This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

lee_dewing

Fell off my ladder
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:39:50 am »
I'm w.f.p before anymore said.

Using ladder to access flat roof, thought angle off ladder was o.k and used rojak as on decking.

But ladder slid, cut and bad bruises, luckily grabbed flat roof for split second which must have helped.

drove to hospital and they xrayed knee shin and ankle.

I know stupid being w.f.p and still using ladder!

It's surprising looking at my round how many jobs i use ladder to access unreachable window(s)

So leave ladder at home but at a guess as haven't gone through whole job list but guessing 20-30%

of customers will have missed window(s) to no ladder policy.

Once i tell these customers do you think i'l lose them all?

Anyone had similar experience.

Just thankful not to have both my legs in plaster working a bit today and see how i feel.

Been told that bruising could cover whole shin and foot (black possibly) not happened yet.

Thanks everyone.
Lee
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Neil Gornall

Re: Fell off my ladder
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:13:24 am »
bad luck mate, hope your fit soon.

20-30% of work needing a ladder seems a heck of a lot, I dont think I have more than about 1% and thats from 3 vans working.
Maybe its down to the style pf properties in your area?

rg1

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 11:56:42 am »
For the 20-30% of your customers that have inaccessible windows, write and print off a letter to each custy that states what has happened to you and because of this, you will not be using a ladder again. You could offer to do the houses at a slightly cheaper rate if you are worried about losing them.
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 01:10:18 pm »
Take a photo of your leg when it bruises up add a picture of my friend Darron Motherby who fell from a ladder and is now paralyzed from the neck down.

Put both pictures in a letter to any customers with an explanation about how both came about.

Offer to knock 50p off for each window missed.

Throw the Rojak away and sell the ladders.

Consider yourself lucky that we are not doing a whip round for your grieving family

Have a good weekend and take it steady.

lee_dewing

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 01:19:42 pm »
Hi  Neil.

Maybe 20-30% is panicing abit but upto about 15 custies scanning through george that would mean missing windows.

I have 220-ish custies. (i do a quite a few custies with extensions, perhaps i've picked up alot of windies, cast off work ::)roll
I went out for abit today-sore but hopefully won't get much more bruising.

Rg1 will do just that i'l send letter's out explaining the situation and alter price for missed windows will lose some no doubt, i'd imagine some will be grudgingly keep me for now til they find someone else.

Some of the extensions are pitched not flat roof.
So maybe using 30ft+  fish pole i can reach from the safety of the floor, bit of trial and error.

On the plus side got off pretty well.
Windy near me had similar fall and broke both legs now has pins in bones and he's still trad!

At least i'l get asked less for do me a favour jobs with no ladder on roof rack ;)

Thanks for your replies guys.

lee_dewing

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 01:26:04 pm »
Thanks Sunshine.

SO sorry to here of your friend.

I did consider a pic of my leg; not that bruised yet (luckily!)

Wake up call.
I did panic waiting in A&E. what if ankle or shin fractured :'(

Thanks everyone.

rg1

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 01:27:34 pm »
I have customers with windows that are inaccessible with wfp and haven't lost any of them so don't fret too much Lee  ;)
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

robertphil

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 01:28:21 pm »
rubber never grips on outdoor decking NOR  damp ground NOR dusty ground.

anybody MAKING OR selling rubber mats of any sort as a safety product is a total charlatan  

i know this as i had a ladder slip out on me on a laddermat about 3yrs ago / i have since done a little research and now know that rubber mat/s  should not be used outdoors.
i posted on here about my own fall at the time ,and had no end of other windies reply how they had fell or had near misses when rubber suddenly lost its grip 

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 01:32:33 pm »

anybody MAKING OR selling rubber mats of any sort as a safety product is a total charlatan  

i know this as i had a ladder slip out on me on a laddermat about 3yrs ago / i have since done a little research and now know that rubber mat/s  should not be used outdoors

Quite true, rubber and wet decking is lethal.

If it was me that had fallen 3 years ago I would have found another method of cleaning windows by now. 

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 01:34:54 pm »
Thanks Sunshine.

SO sorry to here of your friend.

I did consider a pic of my leg; not that bruised yet (luckily!)

Wake up call.
I did panic waiting in A&E. what if ankle or shin fractured :'(

Thanks everyone.

One of the most overused sayings after disaster is "I never thought it would happen to me" when it does we should see it as you have as a wake up call.

All the best Lee

robertphil

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 01:38:29 pm »

i know this as i had a ladder slip out on me on a laddermat about 3yrs ago / i have since done a little research and now know that rubber mat/s  should not be used outdoors

Quite true, rubber and wet decking is lethal.

If it was me that had fallen 3 years ago I would have found another method of cleaning windows by now. 
shortly after that time i learnt that spikes fitted to a ladder / or using a trad pole are both good methods and i use these now
the point im making is that these rubber products are lethal in a lot of situations

lee_dewing

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 01:39:22 pm »
Thank you Sunshine.

Rg1 Thanks for that.

Unreasonable custies can  be replaced.

My life/legs can't :o

lee_dewing

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 02:24:32 pm »
Just went onto george and drag all affected work onto sundays onto diary view so made it easier to see and tot up whats and who's affected.

It's 20% of my work will lose a bit; I hope 10% or less.

But as said thankfull that just cuts and bruises.

Rayleigh Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 02:42:34 pm »
Sorry to hear about your fall mate, give yourself the weekend off and count your blessings.

Steve

weetot

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 03:07:03 pm »
Its quite ironic the whole wfp thing and still having to use ladders now & again. Though a lot of us still have to do it.

A good friend of mine has cleaned windows 27 years, and he came off the ladder in February gone, broke a bone in his back and his right shoulder.
He is still having physio on shoulder and has to have an operation this month to staple the tendons.

He will never get back to windowcleaning, and it has changed his life, healthwise and financially.
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

DG Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 03:41:02 pm »
I use the ladder for a few flat roofs, since going wfp I've been more conscious about where I put the ladder.
Now I find a place where I can wedge the ladder such as a wall.
Do any of these houses have somewhere safer to place the ladder?

lee_dewing

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 04:13:20 pm »
A few have the wall to foot ladder DG, not many to be honest.

Some of the customers are only having the back done a couple of times a year also.

I'l write to some and see what i can do on the day with others using longer fish pole if that doesn't work then i can other to come in and get out of upstairs window onto flat roof if not too akward; my experience is most customers don't want you inside their house ::)roll

Having said that i do have a few regular inside jobs so i can't look too scarey :D

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 05:13:55 pm »
i would never use ladders on decking even with a ladderstopper.

take it easy lee.ive fell off twice now and landed on my heels both times from 1st floor height.it defo shakes you up a bit.

i do still use ladders a few times a week but very few flat roof jobs left now.normally there used for opening a locked gate or climbing over them.

take the weekend off lee and rest.

very best wishes mate

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

TomCrowther

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 05:44:26 pm »
I use a l a d d e r m a t e and its a great bit of kit. Impossible to slip,very stable. Worth a look before you drop your customers.