This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JW1

Urgent help changing resin cartridge please
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:01:00 pm »
Hi

I've been WFP for less than a month, and to say it hasn't gone smoothly would be an understatement  >:(

Anyway, I need to change the resin cartridge but I can't seem to do it.

I've got the housing off, but cant pull the internal cap off.

I've been told to use the John Guest plumbing as the handle - but it won't budge.

(frustratingly, I can't seem to upload photos either, but it's one of these I think   http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/EZ-Pure-21--Housing---Carbon-Sediment-Insert-EZ_PURE_DI_COMPLETE.html  )

Any suggestions please?

Lee GLS

Re: Urgent help changing resin cartridge please
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:15:23 pm »
Are you talking about the end on the internal canister? If so I think they need to glue breaking, you can do this by heating with a hair dryer, after you have filled it put the cap back on and use insulation tap to seal it back together, it will need quite a few wraps to ensure not leaks.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:16:52 pm »
Hi

I've been WFP for less than a month, and to say it hasn't gone smoothly would be an understatement  >:(

Anyway, I need to change the resin cartridge but I can't seem to do it.

I've got the housing off, but cant pull the internal cap off.

I've been told to use the John Guest plumbing as the handle - but it won't budge.

(frustratingly, I can't seem to upload photos either, but it's one of these I think   http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/EZ-Pure-21--Housing---Carbon-Sediment-Insert-EZ_PURE_DI_COMPLETE.html  )

Any suggestions please?

I will attempt to help.

First of all the head of the housing will need to be removed. To do so follow the instruction on this video at 7:50min into the video. I use a length of tubing with a John Guest T fitting on top. This can take quite a firm pull and can help if you twist it as you pull. It may help to twist the head in position before pulling off - this can be done by using the stainless steel locking pin in the grooves to twist the head which helps break the seal.

Then you need to remove the whole of the DI insert - to do this get a pair of pliers and grip firmly one of the black vanes on the top of the insert and pull and twist the insert out.

Once removed you will need to then re-fill the DI insert (if it is a refillable version). Make sure that the resin is very tightly packed into the insert before taping the lid back in position.

I will try and shoot a video in the next day or so showing exactly how to do these stages.

Any other question please feel free to email me on alex@agardiner.co.uk

I remember my first few months of WFP and it really does seem like one issue or hassle after another. Gradually it all becomes familiar and gets easier as time passes.

JW1

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 11:59:00 pm »
Thanks for confirming that I needed to persevere 

Eventually, after wrestling with it for another 15 minutes, it came away quickly (cut in hand from sharp edge to prove it).

It had definitely jammed somehow.

I understand the need to have them in tight, but that was ridiculous.

Poor design in my opinion.

I've put a refillable cartridge in (I think). Do I throw the old non-refillable one away or can it be converted to refillable?

Now I'd better go and rest my back and hernia caused by the 2hour cartridge change.

Ps I'm no weakling  :o

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 08:11:56 am »
Thanks for confirming that I needed to persevere  

Eventually, after wrestling with it for another 15 minutes, it came away quickly (cut in hand from sharp edge to prove it).

It had definitely jammed somehow.

I understand the need to have them in tight, but that was ridiculous.

Poor design in my opinion.

I've put a refillable cartridge in (I think). Do I throw the old non-refillable one away or can it be converted to refillable?

Now I'd better go and rest my back and hernia caused by the 2hour cartridge change.

Ps I'm no weakling  :o

It sounds like the rubber O ring seal has dried out somehow causing it to stick. Next time you take apart it would be good to lubricate the O ring seal with some silicone lubricant and it should simply slide out in moments.

You should know if you have replaced the DI with a refillable insert as you would have bought it empty and had to fill it with DI resin and then tape the bottom cap in place with electrical tape.

If you haven't had to do this then you probably have replaced it with another single use ready filled insert.

With the old single use ready-filled insert you have removed from the unit you can (if careful) remove the electrical tape from the join and then use a sharp knife and on the bottom black end cap slide the knife between the cap and body to break the glue all the way around. Once done then empty out, re-fill very tightly with resin and tape the cap back on with electrical tape.

JW1

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 08:28:56 am »
Thanks again Alex.

I was told my new refillable one was shipped to me full

'The refillable you will have received has come with the Resin as Alex personally packed it for you. Normally though you would refill them yourself.'

It must be ok, because it allowed me to get back to producing and TDS2 dropped back to zero.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 08:39:34 am »
Thanks again Alex.

I was told my new refillable one was shipped to me full

'The refillable you will have received has come with the Resin as Alex personally packed it for you. Normally though you would refill them yourself.'

It must be ok, because it allowed me to get back to producing and TDS2 dropped back to zero.

Hi John

I did not know that you were a Grippatank client. Yes you will have received this DI unit ready filled by myself.

JW1

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 09:06:56 am »
I didn't think it best to mention names and details last night, given the mood I was in  >:(

I agree, I think a stuck O ring was the cause.

JW1

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 02:20:10 pm »
Hi Alex (or anyone else that can help) - if you're about I'd reaaly appreciate some help again please.

10 part-time days work have gone by since the last change on May the 8th, and my TDS1 reading started to creep to 2 on Thursday then 5 on Friday.

Using the online resin calculator I should only be changing every 11 weeks or so.

I stopped the fill and waited until today to swap the cartridges, and I've got the same problem as before (the cartridge won't budge) but this time the pipe just pulls out of the JG fitting when I pull it.

I am left with only a third of a tank for work tomorrow (and that's not even at zero)

Any help greatly appreciated please.

PS I can't believe this is a convenient way to change resin - especially if it's gonna be every 3 weeks   :o :o

JW1

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 10:27:27 am »
Well I finally wrenched the cartridge out with a pair of mole grips and applied a tiny amount of Vaseline to the o-ring.

I put a new pre-filled cartridge in and put it all back together (had to re-connect all the JG connectors as I'd removed them to use to pull the cartridge)

Finally I'm making water TDS2 is 14 (normal for me) TDS 1 is 2 though with a new cartridge?

I managed to get the cap off the bottom of the re-fillable cartridge (didn't know whether to remove the top or  bottom at first)

Filled it with resin (don't know how much to put in - just tried to pack it in hard)

Anyway, I might get out of the house by 11:30  >:(

I'm having almost daily problems with WFP, countless emails and phone calls, plus I'm using a cartridge every 3 weeks.

Missing my ladder and bucket days