This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Alistair@AWC

Just Starting out!!
« on: February 25, 2006, 06:38:24 pm »
Hi Guys,

Im just starting out in window cleaning in fact im still waiting for my first lot of leaflets to arrive, ive read through many posts which has been very helpful and has answered many questions I had.

Although I was wondering if anyone could help me with pricing and wfp set-up??

I was wondering what per window price I could charge and would you still charge a up-lift fee for each upstairs window

would the price change for a bay window or a small toilet window or would you go with the thinking that they even themselves out, is there a minimum charge I should go with (I am based in the northwest so no central london prices please, although id love to charge them i dont think I could get away with them) I know this is a much discussed topic and Im sorry for repeating it but I feel its important to get it right.

As for the WFP, I quite fancy one so thought it best just to get one immediately rather than wasting time in the future.

so should I buy a ready built system, or would it be better to build one up by buying individual components obviously price is a factor

I would like an in-built van system which would be capable of doing 20-25 houses per day and would need to reach no higher than 3 stories high

im sure i had more questions but ive forgotten them for now

Cheers Guys

Alistair@AWC

Re: Just Starting out!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 07:06:31 pm »
see I knew id remember   :D

is it possible to run 2 poles off one system, when I take somebody on or would one of us have to do downstairs Trad while the pole is used upstairs??

also is it possible to buy a ladder similiar to a step ladder that would reach over locked gates so I can gain access to the rear of properties without having them left unlocked

Im sure theres more but at the mo im talking to myself LOL so I'll leave it at that for now

brett walker

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 07:47:17 pm »
Hi there

for access i use a double pointer 15 rungs fully extended this allows you to lean over gates to unlock access to flat roofs and a variety of different windows.

Also cleaning out gutters on bungalows, i got it from the ladder center

regards

Brett

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 08:04:27 pm »
the average price is about 75p - £1-00 per window depending on size ofcourse

if i take on a big house i normally count the windows 1st price them @ £1-00 each and then possible give a small discount (mind you this is the South)
jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 08:12:00 pm »
Hi There,

Welcome to the world of WC.

The DIY route for WFP system is always going to work out better value, if your'e fairly handy then it's going to be no problem at all. It is quite possible to set up very economically for a basic  van system you would need about £900 for RO system with a decent tank and professional pole. It would be very straightforward to run two poles from a good system.

As far as gates go, I drop the pole over and climb! Either that or walk away!

Have fun setting up

Alex

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 08:22:06 pm »
Hi Alistair
I've not been going long myself and pricing was the one thing I wish I'd got correct from the start. what I do and Ive heard others on here say roughly the same is for a standard 2 floor house have a set price for the windows asuming they are all plain glass not leaded or geogian, I charge 75p for what I can reach from a fixed point, ie if I have to move my ladder 2 or 3 times on a bay window its £1.50 or £2.25 I do the same on ground floor windows, when looking to price a house I count the moves and give the house a score of 1 point for each move so a house that I score as 20 would be £15.00    if something looks awkward just add a point or 2   you will need to know roughly what prices are exceptable in your area though. leaded or georgian same thing but 2-3 points per move, its best to get it right from the outset though because I did a clean yesterday for £8.50  that if I was pricing today would be £15.50  :o I dont think they would except an increase like that so I'll keep doing it untill I can afford to lose it :-\ hope this helps and I'm sure others will answer some of your other questions      
Sussex by the sea

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 09:32:29 am »
Cheers Guys,

I definitely need to hold my nerve on this pricing thing, got to remember that ive only noticed 1 unregular w/c in my area and I swear if he didn't have a squeege in his hand id be convinced he was trying to rob the place.

Think i'll go the DIY route with the WFP cos I doubt i'll have any trouble putting it together although I dont understand which components i'll need if anyone would be kind enough to list what they have or what they would have if they were building it now along with the cheapest places to order it from

Thanks

Al

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 09:43:26 am »
have you looked here?  http://www.d.co.uk/
Sussex by the sea

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 10:01:31 am »
Cheers Chris,

How weird, ive just read that site

JM123

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 04:10:11 pm »
Hi Alistair, have a look at www.surecleansystems.com you'll find what you want there.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 05:17:38 pm »
Cheers Guys,

Ive just started leafleting my chosen area so im gonna start putting together the WFP system

I take it the first item ill need will be a TDS meter cos from what I can gather my system will depend on its reading  !?!?!?

WavieDavie

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 05:59:58 pm »
have you looked here?  http://www.d.co.uk/

If you're building your own system, this is the Bible.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 06:10:17 pm »
Cheers Wavie,

Yeah ive got that in my favourites

Do I have to buy a TDS meter b4 deciding on what components

wightsurf

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 07:10:16 pm »
TDS meter just shows the level in the water,nothing to do with your set up.
I got 100 gpd ro-di-unit suits me ,it comes with a built in TDS.
Good luck

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 08:10:41 pm »
Oh Right,

I thought the levels in the water would determine what DI and RO units I would require.

Could anyone let me know what van systems they have, I would want a stand alone van system that would process its own water without a static system that would keep 2 guys busy all day without refilling

Cheers Guys

steve k

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 02:57:19 am »
if you have really soft water you might be able to just use a DI resin to achieve 000tds...how often this resin becomes exhausted will depend upon the hardness of your water. The lower the TDS, the longer the resin will work.

I have a van mount system which had the RO system installed within the van. This meant that at end of each day, I would have to immobilise my van by parking it up for 4 hours attached to a water supply while the water went through the RO system and into my tank.
The best thing I have done is to remove the RO setup from the van and install it in my shed linked to 2 water butts holding 450litres.
Inside the butts sits a submersible pump connected to 10 metres of 1 and a half inch delivery hose which runs across my garden and is attached to the frame of my back gate.
Inside my van tank is a metre of same delivery hose...I now pull up, pull out the hose from tank, connect to submersible pump hose and plug in submersible pump...the water is pumped rapidly into my van tank and the whole process from opening the van doors to driving away with a full tank of pure water takes 10 minutes.
While I am out cleaning, the system is filling up another 450 litres of water into the water butts. If I need a top up, it`s back home for a 10 minute refill and a bite to eat.

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 08:34:20 pm »
Brilliant Steve,

Thats really helpful and definitely something to think about at least that way on a beautiful summers day you could get as much done as you want and not have to stop when your van runs out, although im looking to move soon (baby due) so might have to go with the van mounted RO unit for now but when we're settled i'll certainly replicate your set up.

Looking at a hard water map im in moderately hard to hard water area, so a hard water system it is  :(