Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

formb

Weird uPVC problem
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:53:02 am »
I have an issue with a customers door. I have been cleaning this house for 6+ years never had an issue. She phoned me up after last clean to say her door was streaky. I go back to re clean it but it's not streaks at all.

Even the letter box has been effected

Any ideas? I tried to clean it with uPVC cleaner but it did nothing.

formb

Re: Weird uPVC problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:55:43 am »
It appears that there is some kind of paint / coating on the door that has been damaged

formb

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:35:05 pm »
Better picture

Mike #1

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 12:47:02 pm »
Much better so it is an Oak finish door never come across anything like this before apart from 2 pvc green doors which have a small amount of white staining in the wood grain effect .

Now i know we as windys always clean the doors but i would always recommend custys doing a little bit of cleaning as well .

In the last house we owned we had a black wood grain effect pvc door and every 8 weeks or so i would clean the door with something like Amorall dashboard wipes then went on to use a cleaner with UV protectants in and never had any problems and after 4 yrs door still looked brand new . Mike

formb

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 12:51:20 pm »
I have spoken to the people who supplied the door. Not very helpful to be honest. They seemed to be aware of the problem (not my customers door, but other similar doors) and told me to try WD40?? I will give that a go tonight but I don't hold much hope for it.

Dave Willis

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 01:21:50 pm »
Have you been using magica onego, g101, tfr, virosol or ubik2000?

rosskesava

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 01:39:08 pm »

The only time I've seen anything like that was when I was working with someone else cleaning up a first floor flat's windows and frames. He had scrubed the frames with a hard surface cleaner that contained sodium hydroxide (caustic soda which are in g101, magica one go, strong arm, etc).

After he'd rinsed down the upstairs window with wfp, the upstairs frames looked great when dry but the window frames downstairs and underneath looked exactly the same as in the picture although they were white and not oak colour.

It had also dried on the glass downstairs and it took loads of water and lots of arm work with those green sponge things to get it off the glass.

What we did about the streaks was to thoroughly clean up the downstairs window frames with the same stuff.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

formb

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 02:29:34 pm »
Quote from: Dave Willis

No just purified water. There is a frame round the door and windows either side they are unaffected.

formb

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 02:32:26 pm »
Quote from: rosskesava
What we did about the streaks was to thoroughly clean up the downstairs window frames with the same stuff.

Sorry I am confused by your post. Do you mean the streaks on the windows or the frames? By the same stuff do you mean caustic soda or green sponges?

Avo

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 02:56:42 pm »
So before cleaning it the last time it was fine,then you cleaned it as you normally do and this happen??
Have you ever in the past 12 months used anything apart from water??

scottt24

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 02:59:11 pm »
Are you sure the customer hasn't used something on it after you've gone ??
Thanks,
              Scott

Avo

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 03:01:53 pm »
How longs the door been installed??
Never seen this ever!!

formb

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 03:09:48 pm »
Quote from: Avo
So before cleaning it the last time it was fine,then you cleaned it as you normally do and this happen??
Have you ever in the past 12 months used anything apart from water??

No.

Quote from: scottt24
Are you sure the customer hasn't used something on it after you've gone ??

She says no and I have no reason not to believe her.

Quote from: Avo
How longs the door been installed??
Never seen this ever!!

Me neither. According to the people who installed the door it's been in 8 1/2 years (still under 10 year warranty)

home6442

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 03:38:05 pm »
Has the door been painted ?
If so it just the paint breaking down over 8 years is good going without a repaint.
Have seen this in wooden painted doors if its the same problem then nothing other
than a repaint will do.
Has it been repainted since the last time you done them ?
I always allow at least 4 weeks before cleaning newly painted surfaces with pure.
I cleaned sills that had been painted a week before some of the paint lifted off like plastic
and some had marks like the ones your showing.

rosskesava

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 04:11:03 pm »
Quote from: rosskesava

Sorry I am confused by your post. Do you mean the streaks on the windows or the frames? By the same stuff do you mean caustic soda or green sponges?

Both really. We used green sponges and the hard surface cleaner to clean off the streaks left by the hard surface cleaner that ran down both the windows and frames.

Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

landy2

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 04:32:12 pm »
to me it looks like the glaze and colour fading leaving the base colour

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 04:35:01 pm »
The only time I have had this result was on a painted door when cleaned with G 101.

PoleKing

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 05:58:14 pm »
Has she had her door serviced?
Lubricated hinges/lock?
You say the side lights are unaffected.
It would lead me to believe that there was something (perhaps on the top rail) dried, like an oil or silicone etc then your water has 'reactivated' it and its streaked...
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

niceandclean

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 06:28:48 pm »
I have an issue with a customers door. I have been cleaning this house for 6+ years never had an issue. She phoned me up after last clean to say her door was streaky. I go back to re clean it but it's not streaks at all.

Even the letter box has been effected

Any ideas? I tried to clean it with uPVC cleaner but it did nothing.

Don't use a standard UPVC cleaner on any foiled or coloured plastic. You can buy cleaners that are specifically made for foils.

robertphil

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 06:58:24 pm »
iv seen a few letterbox flaps like that,some almost new. they never clean up with buffing