer down by Vin to spend a day out with him in Southampton. This newbie was in the South London area and felt it too far to travel to Southampton.

I do honestly hope this newbie reconsidered and took Vin up on his offer.

tlwcs

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 09:39:10 am »
Hi Tony

This is why I was sad for a newbie on here recently who turned an offer down by Vin to spend a day out with him in Southampton. This newbie was in the South London area and felt it too far to travel to Southampton.

Yes I think I wrote on that post too.
Its the old saying, you can lead a horse to water but cant make him drink
Have a good weekend mate.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 10:55:56 am »
My Dad always said "You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead"

Vin

Dave Willis

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 11:14:01 am »
Funny thing is it's Ian Lancasters franchise model and yet nobody attacks him on here. He probably wouldn't worry anyway 'cos he'll be on holiday somewhere sunning himself.
I can understand people asking why anyone would buy into a franchise but to criticize the guy who's selling it seems mad.
Vin has pushed his business further than most dream of on here. 

Rayleigh Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 02:11:32 pm »
Good luck Vin, and the two guys.

Steve

Spruce

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 03:00:16 pm »
Funny thing is it's Ian Lancasters franchise model and yet nobody attacks him on here. He probably wouldn't worry anyway 'cos he'll be on holiday somewhere sunning himself.
I can understand people asking why anyone would buy into a franchise but to criticize the guy who's selling it seems mad.
Vin has pushed his business further than most dream of on here. 

Hi Dave,

Funny that you should make this comment as I have often thought the same.

The way I see it is that both have gone down the Franchise route for different reasons.

Ian has been associated with window cleaning for a lot longer and sees franchisees as an extention to his earning life in semi retirement. Vin on the other hand sees Franchisees as a way of dealing with his fast growing customer base.

Ian is older and would be respected more because with age comes experience. For me, Ian has an answer to everything because of experience, and this is how I envisage him in my head - quiet, reserved and all knowing in the window cleaning business.

I also think the Vin, being younger, has voiced his success where Ian has quietly got on with it. With Vin, I think his driven enthusiasm has grown his business so fast that franchisees is the way to go as you have someone who wants to succeed as opposed to an employee who by far and large doesn't give a dam. For some reason, some seem to derate other successes - 'a woman has only succeeded in business as she has slept with the boss' attitude. Vin's positive attitude no matter what seems to get under some people's skin for some reason.

I maybe wrong though.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 05:22:15 pm »
Hi Tony

i had the presure of meeting vin only a few years ago when he came from southampton to bristol to help me out when he wanted to see what it was all about,

ive watch with intest with the way vin gone and wish him all the luck with the way he goes.iam sure that he will go from strenght to strenght ,he aboivous haves that drive to do  it.unlike some on here who will be no better off than when they started  ;)

also hes been their to pay back abit to me and help me with a few question ive put to him.

onwards and upwards vin all the best mate

Perfect Windows

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 05:23:13 pm »
I'm no spring chicken.  I hit my half-century in five weeks....

And, yes, I know that incessant optimism can be irritating.  However, I gave up a rather well paid job selling IT to come into this business and I've never, not once, regretted it, because it's a wonderful business to be in.

Yes, cold days in winter and sweltering days in summer can be a bit of a drag but the good moments are so good and so frequent that I just can't see why I'd be anything other than optimistic and happy.

Add to that the quality of most of our opposition: You've read 10,000 threads about cowboys and idiots so no need to remind you.  I came from an industry where competition was cut-throat and getting any sale took blood, sweat and tears.  I've worked a straight 48 hours in my time to get a sale finished.  Now, like you all, I'm up against people who throw their business away; often literally when they just stop turning up. Again, what's not to be optimistic about?

The final reason for my mindless optimism is that I realised a few years ago that moaning got me nowhere.  Being happy makes people around you happy.  Being miserable does the same for those around you.  Which would I rather do?

So, I'm afraid I do try to spread the news.  I'll help anyone and, while I'm franchising to make money, I'm also driven to help people to improve their lives.  I hope Jake won't think I'm talking out of school when I point out that he's been doing 60 hour weeks for far too long.  If I can make some money and Jake can get to a 25 hour week (or whatever he chooses) without the same degree of stress I went through in starting then who loses?

Anyway, that's my rant after a day spent in the sun setting up a boxed, ready to go 4040 for Jake.  So it may be utter tripe as I think my brain's boiled.

Vin

PS. I do have to sleep with the boss as the other half's a co-director.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 05:24:47 pm »
Hi Tony

i had the presure of meeting vin only a few years ago when he came from southampton to bristol to help me out when he wanted to see what it was all about,

ive watch with intest with the way vin gone and wish him all the luck with the way he goes.iam sure that he will go from strenght to strenght ,he aboivous haves that drive to do  it.unlike some on here who will be no better off than when they started  ;)

also hes been their to pay back abit to me and help me with a few question ive put to him.

Cheers, Franky, your comments, as ever, flatter me.

I will buy you that long-promised breakfast as a thank you one day...

Vin

Frankybadboy

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 05:29:24 pm »
Hi Tony

Cheers, Franky, your comments, as ever, flatter me.

I will buy you that long-promised breakfast as a thank you one day...

Vin
;)

no need vin ;)

you think the same as me "be happy makes everyone happy"why i was glad to help

and i know you would do the same for me. :) :) :)

Spruce

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 05:56:54 pm »
I'm no spring chicken.  I hit my half-century in five weeks....

And, yes, I know that incessant optimism can be irritating.  However, I gave up a rather well paid job selling IT to come into this business and I've never, not once, regretted it, because it's a wonderful business to be in.

Yes, cold days in winter and sweltering days in summer can be a bit of a drag but the good moments are so good and so frequent that I just can't see why I'd be anything other than optimistic and happy.

Add to that the quality of most of our opposition: You've read 10,000 threads about cowboys and idiots so no need to remind you.  I came from an industry where competition was cut-throat and getting any sale took blood, sweat and tears.  I've worked a straight 48 hours in my time to get a sale finished.  Now, like you all, I'm up against people who throw their business away; often literally when they just stop turning up. Again, what's not to be optimistic about?

The final reason for my mindless optimism is that I realised a few years ago that moaning got me nowhere.  Being happy makes people around you happy.  Being miserable does the same for those around you.  Which would I rather do?

So, I'm afraid I do try to spread the news.  I'll help anyone and, while I'm franchising to make money, I'm also driven to help people to improve their lives.  I hope Jake won't think I'm talking out of school when I point out that he's been doing 60 hour weeks for far too long.  If I can make some money and Jake can get to a 25 hour week (or whatever he chooses) without the same degree of stress I went through in starting then who loses?

Anyway, that's my rant after a day spent in the sun setting up a boxed, ready to go 4040 for Jake.  So it may be utter tripe as I think my brain's boiled.

Vin

PS. I do have to sleep with the boss as the other half's a co-director.

And I think this is the beauty of a genuine franchise. Whoever buys into it knows that he has a backer that's been there before him, experienced and learnt from the pitfalls along the way. Part of the startup is an already serviced customer base that he can grow once he becomes experienced with WFP.

Anyone starting now has such an advantage to when we started. As we weren't sure we tippy toed in. When son in law joined us, we had the experience to know exactly what he wanted to do his job from day one. We kitted the van out with the right size tank, an SLX22 with an Extreme brush, steel hosereel with 100 meters of minibore and he was ready to go from day 1.

Son in law had cleaned windows trad before, but very quickly got into wfp. All it took was a little time to build up his upper body strength.

I like the way you have got him into a 4040 straight away - no messing with a slower processing r/o filter. To box it also indicates attention to detail which is very reassuring.